OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
BTW, I'm a mark for Three Days of the Condor. An underappreciated fave.

A great spy movie to be sure. I'm due for a rewatch of that.

Incidentally, I caught Alfredson's adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a few weeks back and thought it was decent, much better than what I was expecting!

Reactions: KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's got a sort of Human Centipede 2 thing, where it thinks being loud or weird or visually flamboyant makes it clever, when that all just makes it blatantly annoying. To me, it's a dumb movie that's convinced that it's groundbreaking. I might have liked it better with a worse actor in the lead. At least then, I might have been able to laugh at it.

Aha, I getcha.

I think if you're the kind of viewer who can deal with Refn's pretentiousness, then that's half the battle. I thought the same thing about Valhalla Rising until I watched it again about 3 or 4 years ago and then I really got into it.

Weirdly enough, his first films are the complete opposite of pretentious. The Pusher series is super gritty, and fairly realistic and might be up your alley, Billy. I like his quasi-art school stuff too, but that's probably because I'm a pretentious jag at heart. ;)

Reactions: billybudd

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A great spy movie to be sure. I'm due for a rewatch of that.

Incidentally, I caught Alfredson's adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a few weeks back and thought it was decent, much better than what I was expecting!

Great casting and acting, and a great choice to keep it simple from an adaptation perspective.

Oh, and with a Tom Hardy sighting for the Hardy bunnies here. :laugh:

EDIT: Okay, new question . . . Christian Bales finest work as an actor happened before or after he turned 14?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Great casting and acting, and a great choice to keep it simple from an adaptation perspective.

Oh, and with a Tom Hardy sighting for the Hardy bunnies here. :laugh:

EDIT: Okay, new question . . . Christian Bales finest work as an actor happened before or after he turned 14?

Ok, I’ll bite...Empire of the Sun was great, but come on...it was after...I’d put his American Psycho performance up against that any day...

Reactions: Ogrezilla and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ok, I’ll bite...Empire of the Sun was great, but come on...it was after...I’d put his American Psycho performance up against that any day...

Well that's the debate. :laugh:

Purely as an aside, gotta think that @HandshakeLin would be Daniel in a HFBoards reimagination of The Man Who Would be King, yes?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I saw that on one of my streaming services and I was wondering if it was worth a watch. I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan, so it has that going for it, but I hated Travolta's version, so... :dunno:
3:10 to Yuma is one of my favorite western films that was remade recently. I love westerns and grew up on the Spaghetti Westerns by Leone, Clint doing what he did best way back in the day, watching them with my Dad. I recently saw the original movie adaptation of the stories, Felicia Farr...hot damn.

Also, Justified was an amazing show, I wish it never ended. Also still mad that they cancelled Karen Sisco. I am not a fan of the Get Shorty movie or Be Cool though.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
While at my parents over the holiday we had Blade Runner 2049 recorded on the DVR but never found (enough) time to watch it. I did rewatch Hombre, which is probably my favorite Western.

Blade Runner 2049 is, without comparison, my favorite sequel ever. Rare is the sequel that manages to not just improve upon the original - but improve the original just by existing.

Not bad for a movie I wrote off as having no reason to exist when I first heard about it being in production.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blade Runner 2049 is, without comparison, my favorite sequel ever. Rare is the sequel that manages to not just improve upon the original - but improve the original just by existing.

Not bad for a movie I wrote off as having no reason to exist when I first heard about it being in production.

I absolutely love all 4 versions of the original one that I have seen and have copies of through various means (theatrical, international, directors and final cut). I thought the new one, the sequel, captured everything that the original was about and continued the story in an intriguing enough way that it didn't feel like a money grab that so many sequels feel like. Like this one wasn't made until they 100% had a fantastic story to tell and I appreciate that, even if it took freaking 35yrs.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
While at my parents over the holiday we had Blade Runner 2049 recorded on the DVR but never found (enough) time to watch it. I did rewatch Hombre, which is probably my favorite Western.

Speaking of Westerns, if anyone has a Starz subscription, their streaming service has an incredible collection of them--but they're hidden in the guts of the app. There's no way to just look for "Westerns," as far as I can tell.

The best way I found to do it was to just find an actor/actress associated with Westerns (Sam Elliott or John Wayne or whoever) and look below their profile page for movies they were in. Watched the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on the app with my pops over Thanksgiving.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Speaking of Blade Runner.

They are making a 13 episode anime that fills the time between the two movies, I am really looking forward to that one.

A Blade Runner anime series is being produced by Adult Swim and Crunchyroll

This will be the first time I ever say these words: I'm looking forward to an anime.

Black Out 2022 was great and already sold me on the concept.

The Cowboy Bebop news also intrigues me...I need to give Cowboy Bebop another spin. I liked it far better than other animes I tried when it was on Adult Swim, but I watched it so sporadically I never managed to get hooked. It definitely seems like something adult me would appreciate far more than teen me would have.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Can't recommend enough The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (on Netflix).

I'm not some Cohen bros jock-rider, but this is some captivating and peculiar work. And beautifully shot (...duh).

And if you have a flighty attentionspan like myself, you'll enjoy that it's a series of short stories.

I liked em all and was sad when it ended.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I feel the same about most Marvel movies, painfully obvious and predictable with a weak ending to all villains.

The worst part of GL was that they got a solid director but he's never done a movie like that before and let him run around to make a crap movie.

Are you sure about Daredevil in a marvel movie? New York is crazy tough to defend, they have like what, 10 super hero for a tiny ass place? I think they need about 10 more.

You know damn well Marvel would put DD in a movie and turn him into a wise cracking clown like the rest of the characters. Serious characters don't exist in Marvel. DC's biggest downfall was that they tried to make a connected universe when they never needed to thanks to the pressure of trying to be as successful as Marvel.

Joker being good will hopefully change that. Hearing good things about Aquaman too. I personally did not like WW as much as most did, so I still think they have a long way to go but they are now hiring the right directors and taking the proper time with it and not letting the pressure of how successful Marvel is, jade their approach.

People are ****ting all over Titans too, I have been watching that show and I love it. It's different, it's the opposite of what that CW garbage is and not like the Netflix Marvel shows as well.

Marvel movies are fun blockbusters. They could be better imo if they took themselves a bit more seriously, but they aren't trying to be seriously great movies. They are popcorn movies. I have a lot of fun watching them. And then if I were to write a list of best movies of a given year, I probably wouldn't include any of them.

That said, that's a hell of a lot better than what DC is making. Those are just bad movies for the most part. They aren't good in a serious way or a fun way. They just suck. Man of Steel is okay, though I think the complete wrong tone for a Superman movie. It works well enough, but it just set the character up in a really weird spot as far as the series goes I think. Wonder Woman is pretty good until the end. It's actually the most Marvel'y of the DC movies I'd say with the constant banter and whatnot. Even a shitty villain :laugh: But man, Suicide Squad, BvS, and Justice League are just trash movies. Green Lantern too if we want to go back that far. As you said, forcing a grand series like Marvel was probably a mistake from the start. But rushing to get to Justice League so fast ensured it was. Mostly, I think they took the wrong lesson from what made the Nolan series so good and then hired a turd in Snyder to lead the way.

Here's hoping the next few get better. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like @ColePens, I could watch Jaws again and again and again.

On another note, I was flipping channels and caught Ordinary People. Had seen it before, but not for years. An example of a movie that wouldn't be made this century.
Man so many movies shouldn't be and couldn't be re-made or made nowadays, in the hyper overly sensitive era that we currently reside in.

Could you imagine if they tried to remake Trading Places, just as an example?

Dan Aykroyd had black face in it, also the jokes....people would get so insanely triggered. It's also one of my favorite comedies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Man so many movies shouldn't be and couldn't be re-made or made nowadays, in the hyper overly sensitive era that we currently reside in.

Could you imagine if they tried to remake Trading Places, just as an example?

Dan Aykroyd had black face in it, also the jokes....people would get so insanely triggered. It's also one of my favorite comedies.

Mel Brooks says Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today; we're too PC

Filmmaker Mel Brooks says a culture of political correctness is "the death of comedy". In a recent interview with BBC Radio 4, Brooks said films like his own classic Blazing Saddles wouldn't get made in Hollywood's current "stupidly politically correct" climate.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Oh for sure, even the Space Balls movies wouldn't be. People are just so overly sensitive about being politically correct that they take it insanely too far and then attack people for it.

The funniest example is Disney/Marvel firing James Gunn for his terrible jokes. Because Disney doesn't have their own dark past that they have grown out of and have changed from?

A lot of the remakes fail, in regards to comedies being remade, because they pushed boundaries back then and people weren't such f***ing wusses about it. And now, they want to push this whole "let's make an all female movie! Girl Power!...let's make a movie with all black people only! All asian people!" instead of finding any sort of balance or just a great idea, it's like this race to let's be cutting edge by remaking something that does not need to be remade but with an all female cast because why not?

It's more like why? Why not just make a movie that actually has a story that was made for all women. Why does it need to be "let's take what men like and turn it into an all female cast, fight the patriarchy!"

It really pisses me off when these actresses use it as an excuse.

The Oceans 8 movie and Ghostbusters didn't suck because men wanted it to fail - It sucked because it was horrible, it was just a terrible terrible movie.

Ann Duvernay's movie doesn't suck because white people don't get it, I'm black and I think the movie was trash because it had probably some of the worst dialogue in a huge budget movie, in my opinion, since the horrific master piece Battlefield Earth. How she has more jobs is simply because people want to be diverse.

That's the shitty part of this. We are seeing movies being ruined because studios are force hiring for diversity. Apparently talent is now not a requirement at all, your race and gender is.

It makes me so mad because stories you want to see being made into a movie or a tv show are being ruined because of this shit.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't buy that honestly. Always Sunny does blackface. They did a whole episode about being black people. Tropic Thunder did blackface for the entire movie.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
BTW, quiz question: What did Mel Brooks originally want to call The Producers? :laugh:

Wikipedia: Glazier budgeted the film at $1 million, and sought financiers. Half the money came from philanthropist Louis Wolfson, who liked the idea of laughing at a dictator,[5] and the remainder, along with the distribution, was arranged by Joseph E. Levine of Embassy Pictures. Levine's only condition was to change the title, as he felt many distributors would not carry a picture named Springtime for Hitler.[

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
BTW, quiz question: What did Mel Brooks originally want to call The Producers? :laugh:

Wikipedia: Glazier budgeted the film at $1 million, and sought financiers. Half the money came from philanthropist Louis Wolfson, who liked the idea of laughing at a dictator,[5] and the remainder, along with the distribution, was arranged by Joseph E. Levine of Embassy Pictures. Levine's only condition was to change the title, as he felt many distributors would not carry a picture named Springtime for Hitler.[
What a good movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->