Moving to Berlin

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
Hey guys, I'll be moving to Berlin next week and I was wondering if it'd be ok to wear a Blackhawks jersey to an Eisbaeren game? Will I be harassed? or is it just a dumb idea? I'll be going through hockey withdrawals so this will be my way of coping with the move.:laugh:
Thoughts?

Coq Rouge

Madame Terror
Jun 14, 2013
I haven't been to an Eisbären game, but to other DEL, Elitserien and NHL games and I have never had a problem with wearing a jersey from a team from a different league.

If it's not from a rival or another team from the same league, you should be absolutely fine.

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would look stupid even though I dont really care about that I just dont some Ultras chasing me back to the U2.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would look stupid even though I dont really care about that I just dont some Ultras chasing me back to the U2.

It might look odd to a lot of people, but any comment you'd get would be in German, and if you would say "I only speak english" they'd most likely walk away anyways to avoid speaking english. :laugh:

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
oh no! I'm fluent in german! Well, I guess I'll keep the sweater to my apartment...

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
oh no! I'm fluent in german! Well, I guess I'll keep the sweater to my apartment...

I don't think you need to worry too much.
I haven't actually been to a game in recent years. But even on TV you can often see people in the stands wearing sweaters of NHL teams. Although in Berlin you are more likely to see people wearing L.A. Kings jerseys since they have the same owner, I doubt anyone is really going to bother you about a Hawks sweater.

I don't think there will be anything more than a few raised eyebrows. If there were to be any comments they would likely be in good humor, and not to be taken serious.

If you want to be completely safe get yourself an Eisbaeren scarf or something, but I doubt that is necessary.

Sealink

Jul 23, 2006
Nürnberg
As long as you don't want to stand in the "Fankurve" wearing an "Adler Mannheim" jersey (or former local rival Berlin Capitals), you should be fine with whatever jersey you wear.

There are always fans at Eisbären games that wear jerseys from leagues other than the DEL.
Depending on the team, you can even see fans wearing an opponent's jersey in the "Fankurve".

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
As long as you don't want to stand in the "Fankurve" wearing an "Adler Mannheim" jersey (or former local rival Berlin Capitals), you should be fine with whatever jersey you wear.

There are always fans at Eisbären games that wear jerseys from leagues other than the DEL.
Depending on the team, you can even see fans wearing an opponent's jersey in the "Fankurve".

..and you shouldn't wear a jersey from the Düsseldorfer EG, or Weisswasser or Rosenheim. Otherwise it could lead to some problems.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
what happened to hockey? in the 90s i was able to stand in the frankfurt block with a kassel jersey and the only thing i got was free beer, some funny comments and met new people to talk about hockey.

that being said, in every arena these days NHL jerseys are common. doesn't matter which one. feel free to wear any NHL jersey in any german arena. no big deal.

Sealink

Jul 23, 2006
Nürnberg
..and you shouldn't wear a jersey from the Düsseldorfer EG, or Weisswasser or Rosenheim. Otherwise it could lead to some problems.

Compared to Mannheim, none of these should lead to problems.
And depending on the name on the back (and maybe the people you're at the game with) not even a Mannheim jersey will really cause problems. Just strange looks and more or less stupid comments, but nothing serious.

what happened to hockey? in the 90s i was able to stand in the frankfurt block with a kassel jersey and the only thing i got was free beer, some funny comments and met new people to talk about hockey.

At least during the regular season that hasn't changed. Sure, idiots are everywhere, but in general you can wear whatever you like without being chased out of the arena.
I'm frequently wearing different non-Eisbären jerseys to the games and never had any problems.

Elverpond

Sep 21, 2011
thanks for all the replies guys! I have had bad experiences in Germany at football games before and I found the hockey fans to be more chill. Now to find some hockey to play in Berlin...

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Hey guys, I'll be moving to Berlin next week and I was wondering if it'd be ok to wear a Blackhawks jersey to an Eisbaeren game? Will I be harassed? or is it just a dumb idea? I'll be going through hockey withdrawals so this will be my way of coping with the move.:laugh:
Thoughts?

I usually wear NHL jerseys to DEL games, too. You always see plenty of people with NHL jerseys - DEL jerseys look more like moving billboards.

Melphiz

Oct 23, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Go wearing old Flyers jersey with Brière on it, the fans will love you ;)

No, really, I can't say having seen many if any people here wearing NHL jerseys at all, ours are expensive enough even for replica :D

feitur

Apr 21, 2013
What is the best place to get Eisbären tickets?
I also just moved to Berlin, been here a month. I was at Warschauer Straße the other day right before a game started, it was so cool to see people all over the station wearing Eisbären merch.

Is it frowned upon to go to a game wearing a Berlin Capitals jersey, even though the team doesn't exist any more?

Sealink

Jul 23, 2006
Nürnberg
What is the best place to get Eisbären tickets?
Best (cheapest) place to get ticktes would be here:

Totalarmour
Konrad-Wolf-Str. 70
13055 Berlin

Or you can buy them online here: online ticket-shop

go to a game wearing a Berlin Capitals jersey
I'd say that this is still not a good idea.
Don't know how fans in the upper level would react, but at least around the "Fankurve" I wouldn't show up in a jersey from our former local rival.

feitur

Apr 21, 2013
Sealink! thank you for the info, will hopefully go and see a game soon.

Ahump90, I am just going to support my "local" team, is Adler one of Berlin's rivals?

feitur

Apr 21, 2013
are there any bars where you can watch NHL in Berlin?
I guess you can't see the games that start at 7ET anywhere, but I am just thinking about the Matinee games

Melphiz

Oct 23, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Yep, wearing a Preussen (Berl. Caps) jersey surely won't be the best idea to wear.

Adler = Adler Mannheim, the only real rival that's left for the Eisbären.

A bar where you can watch NHL, uh ... good luck finding one.

If you're going to watch an Eisbären game ... you may want to wait until we've changed the coach (haha) or the players have found their skills again ... you wouldn't enjoy icehockey at all at the current state. The game yesterday was so terrible, I couldn't describe with words. It's hard enough to support the team when it's playing like everyone's new to icehockey and the team ... ffs

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
are there any bars where you can watch NHL in Berlin?
I guess you can't see the games that start at 7ET anywhere, but I am just thinking about the Matinee games

I don't think that any bar shows NHL in Germany, because no TV-channel has the TV rights at the moment. The best way to watch NHL is to get Game Center.

feitur

Apr 21, 2013
OK, I'll wait until later in the season to attend a game.

I won't be purchasing gamecenter this season, because Germany's time zone is even worse than the icelandic when it comes to following american sports.

So I guess I will just stream the "matinee" games "illegally" then instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad