Move Edler to forward?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Shamelessly copying the Sharks with Brent Burns, but do you think there's any advantage to moving Edler to forward?

When Tanev comes back, he'd take Edler's place, and Corrado's burned a year of his ELC, so may as well keep him up.

While he does make some bone-headed plays, he still has very good offensive instincts.

Most importantly, it means Garrison will be on the 1st PP unit and we'll never again see a Bieksa-Edler pairing.

Pair Bieksa with Hamhuis or Garrison instead.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Edler-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Raymond

Garrison-Bieksa
Hamhuis-Tanev
Ballard/Alberts-Corrado

Is it worth a shot?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pretty sure Burns was a forward for a large portion of his hockey days, that's why he could transition.

Don't think Edler could tbh. Points on creativity though :)

not something for next game, but if they were committed they could try next year. I dunno about it though

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
No, Bieksa has a million more reasons and past experiences of why he could make a decent forward though

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
No, Bieksa has a million more reasons and past experiences of why he could make a decent forward though

this is what I was thinking, Bieksa could be an option

although the Burns situation was unique, so I dunno about moving any D to foward

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
nope, i think bieksa would easily make a better forward but i don't wanna relive that stint again

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Nah, bring in a new coach that can hopefully straighten out Edler and give him a new perspective on how to play. A new coach that actually made Bieksa accountable would also be nice.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
The only reason I'd prefer Edler to Bieksa is that we're thin enough on right D as it is. Moving a left D up would be more palatable.

Also, I think Edler is better offensively than Bieksa

I'll admit I have no idea how feasible either would be, though.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The only reason I'd prefer Edler to Bieksa is that we're thin enough on right D as it is. Moving a left D up would be more palatable.

I'd take Ballard as a forward over both of them. I've been quite impressed with him as a forward.

StringerBell

We're not that thin on RD. We have Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev and Corrado. I mean, Garrison can play both, but he hasn't been a LD for the past 40 games or so. It makes a lot more sense to have a preference on what D moves up based on their strengths/ability than it does on their handedness.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Who would we put in the top 4 to replace him? Do we want to put the burden on Corrado? Does anyone feel that confident in Ballard after the way he's been sparingly used the past couple seasons?

This isn't preseason, this is no time to experiment for AV with his job on the line. The task is still to win 4 games, it's just that now there is zero margin for error. Odds are that it doesn't happen, but doesn't mean they quit trying.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Who would we put in the top 4 to replace him? Do we want to put the burden on Corrado? Does anyone feel that confident in Ballard after the way he's been sparingly used the past couple seasons?

This isn't preseason, this is no time to experiment for AV with his job on the line. The task is still to win 4 games, it's just that now there is zero margin for error. Odds are that it doesn't happen, but doesn't mean they quit trying.

You saw my lines. This is assuming Tanev plays, which might be a reach, but at this point, scoring goals is by far the most pressing concern. We haven't scored more than 2 goals even once this series. Something has to change to fix that.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As mentioned the huge difference with Burns is that he was originally a forward throughout his minor and junior hockey league days and in the AHL until Lemaire converted him into a d-man due to his size and skating ability. I think some people here are getting a little carried away with Edler's struggles, he's clearly not a good fit with Bieksa, but he seemed to play just fine with Ehrhoff, Salo(before the injury), Tanev and Corrado. Bieksa meanwhile has struggled with everyone except for when he was paired with an excellent defensive d-man(Willie Mitchell and Dan Hamhuis), clearly they are not a good duo and yet AV/Bowness not only had them as a pairing for most of this series, but actually had them playing the most minutes which is just ridiculous and absurd.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Edler doesn't even look comfortable or like he knows what he's doing in the offensive zone as a defenceman when he pinches down to the hashmarks.

So no.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
You saw my lines. This is assuming Tanev plays, which might be a reach, but at this point, scoring goals is by far the most pressing concern. We haven't scored more than 2 goals even once this series. Something has to change to fix that.

Yeah I'm not counting on Tanev returning either. I don't think that this is the time to experiment with Edler at forward. I'd much rather see Schroeder return (I assume he's just injured), heck I'd even take Gaunce on the 3rd or 4th line right now.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Or we could not toss players around the roster randomly.

Give Edler a decent partner and a competent coach.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
If Edler gets moved you have Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado.

Not so great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad