OT: Moving to Houston

MildAvaholic

Jan 7, 2007
Houston, Texas
Howdy y'all. We are relocating to Houston after living in Utah for the last 13 years. Does anyone have suggestions on getting Avs games there? Obviously Altitude is no longer a regional channel in Texas. Maybe a Texas expat might have some advice. Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to the upcoming season and would love to be to watch my team.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
NHL Center Ice would be my best bet on how you could get Avs games. Besides getting the games make sure you check out the Houston Rodeo in March and try El Tiempo for good Mexican food.

Reactions: MildAvaholic

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My sister-in-law and her family used to live there. No doubt there's something for everyone in Houston, because that city is insanely huge. There was a nice tapas bar they frequented that was really nice.

About the only bad thing I can say about Houston is that it has without a doubt the very worst airport I've ever had the displeasure of traveling through.

But yeah, just go with Center Ice, NHL TV is notoriously unreliable.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Stars' fan and former Houston resident for 22 years here. NHL Center Ice and those various online packages are your best bet. Houston isn't a very hockey-friendly city, unfortunately.

As for city advice, try the tex-mex. It's far better than anywhere else in the country (unless you travel closer to the border, obviously). The rodeo is a lot of fun and always has big names in concert. The Rockets and Astros are both highly competitive teams now, with the Rockets having two of the best NBA players and the Astros being World Series favorites currently.

The city is ridiculously huge spatially. Always check the map before you decide to go somewhere. I used to have to commute 1-1.5 hrs one-way just to play hockey - getting from one side of the city to the other is time consuming and long. The airports aren't really close to major population centers, either. I also recommend not hanging out in the areas around the airport.

There's a lot more, but I'll leave it at that. Feel free to PM me.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
About the only bad thing I can say about Houston is that it has without a doubt the very worst airport I've ever had the displeasure of traveling through.

Never been to O'Hare I see. Flew through Houston twice this summer (Phoenix to New Orleans stops there). One of the better domestic transit airports I have used in the US. No clue how the rest of it is though. O'Hare is the flat out worst international airport I have ever been in. And that is saying something :)

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Never been to O'Hare I see. Flew through Houston twice this summer (Phoenix to New Orleans stops there). One of the better domestic transit airports I have used in the US. No clue how the rest of it is though. O'Hare is the flat out worst international airport I have ever been in. And that is saying something :)

Nope I’ve been through O’Hare twice and had no issues. I know that one is notorious but I can’t say I’ve had a bad experience there...yet.

Houston on the other hand has to be one of the worst layouts for an airport I’ve ever seen. Made it so just running to get food between flights was a major chore. Of course it may have been remodeled since then but I and my family have run into multiple problems with that hub.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Nope I’ve been through O’Hare twice and had no issues. I know that one is notorious but I can’t say I’ve had a bad experience there...yet.

Houston on the other hand has to be one of the worst layouts for an airport I’ve ever seen. Made it so just running to get food between flights was a major chore. Of course it may have been remodeled since then but I and my family have run into multiple problems with that hub.

If you think ORD is bad, avoid NYC’s LaGuardia at all costs.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stars' fan and former Houston resident for 22 years here. NHL Center Ice and those various online packages are your best bet. Houston isn't a very hockey-friendly city, unfortunately.

As for city advice, try the tex-mex. It's far better than anywhere else in the country (unless you travel closer to the border, obviously). The rodeo is a lot of fun and always has big names in concert. The Rockets and Astros are both highly competitive teams now, with the Rockets having two of the best NBA players and the Astros being World Series favorites currently.

The city is ridiculously huge spatially. Always check the map before you decide to go somewhere. I used to have to commute 1-1.5 hrs one-way just to play hockey - getting from one side of the city to the other is time consuming and long. The airports aren't really close to major population centers, either. I also recommend not hanging out in the areas around the airport.

There's a lot more, but I'll leave it at that. Feel free to PM me.

I'm still stunned at how BIIIIIG Houston was. My in-laws took us out and then we drove on the highway for a while to our next destination and I said "where are we now?" They of course said "You're still in Houston." Good God.

I thought the Aeros had a decent following, but maybe not. If indeed the Rockets owner follows through and buys/relocates a franchise, I imagine it'll become hockey-friendly in due time.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm still stunned at how BIIIIIG Houston was. My in-laws took us out and then we drove on the highway for a while to our next destination and I said "where are we now?" They of course said "You're still in Houston." Good God.

I thought the Aeros had a decent following, but maybe not. If indeed the Rockets owner follows through and buys/relocates a franchise, I imagine it'll become hockey-friendly in due time.

Yep. One of the largest metro areas you’ll find. They’re just finishing a 3rd highway loop through the major suburbs and I think it takes about 6 hours to travel that entire loop :laugh: For reference, though, Beijing is working on their 8th loop.

The Aeros had a respectable following but they’ve been gone for several years now. I can’t see Houston getting an NHL franchise anytime soon and it looks like the AHL door has been closed as well. No team is going to want their AHL franchise that far away (Dallas’ AHL team is already well established in the Austin area). Dallas dominates Texas for hockey - they take all the decent youth talent, have far better resources, and a much larger fanbase.

IAH is a poorly designed airport and its older but its certainly not the worst. Hobby is probably in the running for worst, though, especially counting the surrounding area.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
My sister-in-law and her family used to live there. No doubt there's something for everyone in Houston, because that city is insanely huge. There was a nice tapas bar they frequented that was really nice.

But yeah, just go with Center Ice, NHL TV is notoriously unreliable.

It is? I remember having Gamecenter Live and it seems to work 3-4 years ago. I've have NHL Center Ice for years but I was thinking of switching over due to the 'archives' feature. If I miss a game on Center Ice, I'm screwed but if I miss a game with NHL TV/Gamecenter, I can always go back and watch it later.

I won't switch if it's unreliable.

Was just looking up the info and while they don't seem to have their different packages options available, it seems 6 Avs pre-season games will be available this year according to this info : NHL LIVE Streaming - Know Your Blackouts in Canada

I entered my region and my team and the 6 pre-season games came up.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
After the first two months of NHL.tv taking over from GCL, I've never had a problem with it. Freaking looks glorious on PC and really good on my TV via a Roku box.

But yeah, the first month or two, it was painful...lots of issues but I don't recall having a single problem this last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad