OT: Movie thread

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The phrase based on a true story exists for a reason. That means expect some creative license for entertainment.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Should be interesting. From everything I've read Enzo was an elite-level dickhead.

I guess it's a prerogative to be a dickhead when you build what he built. He is a man of great charm, not least because he suffered a lot in life despite what he managed to create from nothing.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Watching Jurassic World

Good film, but someone on YouTube pointed out that the original films feel more "real" than this one does due to less CGI. I can't un-see it now.
CGI is at its very best when it supplements practical effects. See Jurassic Park.

CGI is at its worst when it replaces practical effects. See Jurassic world.

Jurassic world is still great though. The jimmy Buffett scene salvaged the rest of the film.

Reactions: HisIceness

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
CGI is at its very best when it supplements practical effects. See Jurassic Park.

CGI is at its worst when it replaces practical effects. See Jurassic world.

JJ Abrams understands this. Despite all the (often deserved, IMO) criticism he gets for storytelling issues, I really like his approach to special effects. His movies manage to actually look like movies and not video games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To me the CGI jump the shark concept was shown with the differences between LOTR and the Hobbit trilogies. There's obviously a lot of CGI in the original trilogy but they did enough makeup/costumes mixed without enough outdoor sets to make it just right. Whereas the Hobbit movies were over the top to the point of being distracting imo with multiple CGI bad guys acting.

@Roboturner913 I really liked the Star Trek reboot, especially the first one. A few (at the time) jaw dropping visuals with good casting for the roles, generally enjoyable all around. When he gave up the second Star Wars movie in the most recent trilogy is when everything went really sideways for me in that series.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
To me the CGI jump the shark concept was shown with the differences between LOTR and the Hobbit trilogies. There's obviously a lot of CGI in the original trilogy but they did enough makeup/costumes mixed without enough outdoor sets to make it just right. Whereas the Hobbit movies were over the top to the point of being distracting imo with multiple CGI bad guys acting.

@Roboturner913 I really liked the Star Trek reboot, especially the first one. A few (at the time) jaw dropping visuals with good casting for the roles, generally enjoyable all around. When he gave up the second Star Wars movie in the most recent trilogy is when everything went really sideways for me in that series.
Leaving aside the awful decision to make The Hobbit into three movies, that was absolutely the biggest mistake. In some situations, you can understand leaning on CGI. But they seemed to just get lazy in The Hobbit and it took you right out of what should be a fairly down to earth fantasy.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Saw Last of the Mohicans. I kinda predicted all the major deaths with one exception very early on, but still liked the movie.

Great shots of the landscape, artillery felt real, great music, great performances.

Also good movie to show difference between revenge and vengeance.

JJ Abrams understands this. Despite all the (often deserved, IMO) criticism he gets for storytelling issues, I really like his approach to special effects. His movies manage to actually look like movies and not video games.

My favorite relatively recent movie with great effects was Mad Max: Fury Road.

All those vehicles and action sequences are freaking real. CGI was used for the weather effects.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I watched the first hour or so before bed last night.

The music slaps and King George was hilarious

cc426ff5baf39ef4cca5e2753e486525.jpg

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I liked the new Star Trek movies pretty well, but they all felt a little samey on some structure and plot points. I guess you can say that about a lot of movies in the same genre or franchise of movies (Lord knows most of the Marvel movies are the same even though I greatly enjoy them). Somehow it just struck me as worse with those.

Even though Beyond probably is better than I treat it in my head, by that point, some of the similarities bothered me enough that I didn't enjoy it as much. And the Sabotage piece was uninspired to me.

Reactions: bleedgreen

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Saw Last of the Mohicans. I kinda predicted all the major deaths with one exception very early on, but still liked the movie.

Great shots of the landscape, artillery felt real, great music, great performances.

The best thing about Last of the Mohicans, it was filmed entirely in NC. Also, the soundtrack is good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

My favorite relatively recent movie with great effects was Mad Max: Fury Road.

All those vehicles and action sequences are freaking real. CGI was used for the weather effects.
One thing I love about that movie and others if it’s time are the on location filming, and use of beautiful backdrops. There’s no specifics effects for this yet, if you want spectacular backgrounds you went there and made it look good. This movie captures the time while just looking very pretty in general.

Early 90’s was a pretty good time for movies to me. They don’t all stand the test of time obviously but they’re fun to watch, the time right before special effects but with cinematography trying to push the boundaries as best it could. Jurassic park came out and it all started changing. To bring it to back to the beginning of the conversation.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
@bleedgreen inspired me to watch Star Trek Beyond. It's a lot better than I remembered.
I didn’t like either of the sequels as much as the first one but did find them all worth watching. Abrams may have a formula but it’s easy on the eyes and fun if you let it be. Hats off for being in charge of the two biggest sci-fi franchises of all time and pulling at least the first film of each off pretty well. Not everyone could’ve done that.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The best thing about Last of the Mohicans, it was filmed entirely in NC. Also, the soundtrack is good.

Believe it or not, but I have known that at the time of your post. For few hours. I often check TV tropes once I finish any form of fiction, whether it’s a video game, movie, book or TV series, because ever since I started to write myself I have been looking for patterns and how people craft stories and characters.

Not to mention that because of this site I became a fan of a place I have never been to. Today, I get tribal when it comes to state of North Carolina as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->