Most Valuable Oiler #9 - Tiebreak

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Between Martin Marincin and Ben Scrivens, who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In terms of next season definitely Scrivens in terms of trade value then likely Marincin.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Just curious, why is there a tie break when Marincin had 3 more votes than Scrivens in the poll?

In any event, as I am not sure whether Scrivens or Fasth will emerge as the #1 or 1A goalie, as a result I think Marincin is more valuable/important for this coming season and in terms of trade value. Perhaps if Fasth was not also on the team I would have voted differently as he seems capable of picking up the slack if Scrivens is underperforming.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
We got Scrivens for a 3rd, if we traded Marincin for a 3rd I'd puke.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta

Agreed. Would still prefer loser to go back into the vote for #10 then just giving it to him. The split votes on poll #9 with 3 defensemen with similar value will show in this tiebreaker poll. Predicting Marincin will win this by a landslide, then Klefbom and Petry would get more votes for #10 and #11.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

If PHI makes Lecavalier available for trade asks for either Scrivens or Marincin in return... who would MacT give up? Im thinking Marincin.

Scrivs has a lot more value to the team.. He can be the make or break guy when it comes to making the playoffs.. Marincin holds more value due to potential but is redundant with others in the system.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
If PHI makes Lecavalier available for trade asks for either Scrivens or Marincin in return... who would MacT give up? Im thinking Marincin.

Scrivs has a lot more value to the team.. He can be the make or break guy when it comes to making the playoffs.. Marincin holds more value due to potential but is redundant with others in the system.

Honestly I would hope neither, he's signed for too long and it would create cap issues later.

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

That's irrelevant. As you just said, Marincin holds more value. Value to the team =/= value

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I look forward to seeing Martian Manhunter lead a pairing this year, while contributing to the team's success. Which partner will he carry on his back? Petry again?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Marincin is arguably more valuable as a trade asset and also as a player in the short term. We need a goalie to succeed, but without Scrivens we still have Fasth. Marincin is arguably the best LHD we have. Keeping him means that Ference stays on the bottom pairing and that Nikitin doesn't get overwhelmed

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Value in a trade to a neutral team? Marincin
Value to the Oilers? Scrivens

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Marincin is arguably more valuable as a trade asset and also as a player in the short term. We need a goalie to succeed, but without Scrivens we still have Fasth. Marincin is arguably the best LHD we have. Keeping him means that Ference stays on the bottom pairing and that Nikitin doesn't get overwhelmed

I really hope that Nikitin is better than Marincin was last season for us. Nothing against Martin but you'd hope so for what we paid for Nikitin and his age, etc.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Goalies, unless they are elite are not worth much, theres a lot of average goalies out there. Went with Marincin here.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's harder to get a Marincin type player(young solid dman with potential) versus an average middle aged goalie(I like Scrivens but it's the truth).

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Agreed, IMO Scrivens has a better chance of carrying our team on his back than Fasth does or Marincin for that matter.

It blows me away so many people still seem to think that Scrivens is miles better than Fasth. With the Oil last year, Fasth's GAA was 0.28 lower than Scrivens. He also finished with a better W/L record. The only advantage Scrivens had was a measly .002 better Sv Pct. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how the starts get split up this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad