Most useful advanced numbers for PK'ers

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hey,

I am just cruising BTN, and i got to thinking what would be the best metric to determine if a player is useful on the PK.

I was thinking at first just looking at BF/60 on and BF/60 off. but it didnt seem like enough data.

so I instead combined BF/60 on/off with SA/60 on/off. so you get a ratio of the percentage of SA a player blocks every 60 minutes and whether or not the team blocks more shots and sees more shots when they are off the ice. but thats still not enough data. it doesnt account for steals/clears etc.

the best i could think of was the above but also include MA/60 on/off.

so basically if player A sees 30 shots per 60 on and 25 against off, blocks 20/60 on and the team blocks 23/60 off. while MA/60 is like 25 and MA/60 off is 19. what can we glean about player A from this?

is he very good at angles? is he primarily a shot blocker hence the increased numbers? hes creating or at least on the ice for more misses against, but does he inherently invite more shots due to being a shot blocker?

what other numbers can we use?

Kershaw

For individual PKers, I go by the 4vs5 individual Corsi, but I'm a bit old school. I don't like to include blocked shots into the equation since the objective of a PKing player should be to prevent the opposition from taking shots. Obviously, not all systems or players follow that model in the NHL, so it is tough to gauge.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Thanks for the link. I am not good at getting that into the weeds on this stuff. :laugh:

For individual PKers, I go by the 4vs5 individual Corsi, but I'm a bit old school. I don't like to include blocked shots into the equation since the objective of a PKing player should be to prevent the opposition from taking shots. Obviously, not all systems or players follow that model in the NHL, so it is tough to gauge.

well, corsi on/off is definitely a good blanket way to go. Given that PKing generally leads to shots against no matter what (as evidenced by the above link) PP can generally control things a lot better. I like the SA/60 on/off. since a guy blocking a shot or causing a miss is the same as not taking a shot at all, i have to credit them in those instances.

maybe id start with corsi, but take out misses/blocks.

so youd have Corsi - (misses+blocks). which would leave you with goals/saves/60?

i dunno haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad