Moves Kenny needs to make this season.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Let's add Green or Daley. Just one. Unless the offers are really good then move both but I doubt that'll be the case.

Kronner I agree won't have many callers.
Honestly Kronwall in a limited role, even if he's #7 and a scratch would be of value. He was on a front loaded contract, he would cost very little. An experienced player for depth is a good contingency plan IMO. Won't likely get much return of course, a 4th round pick maybe. I could see him on the Leafs bottom pair or simply on the playoff roster in case of an injury.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
With all the rumours about Howard being traded and even hearing Nyquist, Kronwall and Vanek's names all tied to potential moves this season my question is what trades do you want to see Holland make this season, and what would be your expectation for potential trade return?

Mine are:
Howard and Kronwall to Pittsburgh for a 2nd and Addison.
Nyquist and Daley to Buffalo for one of their 1st rounders and a D prospect like Pilut or Guhle.
I've never heard Kronwall's name ever being mentioned in trade talks, First off he's pretty much on record wanting to retire as a Wing. And i'm pretty sure Holland would honor that. He deserves that right. Khan mentioned that with Vaneks full NTC and getting tired of constantly uprooting his family. Doubts he'll waive it this time. Howard and Nyquist possibly Daley and Jensen would be my guess of possible moves.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Honestly Kronwall in a limited role, even if he's #7 and a scratch would be of value. He was on a front loaded contract, he would cost very little. An experienced player for depth is a good contingency plan IMO. Won't likely get much return of course, a 4th round pick maybe. I could see him on the Leafs bottom pair or simply on the playoff roster in case of an injury.

no he wouldn't, hes terrible. Old, slow, zero offense, zero defense. Only reason hes even playing with us is because hes still under contract. No team in the league should want him, hes easily the worst defenseman on one of the leagues worst defenses (ours)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Why would anyone give up a second round pick for Ericsson or Daley?Especially Ericsson? I would love to hear this.

Because vet Dman always get over valued at the deadline. Plus both players have another year on their deal, so they wouldn't be rentals. Now as I put above this is an ideal return ie the max I think they'd get. Both players have modified ntcs, with E having to allow just 11 teams. E might be pushing it with the injuries, but Ron Hainsey did pull in a 2nd last year at 36 with similar production over the past few years. Wings would probably have to eat a bit of salary on E to make it happen. With that said if one of the two is traded, I fully expect it to Daley. E is likely a lifer unless he requests a trade.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nyquist for a 1st, or prospect and 2nd.

Howard for a pick and a goalie prospect. We dont seem to have much youth, close to NHL ready. Maybe a team looking for a vet can do a swap.

Move on of our Dmen... Daley, Jensen, anybody to make room for Hronek.

Moving out some of our forward depth.. also for room for youth. Trading a Helm, Glendening, or someone in the bottom 6 to allow the youth movement to slowly progress.

That is my wish list. I know not all 4 will happen but any combination i think would be a logical step in the rebuild.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Because vet Dman always get over valued at the deadline. Plus both players have another year on their deal, so they wouldn't be rentals. Now as I put above this is an ideal return ie the max I think they'd get. Both players have modified ntcs, with E having to allow just 11 teams. E might be pushing it with the injuries, but Ron Hainsey did pull in a 2nd last year at 36 with similar production over the past few years. Wings would probably have to eat a bit of salary on E to make it happen. With that said if one of the two is traded, I fully expect it to Daley. E is likely a lifer unless he requests a trade.
I get what you are saying but no team is giving up 2nds for either of them.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why would anyone give up a second round pick for Ericsson or Daley?Especially Ericsson? I would love to hear this.

I'm with you Cady, I would love to hear this as well. I dont think any team is giving anything of significance for E this year. Only chance he has of any type of return is at the TDL next year if we retain 50%, and even that is a big maybe

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I hope you are right, but I highly doubt an overpaid player like E would bring back a 2nd rounder. They have to wait until next season if they hope for a return for E.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There isn't much out there regarding a Kronwall trade other than a few blips. This is the most recent I could find from CBS Sports referencing The Athletic.

Red Wings' Niklas Kronwall: Not distracted by trade speculation

In that article Custance basically points it out as a this isn't going to happen so we asked him anyway. Kronwall and everyone around the Wings basically said it isn't happening is what a lot of us are eluding to. The only time I see or hear it are road broadcasts where it is dangled would he be available and since whenever the principle players to make him available ask they seem to indicate he isn't going anywhere, well....

I think Ericsson will be dealt for instance or at least approached. But to me Kronwall is going to finish here and he earned that right. It isn't worth the lost currency with players around the league to ship him out against his wishes for a third round pick. That is the difference between EA sports and real life for me, but that is just my opinion on it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope you are right, but I highly doubt an overpaid player like E would bring back a 2nd rounder. They have to wait until next season if they hope for a return for E.

Big PK players have had good returns. It helps that Ericsson has played better the last couple years and the team would be looking to acquire a PK third pairing D-man. That is what Ericsson can bring, so I think there will be interest in him, I just think that is more next year. But yeah my starting point on him would be a second from a contender calling. That isn't that great of a pick it should be above the 50th selection and Ericsson holds that value if you are talking a deep run team looking to shore up one of their PK defenders and third pairing stay at home guy.

Maybe you go for more of a prospect return. I find this interesting and agree with Holland's thought process. But it is out there that the Wings are also interested in prospects instead of draft picks as long as it is a guy their scouts like a decent amount. We will see, I am not sure we get just pure player for picks deals here. We might take on a project prospect or hopefully a fairly touted prospect for some of these guys.

I guess to illustrate this. Let's say Orpik hangs it up after this year. The Caps are going through the season but given their makeup what they truly lack is a bottom pairing, physical PK guy. Bowey's development has stalled and he isn't getting PP time over the three defenders they have locked in long-term as well but looking at the age of their team, the Caps are still in on contending. Can the Wings turn Ericsson into that, unlikely I get it, but I am not sure why we enter not asking for good returns. These are negotiations after all. But I think we don't need to only look at draft picks while doing this.

I know the Wings have players that don't have tons of value, we will see what happens. Holland's a pretty methodical guy, I know it is annoying at times. But I think it might lead to some pretty good returns as a seller. I am not expecting Tatar magic on each of these guys, and I know Holland isn't popular with a lot of you, but I don't think he is holding a knife in a gun fight here, he has spun off assets a lot of us doubted he could for better returns the last couple seasons. My guess is Ericsson and Daley are going for more than some think around here.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No chance kroner gets dealt, zero.

Nyquist for a late 1st
Howard at TDL for a 3rd and 5th
Glenny for a 3rd

No way Howard is traded before the deadline as he brings stability.

Next TDL you move vanek and daley.

Don' think dekeyser is valued at all, Karl alzner was waived and i would rather him so forget that.

Thats about all that will happen and all that should happen

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
no he wouldn't, hes terrible. Old, slow, zero offense, zero defense. Only reason hes even playing with us is because hes still under contract. No team in the league should want him, hes easily the worst defenseman on one of the leagues worst defenses (ours)
I get that perspective, but I'm saying he's basically free and might not even play....a top flight prospect might completely fizzle under the spotlight of the NHL playoffs and break down further mentally than Kronwall is physically.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Move on from Nyquist, ideally for a 2nd or better.
Move Howard to a contender, like Calgary, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.
Make sure Svechnikov gets his confidence back in the AHL after his injury is resolved (March/April).
Circle back to Faulk, see what is needed for him to be dealt to DET.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Move on from Nyquist, ideally for a 2nd or better.
Move Howard to a contender, like Calgary, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.
Make sure Svechnikov gets his confidence back in the AHL after his injury is resolved (March/April).
Circle back to Faulk, see what is needed for him to be dealt to DET.
I like this idea, all their D are stuggling to put up pts., led by Hamilton 9pts./25gp. Faulk w/8pts & +4, may not be too pricey for an eventual Mike Green replacement. Depends on his price, mobility & D...we have Cholo & Hronek that can provide offense. None of our D are good/great defenders however (Pesce / Vlasic caliber).

Reactions: Red Winger 87

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like most of these ideas, but I'm surprised that anybody would feel that trading Vanek is a good possibility, either now or next year. Regardless of how well he plays here, he has a track record that cratered his value last time, and he's only getting older and slower. He might have to be on a 30+ goal pace for anybody to not hang up the phone this time... but if it somehow happens, I'll be happy from an asset management standpoint.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm wondering how much Grand Rapids fighting for and (hopefully) making the playoffs will affect call-ups. We've seen the Wings lean towards keeping guys down to get that experience rather than a look in Detroit at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zadina, Hronek, etc. left down regardless of the seasons they have and to see more Wade Megan or someone similar for the last 10-20 games of the season.

I like most of these ideas, but I'm surprised that anybody would feel that trading Vanek is a good possibility, either now or next year. Regardless of how well he plays here, he has a track record that cratered his value last time, and he's only getting older and slower. He might have to be on a 30+ goal pace for anybody to not hang up the phone this time... but if it somehow happens, I'll be happy from an asset management standpoint.

Vanek just doesn't have value and he has a full NTC. We'd have to find someone who not only wanted him and was willing to give up a return to make the trade worth our while, but they'd also have to appeal to Vanek enough to make him waive his NTC. I said it at the time and I stick with the idea that he was signed not to be traded but to be some vet insurance for when Nyquist is moved.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It seems like there would be enough other d-men at the deadline who can actually keep up with the faster pace of the game over a Kronwall with no knees. It's been a few years since he was actually an effective d-man. He's only getting worse. Is there a team out there who wouldn't rather Green or Daley?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Vanek was a pretty good add for Columbus on the cheap.

I don't really anticipate him being dealt, but that should help him a little in terms of at least the last time he was traded he did well with the new team. Still as we know here watching the games, Vanek isn't playing well enough to generate interest, he really needs to elevate his play for us to even get a call.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't think E, Kronner or Vanek end up dealt. Vanek has proven not to have much value when he was putting up points. E I don't honestly think will be healthy but I do think he holds more value here than most think. Daley absolutely brings a 2nd if dealt. I'd be shocked if he does not. I could actually see Daley with a year left bring back more than Nyquist. It'll be an interesting deadline.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Same moves I'm trying to make in NHL 19. Figure out how to get Nilsson, Ericsson, and Abdelkader's contracts off the books ASAP.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm wondering how much Grand Rapids fighting for and (hopefully) making the playoffs will affect call-ups. We've seen the Wings lean towards keeping guys down to get that experience rather than a look in Detroit at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zadina, Hronek, etc. left down regardless of the seasons they have and to see more Wade Megan or someone similar for the last 10-20 games of the season.

Vanek just doesn't have value and he has a full NTC. We'd have to find someone who not only wanted him and was willing to give up a return to make the trade worth our while, but they'd also have to appeal to Vanek enough to make him waive his NTC. I said it at the time and I stick with the idea that he was signed not to be traded but to be some vet insurance for when Nyquist is moved.

I am not sure they will consider this as heavily this season since both Hronek and Zadina could be expected to be taken as Czech National Team players for the World Championships. They know they will get extra hockey regardless this year in my opinion assuming health.

Not saying that will be the assessment just that it likely factors in. Both guys will likely be kept down on paper transactions to keep options open. But I wouldn't be surprised if neither guy is really in the Wings GR playoff plan. Which would be a tough blow to the farm team, but they have taken care of them a lot, not every guy is going to lineup perfectly between the teams. That is the reality of that relationship and I usually point out you need to protect that. But it doesn't always apply across the board. We have to do what is best with Zadina period and thus far that is how we operated. So if they think World Championships and a good long summer to kick training up mid-June, I won't disagree.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Big PK players have had good returns. It helps that Ericsson has played better the last couple years and the team would be looking to acquire a PK third pairing D-man. That is what Ericsson can bring, so I think there will be interest in him, I just think that is more next year. But yeah my starting point on him would be a second from a contender calling. That isn't that great of a pick it should be above the 50th selection and Ericsson holds that value if you are talking a deep run team looking to shore up one of their PK defenders and third pairing stay at home guy.

Maybe you go for more of a prospect return. I find this interesting and agree with Holland's thought process. But it is out there that the Wings are also interested in prospects instead of draft picks as long as it is a guy their scouts like a decent amount. We will see, I am not sure we get just pure player for picks deals here. We might take on a project prospect or hopefully a fairly touted prospect for some of these guys.

I guess to illustrate this. Let's say Orpik hangs it up after this year. The Caps are going through the season but given their makeup what they truly lack is a bottom pairing, physical PK guy. Bowey's development has stalled and he isn't getting PP time over the three defenders they have locked in long-term as well but looking at the age of their team, the Caps are still in on contending. Can the Wings turn Ericsson into that, unlikely I get it, but I am not sure why we enter not asking for good returns. These are negotiations after all. But I think we don't need to only look at draft picks while doing this.

I know the Wings have players that don't have tons of value, we will see what happens. Holland's a pretty methodical guy, I know it is annoying at times. But I think it might lead to some pretty good returns as a seller. I am not expecting Tatar magic on each of these guys, and I know Holland isn't popular with a lot of you, but I don't think he is holding a knife in a gun fight here, he has spun off assets a lot of us doubted he could for better returns the last couple seasons. My guess is Ericsson and Daley are going for more than some think around here.

I agree with most of this. I hope you are right about E, and I completely agree that we should try to get a 2nd rounder for him, I just can't see that happening this year.
I think we both agree that next year will likely produce the greatest return for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad