Moving back the start time of Sunday games on NBC

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
A Bruins-Rangers game is on NBC at noon on Sunday.

That's too early for viewers in Mountain/Pacific time, which would be 10/9 AM local.

I suggest moving back the start time of NBC's Sunday afternoon games to 3 PM ET, so it is not as disruptive to local schedules in the Western US.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
PT time here. The only time I watch the Sunday NBC games is if my team is playing in them.

(Now, in COVID times, I can often "attend" church early in the am on my couch, but this Sunday, I'm actually participating in a live service. Still would miss the half of first period.)

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
For nationally televised games, would it not be much different than the NFL putting their eastern games at 1pm EST and western games at 4:30 EST?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
A Bruins-Rangers game is on NBC at noon on Sunday.

That's too early for viewers in Mountain/Pacific time, which would be 10/9 AM local.

I suggest moving back the start time of NBC's Sunday afternoon games to 3 PM ET, so it is not as disruptive to local schedules in the Western US.

Not happening. They would be breaching their PGA Tour contract

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Not happening. They would be breaching their PGA Tour contract

Exactly. The NHL is taking the time they are given not the other way around. Having said that NBC tends to show teams on the East Coast and the start time reflects that.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Bottom Line to Level Set the OP's Logic: The NHL & its broadcast network partners schedule games primarily for regional fanbases, not national ones. This is true in the U.S. and in Canada When a game involves teams from the West, they are scheduled to sync up with viewership in that region. If you're a fan of teams from another region, there are LOTS of view-on-demand media options these days for anyone who wants to see a tired old BOS-NYR matchup.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I preferred waking up in the middle of weekday nights in Denmark to watch Penguins games to watching hockey at 9am on a Sunday.

To be fair I make the same complaints about 10am football on Sundays.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
About 75% of the US population lives in the Eastern and Central time zones. Seems pretty easy to see why they wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on the Mountain and Pacific zones.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Western Conference teams need to move their start times up, we can't all stay up until 1am (see how that sounds).

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
BC resident here, i don't mind the 9/10 pacific time early starts on Sunday, its a great way to initiate a lazy sunday having hockey in the morning. A lot of us already do it for football.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I preferred waking up in the middle of weekday nights in Denmark to watch Penguins games to watching hockey at 9am on a Sunday.

To be fair I make the same complaints about 10am football on Sundays.

This has to be the first time I've ever heard someone complain about kickoff time for NFL games out west. I would be ecstatic about the 10am kickoffs.

Now, the 4:30am Premier League and 6:30am Bundesliga games, though...that might be more of an undesired challenge.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Western Conference teams need to move their start times up, we can't all stay up until 1am (see how that sounds).

Solve the issue of work and post work commute traffic so fans can be at rink for 5pm puck drop.

(The NHL has decreed that Stanley Cup Final games start at 5pm PT and there are a lot of PT folks who take time off work to make it. But many bosses wouldn't be happy for a full season.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->