OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Ogrezilla Your Loki post reminds me...

Have you ever seen The Night Manager?

I am re-watching it with my gf since she hasn't seen it and doesn't believe me that Tom would be a fantastically suave James Bond with enough bite to him where he'd do the more vicious Bond some justice as well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Lethal Weapon 5 episode came out 8 years ago. The one where they become black people came out last year I think, right?

I really think it's a vocal minority. I'm confident it could be made today. You need to make the right jokes about those topics, but that was true back in the day for Brookes too. The key is that the sensitive topic isn't the butt of the joke.

It's a vocal minority as a representation of the population, but the problem is that a disproportionate number are involved in media in some way. This gives them the power to scare off advertisers/investors, who generally don't want that sort of attention, whether the attention is warranted or not.

There's no chance of Tropic Thunder being made in this sort of environment.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's a vocal minority as a representation of the population, but the problem is that a disproportionate number are involved in media in some way. This gives them the power to scare off advertisers/investors, who generally don't want that sort of attention, whether the attention is warranted or not.

There's no chance of Tropic Thunder being made in this sort of environment.
I would buy that if Robert Downey Jr was playing a black guy. But he wasn't. He was playing a white guy who was playing a black guy. RDJ's character was the butt of the joke the whole time. It was making fun of method acting. The whole movie was a satire of Hollywood.

There is nothing about Tropic Thunder that is at all similar to that ScarJo situation. Not even a little bit. Hell, that ScarJo situation is a whole lot closer to the in-movie scenario of a white guy playing a black guy that Tropic Thunder was blatantly mocking.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly, now would be perfect. There's just so much material with social media, the black lives movement, hollywood's idea of diversity, Harvey, metoo allegtaions, metoo false ones, crazy rich asians movie...

A guy like Mel Brooks would absolutely crush with that kind of material.
I think if the right people were to get behind it and they actually had a good script, they could make that today. The key is to not make those topics the butt of the jokes. Like in Tropic Thunder. The actual black guy was never the joke. The ridiculous white guy acting like a black guy was. Hell, that was true even back with Mel Brooks. It's not like those movies are racist. They make jokes about race, but never at the expense of the minority.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I would buy that if Robert Downey Jr was playing a black guy. But he wasn't. He was playing a white guy who was playing a black guy. RDJ's character was the butt of the joke the whole time. It was making fun of method acting. The whole movie was a satire of Hollywood.

You are operating under the assumption that the outraged cyber-mobs do nuance. They do not.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm watching Barry Lyndon and it's really good but I can see why American audiences didn't like it.

One of my top 10 movies of all-time...which, now that I consider it, makes a good deal of sense considering that Kubrick was the only American director on that list...and he was living and working exclusively in England at the time.

Chevy Chase is still funny, so long as you're not watching anything made after Fletch.

He had some great moments in Community...that he didn't understand...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I guess I'll just have to disagree. Again, where's the outrage for always sunny doing blackface? I see more complaints about people being too PC than I see examples of outraged PC police changing anything.

At this point it's just people being hypersensitive to people, or the idea of people, being sensitive. They're also probably going to look bad when people look back on this time as well. It's a little bit funny.

There's this disconnect between smart and well written shows or movies being able to things and lazy crap not being able to. Tropic Thunder would get made today and be received well because it was mocking Hollywood and the RDJ character itself was the joke. It hasn't stopped being a relevant problem in a decade. Michael Bay does Tropic Thunder would not go over well if he managed to get it made.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So, apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to remake Jacob's Ladder . . .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Currently watching Naked Gun 2 1/2. :laugh:

I love these movies.

First one was awesome.

Hell, I even loved the TV show.

Actually met Leslie Nielsen once. Guy was in the hotel lobby of what (I believe) was The Intercontinental Hotel in Hilton Head making use of a whoopie cushion.

Ironic to think that before these and Airplane that he was purely a dramatic actor.

Reactions: Andy99

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
There is a fine line to be walked here in regards to political and/or social commentary. While in some cases it may be relevant to the discussion, it is best to be done in very, very broad strokes. If I can identify your affiliations from your comments, your strokes aren't broad enough. Rather than ruin things for those who can walk the line, those who can't will be thread banned. Consider this to be a policy for all threads going forward. No politics means no politics.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad