Mouthguard issues?

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Domvan66, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Domvan66 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So this is my first season playing ice hockey...which I am super pumped for. But it is also the first time I’ve had to wear a mouthguard for a sport and it is super annoying. I feel like I’m constantly drooling and not able to talk.

Our league also has some very specific rules about mouthguard. 1) they can’t be clear or white 2)they have to be teathered to our cage 3) anytime we are on the ice, they have to be in our mouths. And coach even chewed a teammate out for having his mouthguard out while talking between drills. Essientially even if we are just standing around, if we are on the ice mouthguards have to be in.

anyone have a solution to make mouthguards a little more tolerable?

2. shoeshine boy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    you must be playing youth hockey....my buddy owns his own company: Custom Sports Mouthguards for Athletes

I never liked mouthguards before wearing the Impact one. I have very little trouble talking though it does give me a slight lisp.

3. Domvan66 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah I’m 8th grade. And i wear braces so my ortho doesn’t want me to wear any moldable ones. Instead I’m having wear one of those big shock doctor ones where you just sorta stick in your mouth and bite down.

it’s a little ridiculous we are required to have in our mouths the entire time.

4. HansonBro Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    As a canadian, I remember any time we played in the states we had to wear a mouthguard but didnt have to wear a neckguard. The mouthguards were super annoying...sorry im no help lol

5. kij Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I used to wear the old bulky blue ones, but only the single sided ones that just went around the top teeth, not the double one. I believe it was shock doctor. Best recommendation I can give you is to cut the living crap out of it then chew it up a bunch. By far the best way to make it comfortable and be able to talk with it. I went through 3 a year but it was the only way I could tolerate it.

6. shello Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah I just had the blue one too. Wore that thing for years and just hung it outside of my mouth. Refs never really saw with the cage on

7. Beezeral Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You get used to it. We all went through it.

8. Jjbuck Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My kid has worn a mouthguard for 12 years, recently got braces. We didn't switch mouthguards. Still use the moldable. I dont see the hard, his ortho couldn't explain why it was such a bad idea.
    Got new, he boiled and fit it. As it cooled, I just opened it up a bit with my fingers.

Theres been zero issues.

To get used to a mouthguard, wear it around the house. Most important is learning to breath.

Work out in it, exercise, run. Stick time, public skate, etc.