Motion Put Forward to Reconsider Flames Arena

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Some background from the approval IIRC

Since the arena deal was already approved by council - by a 11-4 margin, a two-thirds majority will be needed to reconsider the arena.

That would mean it would need 10 yes votes to kill the deal. In other words, a swing of 6 from pro arena to against it.

Wooley was one of the 4 no votes and also supported a motion to have the votes delayed which did not receive support. Councillor Farkas has seconded the motion and he also voted against the deal

Mayor Nenshi plus councillors Davison and Sutherland has already said they're not interested in revisiting the arena deal. They were both yes votes for the arena. That's 3 against the motion, 6 are needed for the motion to fail.

If this pattern extrapolates among the rest of the council, this motion will very likely fail tomorrow.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm vs. public funding of sports arenas but the deal is done so there you go. I think the arena will stay on track to be built.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Jeff Davison @JeffDavisonYYC
BREAKING: I am pleased to announce that definitive agreements are signed between the @cityofcalgary, the @NHLFlames and the @calgarystampede for Calgary’s new #EventCentre and Culture and Entertainment District. Onward to the next chapter of our City’s story! #yyc #yyccc

Looks like it's "official" now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->