GDT: Mostly AHL team from New Jersey vs. Pretty crappy team from British Columbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After this game, I give up on trying to predict what games for the remainder of the year are winnable and what games aren't. Detroit and Buffalo seem to be the ones that stick out, as well as the Rangers (who we can't beat for varying reasons this year) in the home finale.

I don't even see Colorado as being any less winnable than Vancouver right now. Colorado is in a death skid since they fell out of the playoffs.

They're almost like the Western version of Buffalo this year, only they didn't fall off until later in the year and were never leading the NHL in points.

I feel like Colorado are another team that fell victim to the DD jinx this year. That was one of the teams he was hyping up earlier in the year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rags, Wings, Sabres are all winnable. Would add the Yotes and Panthers too. Maybe Carolina.

Washington and Boston should be sure loses.
The Yotes are on a hot streak right now, but since it's mostly goalie aided, not sure how long it lasts.

If the Panthers game was at home, I'd definitely count that winnable, but it's in Florida and that's almost an auto loss. Even when we won a game in TB last year, I don't think we've beaten the Panthers in Sunrise since the second game of the 14-15 season. Pete was the head coach that night and Damon Severson scored his first career goal.

Not to mention that the Panthers are the Stanley Cup Champions of winning games/getting points in garbage time during lost seasons the last two years.

It will be interesting to see where Carolina is by that game. Already clinched? Still trying to clinch? Maybe even out of it?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Gonna watch the highlights now, I was too tired to make it through the whole game last night, but love the fight the guys are showing to come back and win.

Yes we want help for the ping pong balls but it’s more important to me that these guys gain experience and the team morale improves. Rather than limp all the way to the finish line like we did in 16-17, I’d rather see these guys compete game in and game out. For the most part, we’re getting that.

EDIT: Woof on that 2nd goal, but glad Mac rebounded nicely. Will have to watch the whole shootout, but great to see he rebounded enough to keep us in the game the rest of the way.

Love that Rooney keeps finding the net, he's really showing he can belong. Even happier Noesen finally got one too. I know his game could be fairly redundant along with the likes of some of our younger wingers, but it does seem like he's had those nagging injuries all year and I'd love to see him stick around to try and rekindle some of that magic from last year.

What a f***ing move by Sevy, make him a fixture in the SO going forward. :laugh: Maybe he's our secret weapon.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

We will win a few more games because our AHL guys are playing as if their lives depend on it while we will regularly face teams just playing out the string. Our energy on the forecheck and on the neutral pucks in center ice last night was very striking and has been on this entire trip. For our kids and bubble guys this is prime time, not garbage time. Guys like Rooney and Tangredi are having a blast.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hah I was wondering how many rounds the shootout got to before they rolled with Sevs...I actually thought it'd be fewer than seven with our AHL lineup though :P

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The second goal against Blackwood was like something Marty would give up.

Severson goal in the SO was hilarious. He deked himself out and somehow still scored.

I can't believe this team has a two game winning streak...

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The second goal was putrid but those things happen over the course of a season, I don't really put much into that. Blackwood played well, as did Markstrom. This isn't the result I expected/wanted but winning is fun.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I've seen -way- worse fluke goals scored than that second one against Blackwood. It's a bad goal against, but I wouldn't necessarily dog Blackwood for a goal like that. I doubt he could do that again if he tried to.

Reactions: mdj12784

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That was certainly Marty-Ozolinsh-esque.

But huge plus for Blackwood not only rebounding from the Calgary game but bulling forward after that hideous third period goal that could have ended last night. So much for the Flames fiasco ruining him for good.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That was certainly Marty-Ozolinsh-esque.

But huge plus for Blackwood not only rebounding from the Calgary game but bulling forward after that hideous third period goal that could have ended last night. So much for the Flames fiasco ruining him for good.

The narrative will undoubtedly go back to us breaking him the next time he gets lit up. Whether it’s his next game or his last game of the season.

And the next game he’s lit up, the “He’s just another Hamburglar” narrative will be fueled, along with the “He started out hot then fell apart” narrative, even if he has a shutout before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad