Post-Game Talk: Mr. Holtby goes to eat chowdah in Bawston 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Would you rather have Jack Johnson with the Pens? Pen D group is worse than the Caps D group, but collectively with the forwards they play better team D than the Caps. Caps support from the forwards needs to be better, so as to take pressure off the Caps D-group.
I don't know I've heard Caps have built their 3rd line primarily for defensive and penalty killing purposes. If they can't support the D then you have to questuon GM's work in the offseason too. As for Jensen and Johnson...they both stink, who cares?

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Man, Boston will need a little bit of “home advantage” to not have their hands full with a Metro wildcard team.

Also, Pasta is a f***ing moron after seeing what started the bench scuffle. You should never try and pull Wilson from the bench even if the linesman is there

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Positive: after that horrible start glad to see the caps outplayed them the rest of the way. I’m sure Boston kinda took their foot off the gas, but oh well. It’s one game, moving on.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Positive: after that horrible start glad to see the caps outplayed them the rest of the way. I’m sure Boston kinda took their foot off the gas, but oh well. It’s one game, moving on.
Caps outshot the Bruins 5-1 or so after the initial PKs till the garbage calls on Vrana and Kuzy.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Bad game, they didn't show up and goalies couldn't save anything, these games happen. Moving on.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Welp, games like this are bound to happen

Only real takeaway, we've been taking way too many penalties for most of the year, esp. these last 2 games (questionable calls or not), good for Rierden benching Kuzy+Vrana after 5th goal and rest of 2nd pd (they had 1 18sec. shift after Caps goal)

2nd and 3rd weren't too bad actually, couldn't find the back of the net at all, OV went wrecking ball which is always fun to see

Reactions: Corby78

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Ov, Wilson and Oshie. Wrecking crew. Would love to know what Ov was saying to their bench after the game. He was pointing his finger. That cant be a good sign for Boston if they play again
almost forgot about Oshie's crushing hit on McAvoy? surprised that didn't start huge brawl
Caps are pretty unique having 3 punishing hitters in Top-6
[understatement]An engaged OV is a dangerous thing for the opposition[/understatement]

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
almost forgot about Oshie's crushing hit on McAvoy? surprised that didn't start huge brawl
Caps are pretty unique having 3 punishing hitters in Top-6
[understatement]An engaged OV is a dangerous thing for the opposition[/understatement]

Pretty sure Ov was upset about Alex Luey and then how the game was going. Ive noticed that Ov gets bent when these bad games happen. Wilson put Krug out of the game and then Oshie on McAvoy. The Boston boards are losing their minds that the Bruins can get pushed around that like that and have so little in response.

Jack Edwards was talking about Wilson and recounted when Ian Cole took the cheap shot at Kuznetsov and he said the Wilson "hit him with 17 straight rights and broke his head. I don't think Cole will ever take another cheap shot at a Caps player again." Then Brick added that on top of that Wilson has legit finish and is maybe the only player in the league that has both. Later they talked about Oshie and the heart that he plays with. Then later Edwards talked about Ovechkin being a once in a generation player that is as dangerous with the puck as he is with a hit.

Those guys totally respect what the Caps have.

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I already crapped the main boards up with this take but Boston is in for a lot of pain. Chara is no longer a deterrent and even if he is to some extent he's gone soon. Backes is a hit/fight away from ending up like Deadmarsh. Kevan Miller is probably done. Lucic, Boychuck, Campbell, Thornton are long gone. They have the dirtiest/most reviled player in the league and McAvoy/DeBrusk aren't exactly well liked. Teams are going to be lining up to take their pound of flesh.

First time I've ever seen a team lose 7-3 and the winning team's fans are freaking out while the losing team's fans are content and the neutral consensus is that the winning team got their shit pushed in

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
As good as the Capitals (and Bruins) look now, don't dismiss the possibility that one of them ends up in the wild card. Especially given how competitive the Metro is.
Really doubt there is an Atlantic Wildcard this year. A couple Metro teams would have to bottom out and the rest of the Atlantic teams would have to not suck. Current Wildcards' 46 points would put an Atlantic team in 2nd and only 7 points back of the Bruins.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait...you are not presenting the possibility that the Caps drop to a wild card spot. Are you?
Yes. I'll put it this way. Carolina is currently the holder of that final wild card spot, and they have the 8th most points in the entire league and 5th best goal differential in the league. The Metropolitan division is stacked this year, and a good team is going to end up in those WC spots.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. I'll put it this way. Carolina is currently the holder of that final wild card spot, and they have the 8th most points in the entire league and 5th best goal differential in the league. The Metropolitan division is stacked this year, and a good team is going to end up in those WC spots.

A good team? I can buy that. For the Capitals to blow an 11pt lead and fall from 1st to 7th would indicate a collapse. You see the Caps collapsing? Ok then

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A good team? I can buy that. For the Capitals to blow an 11pt lead and fall from 1st to 7th would indicate a collapse. You see the Caps collapsing? Ok then
Shifting 11 points over 46 games is not a collapse. The Hurricanes are on a 102 pt pace. The Capitals could play .500 hockey the rest of the season and still fall behind Carolina's current pace. If a couple of the teams behind the Caps get hot...

I'm not saying it's likely, but I don't think you realize how crazy competitive the Metropolitan is this season. Carolina would be tied for 3rd place in the Western Conference right now, with games in hand against Vegas and Arizona. League wide, 5 of the top 8 teams in goal differential are in the Metro. With the way the metro is playing, all it takes is a stretch of mediocre hockey from the Capitals, not even truly bad hockey, and this is a race again. Especially when you consider the Capitals are 4-3-1 in the only 8 games they've played against Metro division opponents this year. They still have 3 games against the Islanders, 3 games against the Hurricanes, 3 games against the Flyers, and 4 games against the Penguins remaining on the schedule. There's plenty of opportunity left for those teams to make up ground against the Capitals if they play well in their head-to-heads.

longtime lurker

Dec 4, 2018
I already crapped the main boards up with this take but Boston is in for a lot of pain. Chara is no longer a deterrent and even if he is to some extent he's gone soon. Backes is a hit/fight away from ending up like Deadmarsh. Kevan Miller is probably done. Lucic, Boychuck, Campbell, Thornton are long gone. They have the dirtiest/most reviled player in the league and McAvoy/DeBrusk aren't exactly well liked. Teams are going to be lining up to take their pound of flesh.

First time I've ever seen a team lose 7-3 and the winning team's fans are freaking out while the losing team's fans are content and the neutral consensus is that the winning team got their **** pushed in

I agree with all of this. The winning team was left in far worse shape and their fanbase is in turmoil, with even less confidence in their ability to beat a team they just beat 7-3. They know it was a fluke and they got exposed.

Let's just hope the league doesn't coddle the Bruins if they meet in the playoffs. I feel like it's Boston's only path to victory against the Caps, in a best of 7.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Shifting 11 points over 46 games is not a collapse. The Hurricanes are on a 102 pt pace. The Capitals could play .500 hockey the rest of the season and still fall behind Carolina's current pace. If a couple of the teams behind the Caps get hot...

I'm not saying it's likely, but I don't think you realize how crazy competitive the Metropolitan is this season. .....
If the Caps somehow fall off a cliff and literally only get 50% of the remaining points that puts them at 101
They've gotten 75% of the points so far (123 pace), don't expect them to keep at that pace but it's pretty likely they'll finish at 110 or better, which is about 60% of remaining points
Car pacing at 102, Pit and Phi pacing for 104/105 or so
I'd be happy if Caps/Isles are fighting for 1st to end the season, anything to keep them sharp going into the second season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->