Move Crosby to first or second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Interested to hear opinions on whether Crosby should be moved to the first or second line to take advantage of his offensive skills better. Or is it too late to start messing with what is working so far?

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
I'd leave him where he is unless Dawes continues to have trouble finding the net. Canada's got two decent lines working, and Tambellini finally got a goal today so there's no urgency at the moment to flop Crosby around. Besides, he should be facing weaker line match-ups where he is now, all the more easier to exploit his offensive skills...

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
daver said:
Interested to hear opinions on whether Crosby should be moved to the first or second line to take advantage of his offensive skills better. Or is it too late to start messing with what is working so far?
There doesn't appear to be a problem with the current setup - I'd leave him on the 3rd line with Tambellini. He's not facing the top lines of the opponents, so he has a greater chance of success.

Besides, who would you move down to the 3rd line - Carter or Richards?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
My opinion is that the coaches have found good balance and better chemistry, and to start playing around with lines around any single player would be silly. Besides, as much as the kid is creating, he is far from the top forward available and should be allowed to develop some. I agree with the comment a couple of posts up that he is likely enjoying not being matched up against the top players of the other teams - and I also think that the poster on the game thread who noted that he is trying to do too much is also right on. He may or may not be the "next one" but he has a ways to go yet.

BCCHL inactive

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Canada is 3-0. Bottom line.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Challenge to Sid Crosby

Sid, I am begging you to prove me wrong on this one.

I've been waiting for 25 years to see someone out do Wayne Gretzky and recently, I've been really hoping that Sidney Crosby will be that young man. However, so far it's pretty clear that Sid will NOT be the one to touch the Great One's numbers...esp. at this year's WJC.

Granted that the young Wayner was a slightly older 16 year old than Sid when he put up 6 points on his WJC debut...but as you can see, Sid is nowhere near that in his first 3 games...against some weak opposition. I was really expecting Sid to explode today because it's pretty obvious that he's a quick student and he's learning things by leaps and bounds from game to game...but it didn't happen.

I think that there are a number of reasons for this.

1. Sid is more a goal scorer than a set up man like Wayne was. It's heckuva lot easier to score points when you are using all your teammates on the ice. Sid has to work three times as hard physically as Gretzky to score a goal because of the style of his game.

2. As much as he relishes the physical aspects of the game, Sid is taking a lot of pounding...at least relative to Wayne whose longevity and high scoring totals were mainly due to his elusive, non-physical nature of his game.

3. At least at this WJC, he's not receiving as many passes from his teammates. It's almost as if Sid is being 'frozen out' by his teammates at times sort of like Michael Jordan was at his earlier All-star game by his own teammates. Even on PP, Sid is often being ignored although he's in good position to receive a pass or to score.

4. Amazingly, most of the scoring chances that Sid has had (and he's had a tonne of them!) he's basically had to generate them himself!

For whatever it's worth, and I am sadden by the conclusion that I arrived at but I feel that Sid will be a dynamic star in the NHL... but not the one to break Wayne Gretzky's records. I think that he'll be someone along the lines of a more gritty and physical combination of a Pat Lafontaine and Pavel Bure...which would be a phenominal feat all on it's own!

...But once again, Sid, here's your opportunity to make me eat crow and prove me wrong! ...'cos Sid, I am rooting for you every day!

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

David said:
3. At least at this WJC, he's not receiving as many passes from his teammates. It's almost as if Sid is being 'frozen out' by his teammates at times sort of like Michael Jordan was at his earlier All-star game by his own teammates. Even on PP, Sid is often being ignored although he's in good position to receive a pass or to score.

To even suggest that his Team Canada teammates are ignoring him is ludicrous. Everybody on this team, including Sidney Crosby, realizes that this tournament is about winning the Gold Medal. The 2004 World U20 Championship is not the Sidney Crosby Show, like many people had selfishly hoped it would be.

Sidney Crosby is not scoring like mad at this tournament because he is a 3rd line player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This seems to have less to do with making Canada's team better than it has to do with people wanting to see their ridiculous pre-tournament predictions satisfied. Anyone still have the thread where someone predicted Crosby would score 42 points, breaking Peter Forsberg's WJC record by 11?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
David said:
For whatever it's worth, and I am sadden by the conclusion that I arrived at but I feel that Sid will be a dynamic star in the NHL... but not the one to break Wayne Gretzky's records. I think that he'll be someone along the lines of a more gritty and physical combination of a Pat Lafontaine and Pavel Bure...which would be a phenominal feat all on it's own!

...But once again, Sid, here's your opportunity to make me eat crow and prove me wrong! ...'cos Sid, I am rooting for you every day!

A more gritty and physical combination of Lafontaine and Bure!!! Holy smokes!!! :lol:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:
To even suggest that his Team Canada teammates are ignoring him is ludicrous. Everybody on this team, including Sidney Crosby, realizes that this tournament is about winning the Gold Medal. The 2004 World U20 Championship is not the Sidney Crosby Show, like many people had selfishly hoped it would be.

Sidney Crosby is not scoring like mad at this tournament because he is a 3rd line player.

I have to agree. The great thing about team Canada right now is depth, size and speed. Sidney is doing fine. I counted 3 Ukrainian penalties he drew today without diving or embelishing on any of them. If he caught a couple of breaks he could still have gotten 2 or 3 points a game the way he's played but the same could be said about a few of those guys. There's a fine line between first line and fourth line on this team. Playing with, say, Anthony Stewart might give him a little more room and therefore more points but overall I think the coaching staff is looking pretty good. I doubt Sid is complaining. So far Canada is looking the best in group B and (might be wishful thinking) group B looks a lot tougher than A. It will probably be an all North American final or all group B final IMO.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Van said:

I agree 100%.

To add, it seems like Canada doesn't play a run and gun type of play. Despite blowing out Ukraine today and scoring quite a bit in the third against Switzerland, Canada seems to be playing more of a defense-first game. As evidenced by the first game in which they only gave up 15 or so shots.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
How about we look past all the BS and get to the nitty gritty.

Sidney Crosby is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines on this team. There, I said it.

I've seen Crosby play all three games now, and he didn't look like he was one of the best 3 Canadian forwards in any of them. Big deal, a nice goal against the Swiss. Sorry, but nice goals don't mean the kid gets a free pass.

Getzlaf/Carter/Burns currently is scaring the living POOP out of the opposition, and is playing great. Certainly all three have done more than Crosby at this point, ice time difference or not. Stewart/Richards/Dawes has been arguably just as good as the top line and have loads of chemistry.

In fact, I would argue the Paille line has been better than Crosby, and Paille himself has been better than Crosby this tournament.

This post is not a Crosby slag either. Just some people need to be reminded..

SIDNEY CROSBY IS ONLY 16 YEARS OLD!!

A 16 year old is not going to play some of the best 18 and 19 year olds at this tournament. Crosby or not, I don't think he has been any better than Tambellini, Talbot, or Dawes. He's been okay, but hardly one of Team Canada's best forwards. Maybe in a couple years.

As for the poster who complained Crosby is not the next Gretzky, I could have told you that months ago. Yes he's a kickass youngster and yes he's got skill coming out his behind. But he's really not a lot better than other phenoms such as Lindros, Thornton, or Spezza. He will be a very good NHL'er, isn't that enough?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mizral said:
How about we look past all the BS and get to the nitty gritty.

Sidney Crosby is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines on this team. There, I said it.

I've seen Crosby play all three games now, and he didn't look like he was one of the best 3 Canadian forwards in any of them. Big deal, a nice goal against the Swiss. Sorry, but nice goals don't mean the kid gets a free pass.

Getzlaf/Carter/Burns currently is scaring the living POOP out of the opposition, and is playing great. Certainly all three have done more than Crosby at this point, ice time difference or not. Stewart/Richards/Dawes has been arguably just as good as the top line and have loads of chemistry.

In fact, I would argue the Paille line has been better than Crosby, and Paille himself has been better than Crosby this tournament.

This post is not a Crosby slag either. Just some people need to be reminded..

SIDNEY CROSBY IS ONLY 16 YEARS OLD!!

A 16 year old is not going to play some of the best 18 and 19 year olds at this tournament. Crosby or not, I don't think he has been any better than Tambellini, Talbot, or Dawes. He's been okay, but hardly one of Team Canada's best forwards. Maybe in a couple years.

As for the poster who complained Crosby is not the next Gretzky, I could have told you that months ago. Yes he's a kickass youngster and yes he's got skill coming out his behind. But he's really not a lot better than other phenoms such as Lindros, Thornton, or Spezza. He will be a very good NHL'er, isn't that enough?

Since when do you have to be a lot better than phenoms Lindros, Thornton or Spezza to be more than a "very good NHLer".

You're right about one thing though. He'll be one of Team Canada's best forwards "in a couple of years" but it won't be U20 it'll be 2006 Olympics.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I wouldn't touch the Tamby/Dixon/Crosby line, they've been working really well together. If you're going to promote one, promote all three. That line's been making things happen.

~Canucklehead~

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Since when do you have to be a lot better than phenoms Lindros, Thornton or Spezza to be more than a "very good NHLer".

You're right about one thing though. He'll be one of Team Canada's best forwards "in a couple of years" but it won't be U20 it'll be 2006 Olympics.

Outside of Forsberg, Lidstrom, and Brodeur, I don't see any player in the NHL who I would classify as an 'elite amongst the elite' group. Crosby is not better than Forsberg was at the same age. Obviously it's tough to compare him to Lidstrom and Brodeur.

As for Crosby at the 2006 Olympics, he hasn't got a chance. He'll be 19 years old by the time that rolls around.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Crosbyfan said:

Maybe if he was born in another country, but he's not going to crack Canada's team as a 19 year old, especially at the center position. He won't be one of the top 3 centers born in Canada at that time, and the 4th line center (possibly 3rd line also) will be a veteran presence with strong defensive abilities (like Joe Nieuwendyk was last time).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mizral said:
Outside of Forsberg, Lidstrom, and Brodeur, I don't see any player in the NHL who I would classify as an 'elite amongst the elite' group. Crosby is not better than Forsberg was at the same age. Obviously it's tough to compare him to Lidstrom and Brodeur.

As for Crosby at the 2006 Olympics, he hasn't got a chance. He'll be 19 years old by the time that rolls around.

He'll be 18 when he's at the Olympics and people will be arguing that he should be moved up to the first or second line.

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
He'll be 18 when he's at the Olympics and people will be arguing that he should be moved up to the first or second line.

Come 2006, if Crosby is in the NHL (which is still a question to be answered), he likely won't play for any national team as NHL clubs rarely release players for the U20....and nobody can seriously believe Crosby has even a remote chance at cracking the 2006 Olympic team if it features NHL players.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Van said:
Come 2006, if Crosby is in the NHL (which is still a question to be answered), he likely won't play for any national team as NHL clubs rarely release players for the U20....and nobody can seriously believe Crosby has even a remote chance at cracking the 2006 Olympic team if it features NHL players.

You are making the erronous assumption that common sense can overcome fanboyism.

BCCHL inactive

Epsilon said:
You are making the erronous assumption that common sense can overcome fanboyism.

Yeah, it's a tough job...but somebody has to do it. ;)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:

Not even a remote chance? If he improves at an "average " pace over the next 2+ years and grows at an "average" pace over the next 2+ years he will make the team. Guys mature physically way more between 16 and 18 than after that and mentally he's already there. Can you honestly believe he has no chance to close the gap?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Crosbyfan said:
Not even a remote chance? If he improves at an "average " pace over the next 2+ years and grows at an "average" pace over the next 2+ years he will make the team. Guys mature physically way more between 16 and 18 than after that and mentally he's already there. Can you honestly believe he has no chance to close the gap?

The point is that guys like Thornton, Lecavalier, Spezza, Richards, etc. will be starting to come in to their primes and then you also factor in veterans like Sakic and so on.

tankaholic

Dec 29, 2003
I absolutley agree that crosby should be playing on one of the top two lines. I wouldn't touch the dawes, stewart and richards line, but instead replace carter with crosby. Carter, although great in the faceoff circle, throws way too many blind passes in the offensive end which against greater opponents will prove to be costly. It is also rather obvious that Crosby is by far and away the most offensively gifted player on this team and would have the stats to prove it if he had capable wingers that could finish/keep up/hit the net. I am not trying to belittle his linemates or carter, it just seems that have yet catch on to sid's style and are not fully taking advantage of scoring chances which he creates.

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:

At 18 years of age, Crosby will not beat out veteran NHL stars for an Olympic spot.

It is common hockey sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->