Most underrated prospects in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

I really like Balej, he looked awesome in the AHL and am glad he got a chance to show he can play in the NHL.

I also think Pock is slightly underrated but to him being undrafted but he has some good potential.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Russian Fan said:
lol I typed too fast, you knew who I was talking about : Antti Miettinen

I agree with your pick though, Antti got some props during "Darkhorse Calder candidates" threads, but his name seems quickly forgotten.

thestonedkoala

Probably because he didn't do very much. Out of sight, out of mind. Eero Somervari or whatever his name was suppose to be a dark horse too...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Russian Fan said:
lol I typed too fast, you knew who I was talking about : Antti Miettinen
Petr Vrana is the most underated Devils prospect. How people can't see his skills and heart is beyond me. I guess he was overshadowed by Parise at the draft.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Jozeph_Balej said:
people often look draft rank and then see Balej ,a 3rd round pick with small size .

Balej leaded the AHL in scoring when he was trade to New York and he's now one of the best project around imo .
well i was down on him when i heard of the trade mostly because of his age, thought he was a little old but he was good, legit top 6 for sure

as for being overrated, that's just bitterness from someone who hates (a hab fan perhaps?), i don't ever remember seeing anything on balej yet he's probably going to be a nice 25-30 goal scorer in the nhl something deserved of top prospect status

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Stich said:
Most Blues prospects are underrated by the masses, so it's hard just to pick a few. :D

But, if I had to choose, I'd say that most underrted Blues prospects are:
Trevor Byrne: The resident Worcester expert here on the boards says that he'll be a #3 dman within a few years. He should get his first taste of the NHL next season.
Alexei Shkotov: Undersized, but has loads of offensive talent. A lot like Hudler, actually, even picked before him in the same draft. Yet, somehow Hudler is the great prospect.
Shawn Belle: Yes, he's a high risk guy but if he was a member of a few other organizations people would be touting him so much because of his raw talent.
Konstantin Zakharov: Was always accused of riding the coattails of Andrei Kostitsyn but has proven in his first year in the Q that he has his own talents.

There's a few others, but those are the main ones...

Just to let you know, Hudler averaged over a point a game in the Czech Elite League and nearly had that in his first year in the AHL at the age of 20. And was on the Wings roster at the age of 19. I wouldn't consider him a great prospect but a pretty good one.

As for underrated, I like Petr Kanko of LA, Sean Bergenheim of NYI and Alexander Polushin of Tampa.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
How is Corey Locke underrated? I say he's overrated!

I was wondering the exact same thing. Very few people outside of Montreal fans think he is underrated. Just goes to show what junior stats do for you. People don't realize that his game doesn't translate well to the NHL. Sure, he could very well pan out, but at this point it's a longshot. He is definitely not underrated, if anything, he is overrated.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
MisterUnspoken said:
I also agree with Jason Pominville who Sabres fans say is expendable because of their RW depth :dunno: .

Really? Personally I think there are some RWs at the NHL level that are becoming expendable because of Pominville, not the other way around. :dunno:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Coffey77 said:
Just to let you know, Hudler averaged over a point a game in the Czech Elite League and nearly had that in his first year in the AHL at the age of 20. And was on the Wings roster at the age of 19. I wouldn't consider him a great prospect but a pretty good one.

As for underrated, I like Petr Kanko of LA, Sean Bergenheim of NYI and Alexander Polushin of Tampa.

Not going to pick any Pens prospects, but I totally agree with Bergenheim.

degroat*

Russian Fan said:
Jean Michel Bolduc ? Underrated ? HOW? Is he a future TOP 3 D ? dont think so !

Same thing for Trevor Byrne.

Why is Trevor Byrne not a future top 3 D?

PEli*

Stich said:
Alexei Shkotov: Undersized, but has loads of offensive talent. A lot like Hudler, actually, even picked before him in the same draft. Yet, somehow Hudler is the great prospect.

That's probably because Shkotov is a hotdog primadonna with a crappy attitude towards his opponents and coaches. Not to mention a distraction on the ice.

degroat*

Coffey77 said:

I wasn't really trying to say that Hudler isn't a great prospect, only that it's ridiculous that Hudler is treated like a god while most people don't even know who Shkotov is.

As fas as stats are concerned... Shkotov averaged 1.6 PPG this past year in the Q, the 4th best total in the league. One of the people he was behind was Crosby and another was one of Crosby's linemates.

PEli said:
That's probably because Shkotov is a hotdog primadonna with a crappy attitude towards his opponents and coaches. Not to mention a distraction on the ice.

A primadonna that scores 1.6 PPG? A player with a crappy attitude that scores 1.6 PPG? A distraction on the ice that scores 1.6 PPG?

Sorry, but you dont produce that much without a pretty consistant effort and plenty of icetime from a coach you say he has a crappy attitude towards.

TVanek26*

I think I'll be like almost everyone else on this thread....

"Watch out for Jiri Novotny!He'll be a 40 goal scorer...and that Denis Ezhov is the next Bobby Orr!"

Pretty much everyone is saying their own prospects are underrated....I do like Dan Fritsche...

Sammy*

Stich said:
A primadonna that scores 1.6 PPG? A player with a crappy attitude that scores 1.6 PPG? A distraction on the ice that scores 1.6 PPG?

Sorry, but you dont produce that much without a pretty consistant effort and plenty of icetime from a coach you say he has a crappy attitude towards.

Sorry, you are absolutly out to lunch on this.
The AHL & Juniors (& for that matter the NHL) is littered with guys who have bad attitudes but who put up numbers . Ever heard of a guy called Jagr?

degroat*

Sammy said:
Sorry, you are absolutly out to lunch on this.
The AHL & Juniors (& for that matter the NHL) is littered with guys who have bad attitudes but who put up numbers . Ever heard of a guy called Jagr?

Okay... so either this stuff about his attitude is, well, wrong and his work ethic is the cause of his production or he is extremely talented and doesn't need to work to produce.

Either way you put it, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I say the most underrated player is Brian Boyle, there has been no hype since he was drafted, and he will be a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->