OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Re: Takashi Miike

13 Assassins was pretty badass. And still had a little bit of weirdness to it.

Re: Bronson

What a weird film but awesome performance from Hardy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Indeed. Blonde Donna is a pretty easy marker to pinpoint when the writing started to go downhill. Plus, I'm usually able to separate the "art from the artist" as it were, but rewatches are getting tougher considering just how much a deplorable ****bag Danny Masterson is.

Yeah, I’m not a separate the art from the artist person, or at least don’t pay for it, and it’s probably ruined for me to rewatch.

There are also wtf parts played for laughs. Like Fez hiding under Donna’s bed at night to jerk off.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Strongly disagree on Bronson. It's Glen or Glenda pretending that it's A Clockwork Orange. Hardy's performance is decent, but no performance could have been good enough to salvage that movie.

Reactions: vodeni

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Unless it’s distinctly terrible directing I can get by with weak visuals but god help anything with a bad plot, weak dialogue or poor pacing. With the exception being that sometimes you let the big, dumb action movie be a big, dumb action movie or appreciate how bad something is.

I live in the gta and every year I say I should go experience some of TIFF and every year I don’t. All I do is pull other people into the same cycle or make them realize they already do the same thing. #nextyear
When I lived in Whitby I went to TIFF in 2013 and went to the World Premiere of Visitors by Godfrey Reggio. Steven Soderbergh, Reggio and Philip Glass did a presentation afterwards and as I was leaving met them by the door. Got two programs autographed and sent one to a friend in London who is a massive fan of Reggio and Glass.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I've only seen maybe 2 episodes post-eric

Smart. I don’t think I’ve seen every episode of season 8.

When I lived in Whitby I went to TIFF in 2013 and went to the World Premiere of Visitors by Godfrey Reggio. Steven Soderbergh, Reggio and Philip Glass did a presentation afterwards and as I was leaving met them by the door. Got two programs autographed and sent one to a friend in London who is a massive fan of Reggio and Glass.

I’ve really got to go one year.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't get to see too much TV nowdays (how could I spending all my free time watching hockey and bsing on this Forum), but one show that really resonated with me, and I binged watch was Get Shorty. I thought since Northern Exposure I have not seen funnier ( in a cerebral way) show, great acting, just fun. Its on some obscure premium channel (i think Epix) but its really great.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Also for some of you movie lovers, your honest opinion on Phantom Thread. masterpiece or big yawn? I am in the latter group, maybe I just don't get it...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Also for some of you movie lovers, your honest opinion on Phantom Thread. masterpiece or big yawn? I am in the latter group, maybe I just don't get it...
Based on trailers I don't think it looks that good, but I plan to watch it because it's Paul thomas Anderson and Daniel day lewis.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Based on trailers I don't think it looks that good, but I plan to watch it because it's Paul thomas Anderson and Daniel day lewis.
I think PTS will not be looked upon favorably in 20-30 years, I think he is hugely overated, but thats me...I like Sprong what do I know...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't get to see too much TV nowdays (how could I spending all my free time watching hockey and bsing on this Forum), but one show that really resonated with me, and I binged watch was Get Shorty. I thought since Northern Exposure I have not seen funnier ( in a cerebral way) show, great acting, just fun. Its on some obscure premium channel (i think Epix) but its really great.

I saw that on one of my streaming services and I was wondering if it was worth a watch. I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan, so it has that going for it, but I hated Travolta's version, so... :dunno:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
How has no one told @Big McLargehuge about this thread yet???

I got the notification and was expecting this thread to be a week old or something :laugh:

Paul Thomas Anderson made There Will Be Blood...so he's on my good list. I have zero interest in seeing Phantom Thread, though.

I need to get better about seeing movies in the decade they're released in.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like @ColePens, I could watch Jaws again and again and again.

On another note, I was flipping channels and caught Ordinary People. Had seen it before, but not for years. An example of a movie that wouldn't be made this century.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Somewhere in the middle for me, but more positive than negative. It's a great "mood movie," as I call them -- films that don't necessarily have one specific point/message they're explicitly trying to convey, but rather put you in a state-of-mind and/or feeling that lingers long after the credits have finished rolling (Blade Runner 2049 is another recent movie that fits this categorization for me). I actually caught some of it on a premium channel recently, and was surprised how much more I was enjoying it. Most PTA films probably benefit from re-watches.

Phantom Thread also has one of my favorite movie scores from the past several years, so it's got that going for it as well.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I saw that on one of my streaming services and I was wondering if it was worth a watch. I'm a big Elmore Leonard fan, so it has that going for it, but I hated Travolta's version, so... :dunno:
I did not like that Travolta movie either (although it was heavily hyped if I recall), but this you would like, its weird cast perfectly and really smart and funny

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Interesting. What soured you on it, BB?

It's got a sort of Human Centipede 2 thing, where it thinks being loud or weird or visually flamboyant makes it clever, when that all just makes it blatantly annoying. To me, it's a dumb movie that's convinced that it's groundbreaking. I might have liked it better with a worse actor in the lead. At least then, I might have been able to laugh at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad