Move Smith to Forward?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Best game from Smith by far at this season against Nashville. Guy is far from waiver-considerations with that kind of effort. Keep going.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Which forward here or in GR would he conceivably be better than?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
everybody talking about Larkin's +/- stats .Is it real important? Smith has +5 , Larkin +19
Kronwall -3 , our best shutting forward Gleny -9 Is this make any sense?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
everybody talking about Larkin's +/- stats .Is it real important? Smith has +5 , Larkin +19
Kronwall -3 , our best shutting forward Gleny -9 Is this make any sense?

Larkin plays against top guys and excels. Smith is sheltered and is competent there. Kronwall plays against top guys and hasn't been his best. Glen plays against top guys and is overrated defensively.

Makes perfect sense to me.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Best game from Smith by far at this season against Nashville. Guy is far from waiver-considerations with that kind of effort. Keep going.

Let's hope this isn't one of his short stints of excellence where he shows flashes of what he was drafted for and instead has just become comfortable in a system that suits him. I have my doubts, but I also really like him with March.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've always been a bit on the Smith support side so take this however you like but I think Smith has value as one of Detroits only mean players really. Hes the type that talks about not getting pushed around and will pretty much fight anyone if it comes down to it, hes got the biggest backbone on the team without a doubt in my mind. I think its like Abdelkader, some people dont like the signing and wanted him to walk but Detroit wouldnt realize the value of his physical play and other attributes that he brings until hes gone. Sure Smith makes defensive lapses but its not like a bunch of teams are trotting out amazing bottom pairing dmen that play 20 mins a night. If Smith and Marchenko keep getting comfortable with each other and playing like they have I think Detroits bottom pair is the last of their worries.

The problem with Detroits defense (which are playing fairly solid now) is that the top 4 could use an upgrade. Dekeyser is having a pretty mediocre year so far, same with Kronwall. The only guy playing up to his billing is Green. Ericcson is having one of his worst years in a while by my count as well.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Smith has looked pretty good the last two games... he has jumped into the rush on occasion, has put some good moves on forwards to get around them and get scoring opportunities lately.... and has done a great job skating the puck out of the D-zone. He appears to be looking to create more offense, which is something he rarely if ever did under Babcock. Maybe Smith will finally find his game again under Blash.

move him to forward.... NO. He has never shown the finishing ability to be a forward. When he does make a good move to get a scoring chance, he usually ends up holding on to the puck too long, or simply fires a shot into the chest pad of the goalie. We have a lot better option at forward than Smith. If moving him to forward is the only way to keep him, then no sense in keeping him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd rather waive Smith and lose him for nothing than waste a forward spot on him.

Pretty much this. Thing is, I don't really want him (or Kindl) taking playing time away from a kid in GR, either. If either gets waived, I have a hard time believing either has a future here, so just do whatever can be done to get them out of the organization entirely.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he is the extra forward while we roll with 12 guys should someone get an injury. He has been playing better lately, he does bring some bite to the back-end he should play easily over Kindl, who honestly should never play another game in a Wings jersey at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad