OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
So I'm looking for a good series to watch at the gym and sometimes at work. So I'm looking for something that is SFW. I figure I'll just avoid HBO for that :laugh: My first thoughts are Chuck or Psych. Other suggestions?
Chuck is a fun show. I recommend it. I bet it was a really good role to help Levi get the Shazam gig.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The jump scare in ep 8 of the Haunting of Hill House has ruined my life.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The jump scare in ep 8 of the Haunting of Hill House has ruined my life.
Lol, I rewatched the show to find all the ghosts, it was a blast even a second time around.

I do wish I got startled or scared though, I feel like I am missing out on the fun of horror movies and shows because of that. It's like going to a comedy and never laughing because it doesn't affect you in a humorous way. It's quite lame because I thoroughly do enjoy horror.

Reactions: Jacob

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
#1 is Fraser.

MFO1Dt8QOUY7dMXZSUs5dVqiR84=.gif

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Arrow is so bad. I liked the first few seasons but yikes. They are building up on my dvr, and I was thinking of just deleting them, but I have an idea. I'm going to try fast forwarding through every scene that has Felicity in it. I figure it will cut the show length down by 30% and eliminate 90% of the pointless blathering and hand-wringing.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Arrow is so bad. I liked the first few seasons but yikes. They are building up on my dvr, and I was thinking of just deleting them, but I have an idea. I'm going to try fast forwarding through every scene that has Felicity in it. I figure it will cut the show length down by 30% and eliminate 90% of the pointless blathering and hand-wringing.
:laugh:
Yeah, Arrow sucks, it's like too many people are trying to cash in on too many super hero shows nowadays, probably based on Marvel & DC developping their arc movies stories which incidently, featured a shit load of new exploitable super heroes. This whole genre is due for plateauing but then again, lots of it is mega budget entertaining shit so i still end up watching most of it. Meh...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Happy! season 2 has been a letdown. I was worried they'd fall into the sequel one-upsman trap, and they have. The show is just silly now. How disappointing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh:
Yeah, Arrow sucks, it's like too many people are trying to cash in on too many super hero shows nowadays, probably based on Marvel & DC developping their arc movies stories which incidently, featured a **** load of new exploitable super heroes. This whole genre is due for plateauing but then again, lots of it is mega budget entertaining **** so i still end up watching most of it. Meh...
Titans was good and Doom Patrol has been solid as well.

The issue isn't super hero shows being in abundance, it's the CW making anything. They have a clear formula and it sucks ass. Disney is now going to roll out like what, 30 new tv shows based on their marvel guys? That is going to be nuts and not in a good way.

And yeah, the moment Felicity became a regular, Arrow (which was half decent) went downhill so f***ing fast. She's like that Kristin Kreuk actress from Smallville, anytime that show got decent was when she had little to no air time and was off for a bit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Titans was good and Doom Patrol has been solid as well.

You need to pay to watch those, don't you? I'd like to watch Doom Patrol especially, but I already pay for too many streaming services.

The issue isn't super hero shows being in abundance, it's the CW making anything. They have a clear formula and it sucks ass. Disney is now going to roll out like what, 30 new tv shows based on their marvel guys? That is going to be nuts and not in a good way.

And yeah, the moment Felicity became a regular, Arrow (which was half decent) went downhill so ****ing fast. She's like that Kristin Kreuk actress from Smallville, anytime that show got decent was when she had little to no air time and was off for a bit.
Yeah the CW seems like a mess. Netflix got it about half right, but then got it about half really really wrong too. They just couldn't seem to do the more supernatural parts well at all. I'd say they fell in to the pretty easy trap of prioritizing the plot (and the connectivity between them) over the characters. That is the main strength of the MCU, so I'm hoping that translates to the shows.

Last edited:

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
1c8ace8f-every-company-disney-owns-13_pageversion-lg.jpg

I had no idea Disney owned this much.
At this point it's a borderline obscene monopoly and more than a little concerning to say the least media wise. But hey, if it's big budget entertainment we're gonna watch it anyway within this leisure mind based civilisation era...

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The show is called...

WANDAVISION?!?!?!?!

If it involves them bending reality to try to create a normal life together, that could be a pretty good name. Corny, but fitting the apparent 50s aesthetic.

I like that it's 6 hours long. That's pretty short for a tv series.

Last edited:

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
If it involves them bending reality to try to create a normal life together, that could be a pretty good name. Corny, but fitting the apparent 50s aesthetic.

I like that it's 6 hours long. That's pretty short for a tv series.
Yeah, it's the trend tho, less episodes, usually longer ones like GOT. People with decreasing attention span/super busy lives like that. Personally i love to watch series 'en rafale' (one episode after the other), it's like movies with popcorn/beer breaks between episodes.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Can someone explain to me what it's like being an adult in your 30s and actually caring about Marvel vs. DC?

As a purely anthropological study, of course. I don't care about the merits of either.
I've never understood it. I'
m sure the actors love it though. Big money and generally over several films. Of course, many of them take "supplements" to add 30lbs of muscle in 5 weeks so it's not like it doesn't come with a cost.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can someone explain to me what it's like being an adult in your 30s and actually caring about Marvel vs. DC?

As a purely anthropological study, of course. I don't care about the merits of either.
Fun. It's some of my favorite characters from growing up in fun well made movies. What's not to like?

edit: oh are you talking about caring about one vs the other? If so, yeah that's dumb.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, it's the trend tho, less episodes, usually longer ones like GOT. People with decreasing attention span/super busy lives like that. Personally i love to watch series 'en rafale' (one episode after the other), it's like movies with popcorn/beer breaks between episodes.
I don't think it's just a matter of the attention spans or anything. I think most shows end up adding content just to fill a run time.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Seeing Avengers later, looking forward to it
Nice!

I have tickets to see it next weekend. The theatres in my area sold out fairly quickly for the thurs-tuesday showings so i have to wait a bit longer but am still pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad