Mr. Bugg's Top 30

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Every week, I write a column for the fantasy hockey website Dobber Hockey. Below are the full writeups- a few sentences about each player- but I've also included the full list with no commentary for space's sake.

1. Logan Couture
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Jakub Voracek
4. Sam Gagner
5. Karl Alzner
6. Angelo Esposito
7. Patrick Kane
8. James Van Riemsdyk
9. Kyle Turris
10. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
11. Keaton Ellerby
12. Bill Sweatt
13. Mikael Backlund
14. James O'Brien
15. Nick Petrecki
16. Alexandre Plante
17. Maxim Mayorov
18. Tyson Sexsmith
19. Sergei Korostin
20. Thomas Hickey
21. Mike Hoeffel
22. Dana Tyrell
23. Michael Biega
24. Brandon Sutter
25. Jon Blum
26. Tommy Cross
27. Teddy Ruth
28. Kevin Shattenkirk
29. Zach Hamill
30. Trevor Cann

You can see just how deep this draft is. No Bashkirovs, no Veilleux, no Perron, no Tanguay, Leclerc, Doyle, Gillies, White, Cohen, Aliu, etc. While there may not be a lot of sure-fire top-end talent, literally any player in the top 60 could be chosen in the first round and I don't think there'd be that much uproar.

And the unabridged Top 30:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
This is deepest draft I have seen in years. No one stoods out and it is nearly impossible to know what each team will choose. Like you said, anynone in the 60 could go in 1st round.

Every week, I write a column for the fantasy hockey website Dobber Hockey. Below are the full writeups- a few sentences about each player- but I've also included the full list with no commentary for space's sake.

1. Logan Couture
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Jakub Voracek
4. Sam Gagner
5. Karl Alzner
6. Angelo Esposito
7. Patrick Kane
8. James Van Riemsdyk
9. Kyle Turris
10. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
11. Keaton Ellerby
12. Bill Sweatt
13. Mikael Backlund
14. James O'Brien
15. Nick Petrecki
16. Alexandre Plante
17. Maxim Mayorov
18. Tyson Sexsmith
19. Sergei Korostin
20. Thomas Hickey
21. Mike Hoeffel
22. Dana Tyrell
23. Michael Biega
24. Brandon Sutter
25. Jon Blum
26. Tommy Cross
27. Teddy Ruth
28. Kevin Shattenkirk
29. Zach Hamill
30. Trevor Cann

You can see just how deep this draft is. No Bashkirovs, no Veilleux, no Perron, no Tanguay, Leclerc, Doyle, Gillies, White, Cohen, Aliu, etc. While there may not be a lot of sure-fire top-end talent, literally any player in the top 60 could be chosen in the first round and I don't think there'd be that much uproar.

And the unabridged Top 30:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Thanks for posting this up!

I agree with you on most analysis on players you made. Good overall job!

But, I think you miss a player in the top 30,he's Keven Veilleux.You should put more time on this kid,he's in my opinion in the top 10.

Also, I think Esposito will be the bust of the 2007 draft. I do not see a better upside than Jan Bulis!

I am also surprised with Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in the top10, honestly, i do not have enought info on him to put him in the top30. I would like you put more words on him

turnbuckle*

Alexandre Plante? He's a western boy - the list of western lads named Alexandre is pretty short.;)

Not a bad list - Biega and Sexsmith are way too high tho, while Sutter and Blum are way too low IMO. Couture first and Kane seventh? If the NHL had a preference for plodding over speed I'd say yes, but such is not the case. Turris is looking more and more like a top five pick, perhaps top three.

Snoopy

Mar 5, 2005
sexsmith

if Sexsmith goes in the first round I'll eat my hat. The guy is mediocre.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Like the list! Only issue I have is the goalies, I really don't think there are any 1st round calibre goalies in this draft. The top goalies are 2nd/3rd round at best IMO.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Like the list! Only issue I have is the goalies, I really don't think there are any 1st round calibre goalies in this draft. The top goalies are 2nd/3rd round at best IMO.

agreed. No goalies should be in the first round this year

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
What has Esposito done to be ranked ahead of guys like JVR and Kane?

There's still that question of what Esposito actually is. You don't score almost 100 points as a 16 year-old and then lose all of that. You also have to remember that Esposito has 17 more points than the next-nearest '89 born. Have Kane and (to a much lesser extent) Van Riemsdyk had better seasons than Esposito? Kane, clearly, and you could put in an argument for 'JVR', but put Espo in the Knights program and Kane with the Remparts and I don't know that the points gap is so big.

Alexandre Plante? He's a western boy - the list of western lads named Alexandre is pretty short.;)

Not a bad list - Biega and Sexsmith are way too high tho, while Sutter and Blum are way too low IMO. Couture first and Kane seventh? If the NHL had a preference for plodding over speed I'd say yes, but such is not the case. Turris is looking more and more like a top five pick, perhaps top three.

I really, really like Biega. I think he'll be at least an all-situation third liner, and if you can get that in what is already a consensus no-top-end draft at the 23rd pick, you've done okay.

As for Couture Vs. Kane, Kane has him outskilled by a country mile.
But in terms of overall effectiveness, the gap appears a lot wider thanks to Couture's bout with mono. You've also got to look at the team he's on- while he may not have 90+ points, Brett Liscomb is well on his way to shattering his previous career high of 47 points- he has 39 already- and Jamie McGinn only collected 10 points while Couture was out. His first game back, McGinn had 2-2-4.

In the skating department, Couture may be no Paul Kariya, but he's no Jason Allison, either. When you couple that with his character, vision and playmaking ability, I don't see how you can go wrong.

When coupled with my defense of Esposito, I come off as being a big 'ole Kane hater. I understand what kind of talent he has. But Voracek at one point was the next Hossa and a surefire #1 pick. Then it was Gagner, with Kane in the background as an all-hands-no-substance dynamo. Now it's Kane who is ahead of everyone who has come before him. And that's all this season! Couture has quietly gone along business leading his team in every situation, and his skillset isn't anything to shake a stick at.

agreed. No goalies should be in the first round this year

The last time no goalies were chosen in the first round was back in 1992. I see that 15-year streak continuing- the guys in this draft class, Sexsmith especially, are really underrated in my opinion.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
2 things for someone who doesnt know a ton yet about this draft yet (as i usually try and figure it out more in may and june) but what are some good comparisons for some of these guys... and two, what potential does sexsmith show?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
great job, something to note is alot of character guys are given the nod be it high end or barely squeaking into the first round IE. Couture/Tyrell. That is something that will distinguish people trying to evaluate talent. The prospects with the drive will most likely prove their nice draft rankings in time. The guys that lack the heart Espo? will show why they slipped.

I just do not like the man crush on Plante. He's not that physical for a 6'5'' man. And as a Ranger fan, I do not think I want another Malik who is a 6'5'' offensive dman.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Good write up... though Kane will certainly be a Top 5 pick IMO. And I agree with the other posters that there won't be a goalie drafted in the 1st round this year. It's a very weak year for keepers, I'm afraid.

I like that you have Cuniti rated in the top 10. I personally hope my habs steal him with their 1st rounder.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
2 things for someone who doesnt know a ton yet about this draft yet (as i usually try and figure it out more in may and june) but what are some good comparisons for some of these guys... and two, what potential does sexsmith show?

Couture is a less-dynamic Yzerman. He's also nowhere as good as a goal-scorer.

Voracek always gets compared to Hossa, and that's more than fair.

Gagner is a more physical Spezza; Kane, a faster-skating Schremp.

Alzner compares favorably to Cam Barker.

Van Riemsdyk, poor man's Roenick.

Mayorov is sort of neat- he's like a smaller, less-skilled Ovechkin.

As for Sexsmith, you'll see a lot of uncertainty from fans about him due to the dominant team he backstops, but the kid has a great mental game. He can win you any contest. I think he has the potential be as good as Irving is.

excellent writeup bugg...

can your assessment of a few other players?

Cade Fairchild
Ryan Macdonagh (Cretin-Durham HS)
Keven Veillieux

Fairchild: Always gets forgotten about due to the depth of USNTDP's blueline. He's a lanky, skilled puckmover. Has no problem moving it in any direction around his body, and nice little bit of agility to have in a rearguard. The big problem with him is that he doesn't have that drive that seperates the very good from the okay. I'd like to see him play with more of a killer instinct.

Macdonagh: A bit overrated, I think. I don't see anything overly special.

Veilleux: A very, very interesting player, if nothing else. He's getting super-hyped around here thanks to his skillset and finishing ability. If he finishes with 75 points I'd say that's an excellent year for him. This is one of those 'anywhere in the top 60' guys I was talking about.

I just do not like the man crush on Plante. He's not that physical for a 6'5'' man. And as a Ranger fan, I do not think I want another Malik who is a 6'5'' offensive dman.

I personally wouldn't be adverse to drafting a decent blueliner like Malik. If that's the worst Plante could do, sign me up.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Hmmm, don't really see that comparison, even if you tone down the dynamic factor.

Yzerman's halmark was an absolutely breath-taking skating stride with tremendous goal scoring ability. Couture is a cerebral offensive player who has average speed, great hands, superior offensive instincts and who who sets people up more than he scores.

I'd actually compare Couture to a couple of former 67's - Andrew Cassels and Bobby Smith. Marc Savard is another comparison, although Couture might be a bit better two-way guy at this age for what that's worth.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The last time no goalies were chosen in the first round was back in 1992. I see that 15-year streak continuing- the guys in this draft class, Sexsmith especially, are really underrated in my opinion.

I have to agree because Colorado is in desperate need of a goalie prospect, and I'm sure some other teams can use one. It's a big gamble for the Avs if they choose to wait to pick one up in the 2nd, and even then they will probably trade up to nab one.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's still that question of what Esposito actually is. You don't score almost 100 points as a 16 year-old and then lose all of that. You also have to remember that Esposito has 17 more points than the next-nearest '89 born. Have Kane and (to a much lesser extent) Van Riemsdyk had better seasons than Esposito? Kane, clearly, and you could put in an argument for 'JVR', but put Espo in the Knights program and Kane with the Remparts and I don't know that the points gap is so big.

I'm not really even talking about points, though. They are kind of moot, IMO.

Espo might put up a lot of points but I just don't think his game is suited for the NHL as much as guys like JVR and Kane's are. I don't think he's as smart a player as the other two, either.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Voracek always gets compared to Hossa, and that's more than fair.

Gagner is a more physical Spezza; Kane, a faster-skating Schremp.

Alzner compares favorably to Cam Barker.

Van Riemsdyk, poor man's Roenick.

Mayorov is sort of neat- he's like a smaller, less-skilled Ovechkin.

As for Sexsmith, you'll see a lot of uncertainty from fans about him due to the dominant team he backstops, but the kid has a great mental game. He can win you any contest. I think he has the potential be as good as Irving is.

Fairchild: Always gets forgotten about due to the depth of USNTDP's blueline. He's a lanky, skilled puckmover. Has no problem moving it in any direction around his body, and nice little bit of agility to have in a rearguard. The big problem with him is that he doesn't have that drive that seperates the very good from the okay. I'd like to see him play with more of a killer instinct.

Macdonagh: A bit overrated, I think. I don't see anything overly special.

Veilleux: A very, very interesting player, if nothing else. He's getting super-hyped around here thanks to his skillset and finishing ability. If he finishes with 75 points I'd say that's an excellent year for him. This is one of those 'anywhere in the top 60' guys I was talking about.

I personally wouldn't be adverse to drafting a decent blueliner like Malik. If that's the worst Plante could do, sign me up.
Great list and I agree with alot of this. IMO Kane has the best sense in this draft but my comparison would be Ray Whitney. He may be undersized but that sense will make him a quality NHLer and a natural PP player.

Any thoughts on Moller and Repik?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I really disagree on the Kane / Schremp comparison.

Kane is not only faster, but I think he's a much smarter player. He doesn't shy away from traffic much, either.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bugg- Thanks for all the work!

Can't comment all that much, have only seen little of 7-8 guys, and only around 3 players that I've seen more of.

Though trust me, Pat Kane will go high in this draft, really high.

He not only have allot of skills, he is really smart too.

If my team took Cherepanov, Voracek or Gagner over Kane Id be really pissed.

I wouldn't be concerned on any aspects of Kane's game, thats more then I can say of Voracek, its really easy to get the puck on your stick with all of room moving towards the enemy net in the QMJHL. Great skillset, yes. Can he get involved enough offensivly in the NHL? If he does how much will he really contribute? Will he be one of thoose players who scores allot but never really lifts his teams game?

Of the guys I've seen, Cherepanov, Voracek, Gagner and Kane, Pat is actually the only one who I would say got franchise potential in the new NHL. The conditions have changed.

Daniel Briere is a extremely valueble player in the game today, even more valueble IMO then a Ilya Kovalchuk or Marcel Hossa, or Jarome Iginla. Why? Because he can be a dominant force against a collected D, on the rush, in the attacking zone. Nobody could be that with the old rules, nobody could be a force against a collected D. Now dynamos like Kane, who regulary gets back on time, forces turnovers, picks them up and can turn with it under pressure and get gooing the other way contributes more overall IMO then what for example Hossa contributes with.

Using the parimeters that applyed before the rulechanges were made, Kane is a 7-8the overall pick, now I could see him gooing first overall.

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Agree with you in part. To say that Briere is more dominant then Jagr in the new NHL is IMO wrong. But to say that Kane should be the #1 pick over anyone, I totally agree with you.

Bugg- Thanks for all the work!

Can't comment all that much, have only seen little of 7-8 guys, and only around 3 players that I've seen more of.

Though trust me, Pat Kane will go high in this draft, really high.

He not only have allot of skills, he is really smart too.

If my team took Cherepanov, Voracek or Gagner over Kane Id be really pissed.

I wouldn't be concerned on any aspects of Kane's game, thats more then I can say of Voracek, its really easy to get the puck on your stick with all of room moving towards the enemy net in the QMJHL. Great skillset, yes. Can he get involved enough offensivly in the NHL? If he does how much will he really contribute? Will he be one of thoose players who scores allot but never really lifts his teams game?

Of the guys I've seen, Cherepanov, Voracek, Gagner and Kane, Pat is actually the only one who I would say got franchise potential in the new NHL. The conditions have changed.

Daniel Briere is a extremely valueble player in the game today, even more valueble IMO then a Ilya Kovalchuk or Marcel Hossa, or Jarome Iginla. Why? Because he can be a dominant force against a collected D, on the rush, in the attacking zone. Nobody could be that with the old rules, nobody could be a force against a collected D. Now dynamos like Kane, who regulary gets back on time, forces turnovers, picks them up and can turn with it under pressure and get gooing the other way contributes more overall IMO then what for example Hossa contributes with.

Using the parimeters that applyed before the rulechanges were made, Kane is a 7-8the overall pick, now I could see him gooing first overall.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Daniel Briere is a extremely valueble player in the game today, even more valueble IMO then a Ilya Kovalchuk or Marcel Hossa, or Jarome Iginla.

Clearly Briere is better than crappy Hossa, he's probably as important as Kovalchuk, but Danniel Briere is nowhere near as important as Jarome Iginla. Iginla is the most complete player in the game right now, hands down, he scores, plays on the PP, kills penalties, wins faceoffs and fights ; just does everything well. Drury is about the most comparable thing the Sabres have. He does everything on that team and is mr Clutch.

I'm not sure if Plante is as good as you say he is Mr. Bugg. His defensive gaffes the last two games make me think he will drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad