Most unlikely NHL Regular Season Record to ever break...

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
1928-29 season, George Hainsworth registers 22 regular season shutouts. Nobody is remotely close.

Perhaps even more mind blowing is that Hainsworth finished that season with 22 wins — every single one a shutout.

They had ties back then so several of those shutouts were 0-0 games. Only 16 of his 22 wins were a shutouts, which means six shutouts came in 0-0 ties. He did only allow 6 goals against in those remaining six wins so overall in 22 wins he allowed six goals in total.

George Hainsworth Stats and News

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
They had ties back then so several of those shutouts were 0-0 games. Only 16 of his 22 wins were a shutouts, which means six shutouts came in 0-0 ties. He did only allow 6 goals against in those remaining six wins so overall in 22 wins he allowed six goals in total.

George Hainsworth Stats and News
Correct — my mistake.

Even so, 22 shutouts and 22 wins — unbelievable and likely untouchable.

Reactions: Killion

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Correct — my mistake.

Even so, 22 shutouts and 22 wins — unbelievable and likely untouchable.

Not to detract from Hainsworth's 22 shutout season, but the late 20's were ridiculously low scoring. 6 other goalies hit double digit shutout totals that season(in a ten team league). 10 of the 15 all time single season shutout holders were recorded between 1925-30.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Not to detract from Hainsworth's 22 shutout season, but the late 20's were ridiculously low scoring. 6 other goalies hit double digit shutout totals that season. 10 of the 15 most single season shutout holders were recorded between 1925-30.

Absolutely — but we are still talking about 22 vs 15, which is the gap between Hainsworth and a handful of others, most of whom were his contemporaries. That’s a huge spread no matter how we slice it.

In the modern era, Tony O put up 15, and I believe Hasek had a season of 12 or 13. But those numbers are just so far from 22 — anyone putting up 15 in the future would need to add 50% more to squeak by Hainsworth, and I’m not even adjusting for length of season or number of starts.

Can’t see this record going down unless the nets shrink and the regular season is 100+ games.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Absolutely — but we are still talking about 22 vs 15, which is the gap between Hainsworth and a handful of others, most of whom were his contemporaries. That’s a huge spread no matter how we slice it.

In the modern era, Tony O put up 15, and I believe Hasek had a season of 12 or 13. But those numbers are just so far from 22 — anyone putting up 15 in the future would need to add 50% more to squeak by Hainsworth, and I’m not even adjusting for length of season or number of starts.

Can’t see this record going down unless the nets shrink and the regular season is 100+ games.

Oh, I totally agree. I think 15 is pretty safe for 2nd, let alone anyone coming close to toppling 22.

The NHL history nerd in me just wanted to put some context into the time that Hainsworth played.

Reactions: Killion

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
I think you missed my point, however. I said that records like 92 goals and 215 points can and might be beaten. But 163 assists will not.

Why? Because (a) 92 goals and (b) 163 assists are not comparable records. You might think they are because they're both Gretzky's highest respective totals, but they're not. 163 assists is on a completely different level.

Gretzky's 92 goals would have been matched by Gretzky himself in 1984 if not for injury. Brett Hull scored 86. Mario 85, and who knows about in 1993? Adjust scoring levels in 2008 and maybe Ovechkin is up around 80-85 or whatever. People have come close.

Even 215 points is theoretically approachable. Gretzky's 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986 (even 1987 before the last four games of the season and 1988 without injury) are all comparable. Lemieux's 1989 and 1993 likewise.

163 assists is different. Unlike the 92 goals or the 215 points (or 2.77PPG in 1984), Gretzky himself never once came close to that total. It was a total one-off.

To put it in perspective: Mario Lemieux -- arguably the most talented offensive player in the 125+ year history of the sport -- managed once to reach 114 assists, and never higher. That is, the most individually-talented player's greatest assists' season was short of Gretzky's total by about 50 assists. And that's by far the best he ever did.

So, this particular record is on a completely different level.

The best "assists season" since Gretzky fell out of the scoring race twenty years ago is Joe Thornton in 2006, when he had 96 assists. The most assists since Gretzky's prime ended in 1991 is Adam Oates with 97 for Boston in 1993. So, the best raw numbers we've seen in terms of assists in the past quarter-century are about 65 assists short of the record.

The 2005-06 season when Thornton had his big year was around 'average' in terms of historical scoring levels. By contrast, 1993 was sort-of a higher-than-usual scoring season for elite players. Gretzky's biggest season here (1986) "adjusts" (by historical League average scoring levels) to around 130 assists, and Thornton, as mentioned, stays around the same (96-ish).

In other words, the best playmaking season since (Gretzky) 27 years ago falls nearly 35 assists short of the record. (I believe Thornton's 2006 season is actually the highest 'adjusted' assists season in modern history, comparable with Lemieux's and Orr's best.)

So, in the history of the League, 35 assists short in "adjusted" levels and 50 short in raw numbers is the very-best anyone has managed in 110 years.

Kiss that one goodbye!

For me, the most amazing record held by Gretzky regarding assists is number of consecutive 100 assists seasons. He had 11. Orr and Lemieux had one 100 assist season each during their careers and no one else has done it even once.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
did some detective work but finally found some numbers for this.

henrik and daniel sedin assisted on the same goal a record 313 times.

by comparison, number two is gretzky and kurri, who assisted on the same goal 204 times.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->