Most underrated prospects in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Lemme chime in with my Sharks underrated prospects

Mike Morris: Speedy winger who has been quietly building himself a nice college career. Not expecting anything bigtime from this guy but he'll be one good 3rd liner. Hearing his name on this board is near non-existant.

Matt Carle: Another Sharks collegiate player who gets no love on the boards. Won championships with the US junior team and with Denver University. Stellar young defenseman...another in a long line of Sharks defenseman. Has top 4 upside.

Patrick Ehelechner: Singlehandedly made Sudbury Wolves a playoff team. He won nearly every team award (I think he even won best forward and defenseman :D ). Nice young German goaltender with good skills and will only get better (especially after Strelow works with him).

Marcel Goc: My personal favorite of this list. Some saw what he can do in the playoffs. The kid is just great all-around. Superb at faceoffs and takes his defensive responsiblities very seriously. I wouldn't doubt it if he starts with the Sharks next year...maybe as their 3rd line center!! Goc has 2nd line upside once his offense blossoms over here.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Leafaholix said:
He doesn't have Franchise player potential.

Problem is that he's very one-dimensional... guys like him aren't often Franchise players.

What's his one dimension?

If you've watched some games with him playing, (especially in the tail end of the season where he finally got top line minutes and Power play time) you wouldn't make that statement.

I don't feel he's got "franchise" written on him, but he easily has first line talent on any team someday.

If you watched games (a big assumption) you'd have seen that speed and creativity aren't his only dimension. For a guy of his size, he does have some willingness to go into the corners, and his shot has been underated.

But don't take my word for it, wait till you see him in the next couple of years. Ovechkin might get the main spotlight, but Semin could be the heir to Peter Bondra and then some.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
oh yeah, add Brooks Orpik to this list.

We haven't heard any inflated Penguin fans opinions.

(sarcasm for those of you a little slow on the uptake)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Jeff Taffe in Phoenix

Jared Stoll in Edmonton

Martin Strbak in Pittsburgh

:mad: ...damn it!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm glad someone else brought up Bergenheim. I'm an Isle fan so I was waiting for his name to pop up. Now that it has, I must add that I totally agree. The kid has looked very good during his WJHC appearances and impressed everyone on the Island in training camp this year. He's a tenacious worker with blazing speed and pretty good hands, he looks like he'll be a good one.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Takkie said:
for the Panthers:
Rob Globke
Josh Olson(6'5, Physical with tons of skills)
Filip Novak
Dany Roussin

Couldn't agree more on Roussin...has put up huge numbers in the Q, even when Crosby wasn't there. Good size, and ability

guitaraholic*

mazmin said:
Jeff Taffe in Phoenix

Jared Stoll in Edmonton

Martin Strbak in Pittsburgh

:mad: ...damn it!

Not sure how Taffe qualifies as underrated..... I've heard plenty of people talk him up esp. in comparison to what I've seen from him, but that's just my opinon. My understanding is the concensus seems to be his upside isn't nearly as high as people initially thought. His stock, outside of Phx fans, of course, seems to actually be dropping.

PEli*

Stich said:
I've been following Shkotov for 2 years and the only person I've heard say this about him is Peli. So, until I see some proof, as far as I'm concerned it's not true.

So you haven't seen him play? Well like I said before, I've watched him play numerous times (both live and on television) and that's enough proof for me.

You're basing everything on scouting reports and video clips of his goals, I'd imagine. There is nothing special about Alexei Shkotov.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Leafaholix said:
He doesn't have Franchise player potential.

Problem is that he's very one-dimensional... guys like him aren't often Franchise players.

I agree with you that he's not a franchise player, whether or not Ovechkin is a capital...outside of the NHL, he was one dimensional but the coaching staff went to great pains to have him concentrate on his defensive game and was kept on a very short leash by the organziation both off and on the ice...he's got a lot of room to improve but during the end of the season he really showed that he's got the vision and the ability to understand the play to make him an effective scorer without taking pointless risks

On a different note, Stana is really underrated...he's played just as well as Oullet...if Yonkman actually plays a full season, he could suprise a few people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->