Most Valuable Oiler #8

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am floored Schultz is 8th or worse on this list.

His defense has been suspect/dismal to say the least but his offense projects to be top 5 in this league. In his rookie year he almost made the top ten. Even last year with all that went wrong he had solid offensive numbers.

Defenseman take longer to develop. Chara was older than Schultz before he hit his stride and a deeper draft choice as well.

By age, experience, and skillset Shultz is the closest thing we have to a top pairing type D-man. Sad as that is. But by that those things themselves I would have put him much higher.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

His defense has been suspect/dismal to say the least but his offense projects to be top 5 in this league. In his rookie year he almost made the top ten. Even last year with all that went wrong he had solid offensive numbers.

Defenseman take longer to develop. Chara was older than Schultz before he hit his stride and a deeper draft choice as well.

By age, experience, and skillset Shultz is the closest thing we have to a top pairing type D-man. Sad as that is. But by that those things themselves I would have put him much higher.

Well, in my opinion the top 5 is pretty tough to argue. Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Yak, and now LD are our top 5 most valuable players. At 6 you have to pick a defenseman because we don't have one in the top 5, so it really comes down to Nurse vs. Schultz. Nurse is trending to be a #1 D-man, whereas Schultz is struggling to be a top 4 d-man.

Perron is the clear pick at #7 given what he did last year. So Schultz is currently lost in the mix a little bit, because he wasn't very good last season. Another poor year from Yak mixed with a big season for Schultz could vault him into the top 5.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Schultz, I think he is on the cusp of a break out. Not a 60 point break out. But a 45 point performance with improved D zone play.

Marincin vs Klefbom poll round 3 at spot 9 or 10 will be fun

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Although for next year, Fayne, Petry and Scrivens are the most important Oilers on this list. Need big seasons from all

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Scrivens. Can't win games without solid goaltending

I voted Scrivens as well even though i see it as a 65-17 tandem. If Fasth can be solid for 17-22 games...a redted Scrivens will be invaluable. If Fasth fails, which i dont foresee, than its a very heavy load for a goalie who hasnt worked that kind of regularity before.
As a tandem they are extremely important.

With Justin Schultz i think his d partner will be more important until Schultz has half a brain defensively.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Agreed. I actually have Schultz at 3 or at worst 4.
I don't understand why Yak is ahead of him and i certainly don't understand why Nurse is ahead of him.

I think that the rest of the league values Schultz higher than Oiler fans do and conversely, i think that Oiler fans value Nurse higher than anybody else does. He's becoming a bit overrated by Oiler fans to be honest IMO.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Agreed. I actually have Schultz at 3 or at worst 4.
I don't understand why Yak is ahead of him and i certainly don't understand why Nurse is ahead of him.

I think that the rest of the league values Schultz higher than Oiler fans do and conversely, i think that Oiler fans value Nurse higher than anybody else does. He's becoming a bit overrated by Oiler fans to be honest IMO.

I agree here with everything you say.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Scrivens can't be 9th people or we are in trouble.

To me this was about most valuable to the teams success.

If we are talking trades Schultz is the first guy i would think of. I would trade him before everyone except yak and petry...and out of all expendable guys i could get the highest return for him.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Scrivens can't be 9th people or we are in trouble.

In recent years, average goalies don't have much trade value at all. We basically got him just this season for peanuts, and he would get peanuts in a trade, despite the fact that he's very valuable to the team.

I am still going for him next after Schultz though.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
9 *Devan Dubnyk 39% thats why scrivens cant be 9

Yea, I think we are counting our chickens before they hatch here. Scrivens and Fasth have looked great so far but lots of goalies put up entire seasons with fantastic stats and performance before ending up as career backups. That's probably why goalies go for so little in the trade market (and the bonafide perennial starters who have proven themselves over multiple seasons are essentially never moved).

I guess the people voting for him think that he's going to prove himself further this season, which is definitely reasonable given his performance for us so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eirhead*

I'm really excited for this season. First one in a long time where we're starting the year with the same coach we ended the last one with. Should make for a better start of the year; and hopefully we can start seeing some certain players hit their potentials - like Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins and/or Yakupov.

Even if just 1 of those 3 hit potential, that should translate into movement in the standings. But if by chance they catch lightning in a bottle and all 3 of them are firing, I do think this could be a playoff team. It definitely has to be on the backs of those I mentioned... and Hall needs to stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad