Motown Rumour

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Just as the Wings have tentatively retaken the Central division lead local radio station WERD reported the team may have traded Kimmo Timonen. There was no word on what the team may be receiving in return though it is being speculated it is to a division rival.

If true this will mark the 3rd time the Wings will have traded their team captain in 7 months (Lidstrom, Nichols, and now Timonen?).

So far GM Niece has declined requests to comment.

Stay tuned.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Detroit today announced that Kimmo Timonen has been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Ed Jovanovski and prospect Charles Olivier-Roussel.

Asked why he would do this GM Niece responded that the team could not allow it's rebuilding plans to be sidetracked by some surprising wins. We let that happen last year and cannot fall into that trap. Even if we make the play-offs we are not positioned to go far and that would set the team back in it's rebuilding effort.

Besides sometimes you have to help a friend out even if he is a division rival. Clearly Douglas hasn't learned how to manage a roster in his twelve seasons and still needs some help ... if I had that roster I'd be kicking butt :naughty:

The Wings are very happy about acquiring Roussel whom GM Niece has liked since his draft year. He has blue chip potential but we acknowledge there are red flags surrounding the situation he is in (i.e burried in a ridiculously deep and talented Nashville organization). I have little doubt those concerns are why Columbus agreed to include him in the deal but Detroit is willing to be patient.

There is no word on who the next Red Wing captain will be but betting pools have already started on how long it will be until the next captain is traded.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Beat you by one minute, slacker. :-P

I like Roussel too -- the only reason I could make him available out of the list of players you asked for was the exceptional development of Justin Schultz at Wisconsin this season - the Sophomore blueliner is scoring at better than a point-per-game pace, and is an early candidate for the Hobey Baker award (which would be Wisconsin's - and HFNHL Columbus' - second consecutive HB... we'll see what happens!).

And yes, without question I clearly need some help making this sim work. :dunce: The GM stuff I seem to have down, but coaching is clearly another matter entirely... The two most recent losses - hard-fought one-goal games against the league's two best teams in Buffalo and Calgary - have me encouraged that I'm finally on the right track. Unfortunately it may have come too late, as the changes may not be able to overcome the massive morale hole we fell into with that unexpected 6-game slide earlier this month.

Hopefully a couple of tactical trades like this one can help spur the team on to a few more wins, or I'm going to be one cranky GM at our meeting on the 10th!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Besides sometimes you have to help a friend out even if he is a division rival. Clearly Douglas hasn't learned how to manage a roster in his twelve seasons and still needs some help ... if I had that roster I'd be kicking butt :naughty:

Loved this one.

Of course, Douglas might counter by saying perhaps he can help you with the drafting and trading part of your job. After all, how else can you explain a roster that is a shadow of it's former self...:)

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Loved this one.

Of course, Douglas might counter by saying perhaps he can help you with the drafting and trading part of your job. After all, how else can you explain a roster that is a shadow of it's former self...:)

LMAO.

Trading yes I need help, I don't have the snakeoil salesman in me he does. As for drafting ... he always finishes poorer than me so he gets to draft earlier :sarcasm:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
LMAO.

Trading yes I need help, I don't have the snakeoil salesman in me he does. As for drafting ... he always finishes poorer than me so he gets to draft earlier :sarcasm:

Not quite always... you can discount my first couple of seasons in Columbus, considering what I inherited. We've managed the same number of appearances in a Stanley Cup Final -- and the same big goose-egg in the Cups column to show for our troubles. :(

I'm definitely more of a horse-trader than you - although that almost as often bites me in the ass, usually when I've felt pressured by money or future depth chart concerns into losing patience with a longer-term asset (Pacioretty being just the latest example, as I gave him up to get out from under Jokinen's contract, only to have both players turn in very respectable seasons - more fool me :cry: ).

I'll readily admit that your statistically-tuned mind is much better at maximizing the performance of your roster within the vagaries of the sim. If only we could ever agree on anything, we'd make a pretty potent Burke/Nonis combination. (I'd be Burke - not because I'd be in charge, but because I know you have little patience for his bluster!).

Now all we need is roughly $180 million dollars, plus an ongoing reserve fund to cover operational losses, and we're all set to take over a sunbelt franchise. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->