Salary Cap: Moulson Contract

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Was hoping someone could clear this up for me real quick. Say we waive Moulson in the off-season and he is not claimed. If he accepts his assignment in Rochester, does that count against the Sabres cap?

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
That is actually not that bad at all. We can bury him there and really not have to worry considering the Sabres current cap situation. I think resigning Kane is unlikely but there shouldn't be a problem getting Reinhart and Eichel locked up long term when the time comes, even with the O'Reilly and pending RR contracts.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That is actually not that bad at all. We can bury him there and really not have to worry considering the Sabres current cap situation. I think resigning Kane is unlikely but there shouldn't be a problem getting Reinhart and Eichel locked up long term when the time comes, even with the O'Reilly and pending RR contracts.

It's still $4M in dead weight salary. It may not affect us right away, but it's still handicapping.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I think the usage for Moulson hasn't been good all year. They need to give Moulson and Ennis the FES treatment of a couple years ago. Heavy ozone starts against low QoC. Ennis is the play maker, Moulson cleans up the garbage, and whoever centers that line is the trigger man in the slot. I've been wanting to saddle Eichel with these two all year but that's a ton of defensive responsibility to saddle a teenager with so I get why it hasn't happened.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Buyout saves the owner some money tho. Wonder how it works if he refuses the assignment to the A??

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Not another buyout, its just best to ride this contract out, hopefully he can find the back of the net again.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Buyout saves the owner some money tho. Wonder how it works if he refuses the assignment to the A??

If he refused an AHL assignment, his contract could be terminated. Thirteen million dollars makes riding buses worthwhile, I'd have to imagine

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
He doesn't have a NMC. Modified NTC only based on a scan of the current contract tracking sites.

And yes, if MM didn't report to play where he was assigned, he doesn't get paid, and for that time period he doesn't count against the cap either.

There's no real cap concern for a while. They're in a good spot, even with some LOL contracts on the books today. The stress year _could_ be after 17-18 when 15 and 23 are coming off their rookie deals. I could easily see a scenario where TM long terms them right there as franchise cornerstones, but lots can happen between now and then.

Regardless, cap space isn't a worry.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Put him in a scoring role this year since it's not like we are making the playoffs this year anyway. Hope he produces a decent amount for a stretch of games and then try to trade him with like 25% retained in the offseason for about nothing in return. That's my hope anyways.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think the usage for Moulson hasn't been good all year. They need to give Moulson and Ennis the FES treatment of a couple years ago. Heavy ozone starts against low QoC. Ennis is the play maker, Moulson cleans up the garbage, and whoever centers that line is the trigger man in the slot. I've been wanting to saddle Eichel with these two all year but that's a ton of defensive responsibility to saddle a teenager with so I get why it hasn't happened.
It's a ton of defensive responsibility for anyone, regardless of age.

If he refused an AHL assignment, his contract could be terminated. Thirteen million dollars makes riding buses worthwhile, I'd have to imagine
He could buy his own bus.

(1) Put him in a scoring role this year since it's not like we are making the playoffs this year anyway. (2) Hope he produces a decent amount for a stretch of games and then try to trade him with like 25% retained in the offseason for about nothing in return. (4) That's my hope anyways.
You forgot to add step (3) where one of the 29 NHL GMs get amnesia.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Just ride it out and hope that he going into the final year, when we finally need the cap space, you can find a GM to take the contract off our hands. Expansion team, rebuilding team needing to get to the cap floor, someone.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

This is where Girgensons being out really hurts us. That MEG line from last year w/ Girgs at center had great chemistry at times. That's a potentially solid secondary/tertiary scoring line on a very good team. With him out, I kind of wouldn't mind seeing Foligno back in w/ Mols & Enzo at C getting those Ozone starts. But if they lose the draw, that's an odd-man rush heading back our way 50 percent of the time.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
in the land of hypothetical---how would you react if after the season you come to find out he was playing with an injury??? like to the groin like how the Bils WR was since week 2.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
in the land of hypothetical---how would you react if after the season you come to find out he was playing with an injury??? like to the groin like how the Bils WR was since week 2.

I'd wonder why we didn't just shut him down for the year

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Actually blame the GMs that gave these guys their contracts.

Yeah, pretty much this.

This is Tim Murray's first contract blunder.

If Moulson was even producing at a lower clip you might have been able to sell him while retaining 40% salary.

But at this rate, he's dead weight. No one is going to want someone like that. They'd rather wait until the Sabres bite the bullet and buy him out and then sign him to a cheap one year deal, a la Hodgson.

As for waiving him and putting him in Rochester. If you do that your still paying him full salary remaining, 15 million. Buying him out would cost 5 million, if I'm correct. By burying him and forcing him to play in the minors, you're saving cap room down the road when it's time to resign Risto and the wonderkids. You're eating most of salary on the cap now when you still have the cap room to deal with it.

Last edited:

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006

An injury? Maybe not convincing enough.

Now if he had a torn groin, torn labrums, broken ankles hastily repaired with papier-mâché ... then I might buy it.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

I'd still be pissed off. If he's injured enough that he has become a detriment to the team, he needs to shut it down and go on IR to deal with it. We have kids in the minors that could show us what they're made of in the meantime.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, pretty much this.

This is Tim Murray's first contract blunder.

If Moulson was even producing at a lower clip you might have been able to sell him while retaining 40% salary.

But at this rate, he's dead weight. No one is going to want someone like that. They'd rather wait until the Sabres bite the bullet and buy him out and then sign him to a cheap one year deal, a la Hodgson.

As for waiving him and putting him in Rochester. If you do that your still paying him full salary remaining, 15 million. Buying him out would cost 5 million, if I'm correct. By burying him and forcing him to play in the minors, you're saving cap room down the road when it's time to resign Risto and the wonderkids. You're eating most of salary on the cap now when you still have the cap room to deal with it.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as a blunder. It's not causing a cap problem now, and likely won't even at the end. The last 3 years he's paid (cash) $5M/$5M/$3M. The cheap clubs love deals that pay less than the cap hit, and any retained salary trade does that here. It's not a big deal.

I think people really need to understand how much of a last resort buyouts are. CoHo's buyout is sitting on the books until 2022-23. It's only about 800k in dead money those last 4 years, but still. It kinda shows you how ill regarded CoHo had become, because you KNOW they tried every possible option to move him.

Moulson isn't producing, nobody can dispute that. But it's a bit too easy in hindsight to crap on TM for it. Honestly, unless a contract screws a team from making a move they WANT to do, it's really not a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad