Movies: Movies so bad you left the theater early.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've only ever walked out of one movie and it was Happy Feet. Not because it was bad but I just wasn't in the mood for it and went to go watch Borat instead.

Worst movie I saw in theaters and sat all the way through was Nic Cage's Season of the Witch. What a pile of garbage. I only stayed because my date thought the movie was good. Didn't date her much longer than that.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I went to transformers two and I ended up falling asleep. I was by myself; does that count?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Never have walked out of a theater, but came close for Master of Disguise and Saving Silverman. I try my best not to leave to use the restroom, but I definitely recall doing that for Tomb Raider and Jurassic World.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I can't remember what movie we originally saw, but after it was over we snuck into Rush Hour 2

I don't think we lasted 30 minutes before heading out

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I've only ever walked out of one movie and it was Happy Feet. Not because it was bad but I just wasn't in the mood for it and went to go watch Borat instead.

Worst movie I saw in theaters and sat all the way through was Nic Cage's Season of the Witch. What a pile of garbage. I only stayed because my date thought the movie was good. Didn't date her much longer than that.
Funny you should mention that, but if I had watched that it a movie theater I probably would have walked out.... probably. I did suffer through the whole thing, because I heard it was amazing and oh so funny, so I stubbornly kept convincing myself, maybe the funny parts are coming soon.... they never did :( :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet! by Alain Resnais. kihei praised it, but I got really annoyed by the way the actors just repeat the lines again after they were already spoken by someone else. To be fair, it was something different, but I got so frustrated that I left halfway through and actually enjoyed a conversation with someone else.
:laugh:

I have sat through some really bad ones though, because this is my way to show the filmmakers some respect. Last year was Mango Stand, and this year it was Synonyms. Both are just garbage, as they fail to crack 1 out of 10 on my scale. I gave 0 and 0.5, respectively.
:laugh:

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I've thought about getting up and leaving way more than actually doing it

I don't really go to big commercial movie theaters a lot anymore but if I do it's usually to go watch movies I know I won't be walking out of (and even then, it's gotten so expensive I'd probably just sit it out anyway). Actually I don't think I have ever walked out of a commercial movie theater at all.

When it happens, it's mostly at filmfestivals where you get to see cheaper, more artsy stuff and the risk is bigger. Last one I walked out of was a Japanese movie called "The Garden Apartment", that was last year at a filmfestival in Rotterdam. The year before, and I can't really remember where it was, I also walked out of a Russian movie that was putting me to sleep. So it's mostly unknown movies that don't really amount to much anyways.
The most well known movie I walked out of at a festival is probably Alexander Payne's "Nebraska" I really, really hated that one while the entire rest of the crowd thought it was hilarious for some reason.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Can't recall leaving an actual theater but the wife and I tried watching Transformers: The Last Knight at home awhile back and turned it off like 30 minutes in. It was a horrendous pile of shit and you could tell that Wahlberg was only there to collect a paycheck. Definitely would have walked out if I saw it in theaters.

Edit: Thought of two more that I didn't walk out but would have if it wasn't for various reasons.

Holmes and Watson was so bad but we watched it with some family members so we stayed till the end. The Lone Ranger almost made me fall asleep, which I never do in movies, but it was the first of two movies being played at the local drive in theater and didn't want to leave because the 2nd movie was clearly the better one.

Last edited:

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Came close once with Kung Pow, Enter the Fist.
Only time I actually left early was because the projector crapped out and they couldn't fix it. It was right in the middle of the famous highway chase scene in the Matrix 2.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Funny you should mention that, but if I had watched that it a movie theater I probably would have walked out.... probably. I did suffer through the whole thing, because I heard it was amazing and oh so funny, so I stubbornly kept convincing myself, maybe the funny parts are coming soon.... they never did :( :laugh::laugh:
I mean I was like 13 at the time. I thought it was hilarious.

Reactions: hangman005

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good boys. That movie was awful. There's some other ones but that's the only recent one.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tree of Life. I lost it at how pretentious it was and started laughing uncontrollably, so I left to avoid bothering the two other people watching.
I didn't leave but I was laughing pretty much throughout the third act of Insidious 2 and pissed off damn near the whole theater. The best moment was this point in the film where the main character is in this spirit realm or whatever (not gonna lie I got pretty drunk before the movie) and this nice spirit lady from the first movie warns him that there's a spirit right behind him. Guy turns around and sure enough there was a spirit behind him, the only surprise being that it was kind of grotesque looking but otherwise was just standing there in a kind of goofy way. I'm the only person in the theater who found this hilarious but the rest of the theater including my friends yelled out in terror and I know for a fact I heard someone spill a ton of popcorn in fear and I was laughing so hard that I almost fell out of my seat.

Someone a few rows back of me yelled "what the f*** is so funny?!?" and through laughter I managed to respond "the movie WARNED you!" which did get a few laughs so I think it saved me from getting my ass kicked. Looking back I probably should have just left to not spoil it for everyone else but the last act of that movie was too funny to me to leave.

The Master. Almost walked out of Inherent Vice. I think I’m just not a PTA fan
Inherent Vice is pretentious schlock. I would have walked out if I had seen it in theaters. I saw it on a plane and changed it to something else after about a half hour.

I did like the Master quite a bit though.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Only movie I walked out of was "Titanic. Till this day I don't get the hype.
Almost walked out of "Ad Astra" and thought about leaving "The Lighthouse".

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
When I was a student, I'd often pay the 10$ to get in at 1PM and watch 5 films in a row going from one to the other, not knowing exactly what I was watching. Nowaday, when I move my dead weight to the theater, it's usually because I know about the director.
Wow. The most I did was three in a row once and that was taxing.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Master. Almost walked out of Inherent Vice. I think I’m just not a PTA fan
Everyone's got their own tastes but this is one of the most shocking answers I've ever seen lol. I would get Inherent Vice though.

For me I've never walked out of a theater or stopped watching something I've like exclusively paid for. I've changed other things quickly though like on Netflix. That movie Polar I stopped watching after the opening scene.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Hmmmm. I can only remember walking out of two movies in paying experiences. One was the adaptation of Coriolanus from a few years back. I was about halfway through and realized I just wasn’t in the mood. Wasn’t that it was bad necessarily, I just had a strong urge to do something else. Never returned to it.

The other was LOTR: Return of the King but this is a little more of an extenuating circumstances situation. The first time I went to see it and there was a fire alarm in the theater about 1 hour in. Theater gets evacuated. Everyone gets a free pass to come back. Didn’t feel like going back in and finishing after the delay. I go back a few days later to try again. I get about 20 minutes in and decide I’m not in the mood for 3.5 hours of this. So I leave again. Finally a few days later I pick out a showing and go an hour late so I don’t have to rewatch the beginning yet again.

The only movie I truly feel like I walked out of in the traditional sense was M. Hulot’s Holiday. It wasn’t a paid situation. It was in a theater for a class, but I left about 40 minutes in in an extreme state of agitation and have refused to watch any Jacques Tati ever since.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
L.A. confidential

tenor.gif

Reactions: aufheben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad