Most Valuable Oiler #6

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... Ignore team need. One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2015 Offseason Results:
*new to 2015-2016 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2014-2015
#tiebreak

2014 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table]
Rank|Name|Vote|Δ
1| Taylor Hall|96%|--
2| Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|84%|--
3| Jordan Eberle|59%|+1
4| Nail Yakupov|43%|-1
5| Leon Draisaitl |39%|*
6| Darnell Nurse |39%|+6
7| David Perron |52%|+4
8| Justin Schultz |63%|-3
9| Martin Marincin # |30%|^
10| Oscar Klefbom # |34%|-2
11| Ben Scrivens |45%|*
12| Jeff Petry |67%|-2
13| Mark Fayne |66%|*
14| Benoit Pouliot |38%|*
15| Boyd Gordon |43%|-1
16| Victor Fasth |36%|*
17| Andrew Ference # |28%|-4
18| Teddy Purcell |37%|*
19| Nikita Nikitin # |34%|*
20| Marc Acrobello |52%|^
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
^unranked in 2013-2014
#tiebreak
[/collapse]2013 Offseason Results:
[collapse=table2]*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster[/collapse]

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This one could actually be pretty interesting.

I'd say at this point Yakupov would fetch a slightly higher return than Draisaitl. Yak has slightly more draft pedigree, still a higher ceiling, and has shown to be pretty good when under non-Eakins coaching. He has his flaws absolutely, but Drai is less proven even if somewhat more likely to pan out at this point.

I could make similar arguments about Drai (or Sekera) though on why they could be ahead of Yak, either would be a good choice here really.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Tough call between Sekera and Draisatl for this and the next. Could go either way.

Last edited:

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Yea the question here is who has the most trade value to a neutral team.

Sekera was worth a 1st and a later pick last trade deadline wasnt he?

I see Draisaitl as MUCH more valuable in a trade then Sekera, Although Sekera is much more important and valuable to the Oilers success this next year.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Honestly, I wish these polls were about value to the Oilers, not trade value. It would be a more relevant discussion, as we could get a genuine idea who is most important to the organization's future.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
I picked much different than the rest.

Griffin Reinhart.

He's a young and underrated defenceman. He's already began development, but yet he's nowhere near past his prime, so he will last a long time. Plus, he has had experience in leadership captaining Team Canada at the world juniors.

Obviously Leon is valuable, but we are already loaded up at Centre, whereas defence, we weren't so much.

-------------------------
Now our only problem here is that we aren't talking about value to the team. That really throws things off.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Klefa for me, but I've always been high on him. At 21 years old, he's a legit top 4 dman, who's big, mobile, and put up 20 points in 60 games as a rookie (already more than Brodin's career high). Imo, he's got the same upside as Nurse (just a different style)

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Honestly, I wish these polls were about value to the Oilers, not trade value. It would be a more relevant discussion, as we could get a genuine idea who is most important to the organization's future.

Someone actually did that a couple of months ago. It was before Sekera but it went McDavid Hall RNH Nurse Klefbom I think.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I picked much different than the rest.

Griffin Reinhart.

He's a young and underrated defenceman. He's already began development, but yet he's nowhere near past his prime, so he will last a long time. Plus, he has had experience in leadership captaining Team Canada at the world juniors.

Obviously Leon is valuable, but we are already loaded up at Centre, whereas defence, we weren't so much.

-------------------------
Now our only problem here is that we aren't talking about value to the team. That really throws things off.

You might want to read the OP again. To a neutral team what player has the most value...

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Klefbom for me 21YO and was our best blueliner, I think his ceiling is under rated around here, he has very good #2 upside.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Klefbom for me 21YO and was our best blueliner, I think his ceiling is under rated around here, he has very good #2 upside.

coming into last season, Marincin was still ahead of him... but he came into last season with jump, and I can't help but wonder if he has more jump in his game. I hear the kid can really skate...

Nugey McNugeson

Nov 24, 2014
Edmonton
I've voted Sekera the past three polls. IMO we've desperately needed a top pairing d-man for years and he's the closest thing to that we have. If we are going to be competing for a playoff spot, it'll be in large part because of Sekera

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad