Most Valuable Oiler #11

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Save percentage isn't everything. Dubnyk has taught me that the eye test is perhaps more important than hard stats when it comes to goalies.

Scrivens looks more like what we need a goalie to be. We need an active, athletic goalie who can challenge the opposition on clear looks. We don't have the players to play a defensive system where a goalie gets screened a lot (often by his own players) where surface area is a huge asset. Scrivens' stats took a bit of a hit moving from LA to Edmonton, but we also made a decent upgrade on D for next season so I expect him to improve on his late season stats with Edmonton.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Save percentage isn't everything. Dubnyk has taught me that the eye test is perhaps more important than hard stats when it comes to goalies.

Scrivens looks more like what we need a goalie to be. We need an active, athletic goalie who can challenge the opposition on clear looks. We don't have the players to play a defensive system where a goalie gets screened a lot (often by his own players) where surface area is a huge asset. Scrivens' stats took a bit of a hit moving from LA to Edmonton, but we also made a decent upgrade on D for next season so I expect him to improve on his late season stats with Edmonton.

Very good comment. Dubnyk .920 in 12-13, last year he was what?

The big issue we will have is whether or not Scrivens or Fasth for that matter can step up and be a starter. It's nothing to play 20 games with a crap team in front of you, but if our team defense doesn't improve greatly neither guy will be able to steal the #1 job. Unless of course the other one really sucks this year.

It's why I don't mind having these 2 guys. 2 guys that should at times make a case for being the starter, but at times will probably lay an egg and look like Dubnyk did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad