Proposal: moving malcolm subban

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
assuming the b's lock up tuukka long term, why should the bruins keep an asset like subban around? svedberg, although never seeing him play a game i figure will be at least a capable backup in the NHL, other teams need goalies..why not cash in your chip with subban to a team that has assets to help strengthen the current roster or down the road. if tuukka signs for 6 years like projected, you have more then enough time to find goaltending in future drafts as the contingency plan when/if tuukka leaves or regresses in 2020.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I can see trading him when his stock is way up in 2 or 3 years. He's still 4 years away from starting at the earliest. He's very raw. If they lock up Tuukka for 6 or 7 years, I can see them moving him in 2 summers from now if he eventually makes it to backup here. You'd get a king's ransom for him if he was playing well, kind of a reverse Luongo Schneider situation, more of a Bernier situation just hope they would get a little more than that.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I can see trading him when his stock is way up in 2 or 3 years. He's still 4 years away from starting at the earliest. He's very raw. If they lock up Tuukka for 6 or 7 years, I can see them moving him in 2 summers from now if he eventually makes it to backup here. You'd get a king's ransom for him if he was playing well, kind of a reverse Luongo Schneider situation, more of a Bernier situation just hope they would get a little more than that.

Exactly.

His trade value certainly isn't going to go down in juniors, but it also probably won't go up. Like CBF said, he's still years away. I am very open to moving Subban, but not this year where the goalie market is so saturated with names. I would wait at least 2 more seasons (next offseason as the VERY earliest) before looking to move Subban.

But OP you're correct, he certainly will have value.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Exactly.

His trade value certainly isn't going to go down in juniors, but it also probably won't go up. Like CBF said, he's still years away. I am very open to moving Subban, but not this year where the goalie market is so saturated with names. I would wait at least 2 more seasons (next offseason as the VERY earliest) before looking to move Subban.

But OP you're correct, he certainly will have value.

what if subban regresses? Not all prospects develop the way they should. If he for instance can not adjust to AHL level of play which is a considerable jump from junior, will trade partners back off of him? everyone agrees he is raw yet super athletic. So if he nose dives in the AHL next year, won't his stock go down? Coming off a good year in junior, i cash in now. hannu toivonen was also a first round pick, but i bet 3 years after he was drafted his stock was lower then it was 1 year after as teams saw him as a lackluster talent.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
if Tuukka signs for 6ish years, that gives Subban 3-4 in junior/AHL and 2-3 as Tuukka's backup. Then the B's will have a better idea of what they have and what they will do.

If they trade Subban they would have to give up an asset at some point to reload at the goaltender position, and that guy would probably be behind Subban on the development curve

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
what if subban regresses? Not all prospects develop the way they should. If he for instance can not adjust to AHL level of play which is a considerable jump from junior, will trade partners back off of him? everyone agrees he is raw yet super athletic. So if he nose dives in the AHL next year, won't his stock go down? Coming off a good year in junior, i cash in now. hannu toivonen was also a first round pick, but i bet 3 years after he was drafted his stock was lower then it was 1 year after as teams saw him as a lackluster talent.

You take that chance. What are you going to get for him right now?

Guys like Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Roberto Luongo etc are on the block and Jonathan Bernier just got traded. Teams are going to look at those guys before coming for Subban. Obviously I understand that's not the best comparison b/c Subban is years away, but right now is a bad time to trade a goalie with the names available out there, IMO.

What could you honestly expect to get back for Subban at this point in his development? This might be a case where he is even an NHL backup behind Tuukka for a year before he's dealt.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You take that chance. What are you going to get for him right now?

Guys like Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Roberto Luongo etc are on the block and Jonathan Bernier just got traded. Teams are going to look at those guys before coming for Subban. Obviously I understand that's not the best comparison b/c Subban is years away, but right now is a bad time to trade a goalie with the names available out there, IMO.

What could you honestly expect to get back for Subban at this point in his development? This might be a case where he is even an NHL backup behind Tuukka for a year before he's dealt.

wasn't it rumored that the flames wanted subban in the iginla deal but chiarelli said no? So i guess you get a veteran top 6 forward for him if you trade him now

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
wasn't it rumored that the flames wanted subban in the iginla deal but chiarelli said no? So i guess you get a veteran top 6 forward for him if you trade him now

Well maybe if it's Feaster :laugh:

That may or may not be true. But I wouldn't generalize. Just b/c Feaster was willing to trade a top 6 forward for him doesn't mean that's a general consensus. And Iginla is old, it's not like you're going to get a prime-of-his-career top 6 winger.

There's more to be had in return by letting Suban develop and get even better.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
I think Subban is worth a lot more to the Bruins than most other teams precisely because they have immediate term depth in net. They have the luxury of having him develop at a gradual pace. Rask spent 4 years overseas and in the AHL before he became an NHL regular, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins wouldn't have a similar timeline in mind for Subban.

Squirrell71

Offensive
Mar 24, 2011
Vermont
Rask long term, Dobey walks, Svedberg called up to backup. All of a sudden that goaltender depth begins to shallow. I feel as though Subban is pegged for future starter. You'll always need an insurance plan for Tuukka. He has issues going a full normal season healthy. I don't even think of trading him.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
No decision on Subban needs to be made. What does PC want? Get a top 10 pick? Even if PC makes up a package with Subban the player he drafts is still 2 years away?

Your idea in moving Subban has no specifics, it is serving as an eye catcher.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
No decision on Subban needs to be made. What does PC want? Get a top 10 pick? Even if PC makes up a package with Subban the player he drafts is still 2 years away?

Your idea in moving Subban has no specifics, it is serving as an eye catcher.

i didn't list a specific asset or player for subban because i don't know/care what it is. the bruins goaltending depth is deep, and they might need help in other areas, so trade from a strength to shore up a weakness. top 15 pick, top 6 forward. something like that

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
i didn't list a specific asset or player for subban because i don't know/care what it is. the bruins goaltending depth is deep, and they might need help in other areas, so trade from a strength to shore up a weakness. top 15 pick, top 6 forward. something like that

Im with you on this.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec

Bruins are hesitant in playing AK, he walks. They call up the Swede and he plays on egg shells. Subban does not appear to be ready (2 years max down the road) now you're up s_it creek with no oars.

You want to trade from strength (so you say) to shore up a weakness?

I like AK and would give him more starts, at least 15 starts. The other 2 have not really proven anything.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would trade Subban if we could get a top 10 pick in this year's draft, maybe a team like NJ? I know Subban is considered a great prospect, but I have never been that high the guy, seen him play lousy in big games at the U18 and WJHC and it just seems like he does not have elite goalie written on him, more like the puck hits him rather than him making the save. I would much rather have this Fucale kid in this year's draft. They should explore what teams in the top 10 may be interested and if a deal can be made then they can look at getting a good player in the draft maybe even the goalie Fucale whom I think is far better and it would give him a couple more years in junior since Rask will be signed long term anyway.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Assuming his stock will be "way" up in 2 or 3 years

Goaltenders and D....toughest positions to predict when it comes to the development and speed of which they develop

I`m generally a risk averse kinda guy, but with no pick til #60 spot if not mistaken?? I`d like to see Chia get a touch assertive and try to move up and if that means Subban....so be it, but not Subban to pick in say the 20-30 spot, has to be closer to the top than that

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal

We would not get a top 6 forward for Subban if we traded him now. Not a chance. And even if we did, how would we pay him when we're not even sure we can afford to keep our own players?

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

But do the Bruins have that much of a "weakness" organizationally where you consider giving up this kind of asset?

I don't believe so.

Goaltender is the most important position in hockey because so few play the position. It comes down to pure numbers. The Bruins can afford to shore up any "weaknesses" with other players in the system, and not sacrifice a large part of the overall big picture of the organization. Short-term gratification is nice and all, but this is an organization willing to look at how to succeed down the road too.

You don't want to sell the farm if the need isn't there. It's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00