Most underrated prospects in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Svatos can be one of these. I like also the attitude of Svitov with his country teammate Zherdev. It will be a good duo in the near future. But the most underrated prospect for me is Maxim Ouellette becqause he had a tremedous season in the AHL with a very poor team.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
IFK said:
Ari Ahonen
A true JYP product, Ari Ahonen is underrated but I don't think he is to most underrated prospect in the NHL today. The most underrated prospect imo is Colorado's Marek Svatos. Svatos is a small player but imo he has a lot of talent.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin Erat? :joker:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
tough question...
Balej would have been my vote but since he has been traded to the rags, people now understand how good he is....
hummm..
I like the Sabres prospects: Paillé,Roy,Pominville :D

degroat*

Most Blues prospects are underrated by the masses, so it's hard just to pick a few. :D

But, if I had to choose, I'd say that most underrted Blues prospects are:
Trevor Byrne: The resident Worcester expert here on the boards says that he'll be a #3 dman within a few years. He should get his first taste of the NHL next season.
Alexei Shkotov: Undersized, but has loads of offensive talent. A lot like Hudler, actually, even picked before him in the same draft. Yet, somehow Hudler is the great prospect.
Shawn Belle: Yes, he's a high risk guy but if he was a member of a few other organizations people would be touting him so much because of his raw talent.
Konstantin Zakharov: Was always accused of riding the coattails of Andrei Kostitsyn but has proven in his first year in the Q that he has his own talents.

There's a few others, but those are the main ones...

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
wilka91 said:
Ovechkin is underrated.
Somehow I think that Ovechkin is overrated. The things I've heard of him and the things I've seen him do isn't nowhere near each other. He hasn't been doing I though he could do... Then again, I haven't seen much and I might be wrong.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Padawan said:
Somehow I think that Ovechkin is overrated. The things I've heard of him and the things I've seen him do isn't nowhere near each other. He hasn't been doing I though he could do... Then again, I haven't seen much and I might be wrong.
You are not alone on this one. Next Mario? I didnt see that yet. Ive only sen him play during the WJC the past two years and for now i still think that Kovalchuk was more productive at the same age. Time will tell...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Much like "Stich" and his Blues, the exact same can be said of the Dallas Stars, with the exception of some.

Loui Eriksson - 18 years old - SEL Rookie of the year.. Most promesing young talent in Sweden, according to their U21 coach.. Draws comparisons of Peter Forsberg (style, not upside) and impresses both offensively and defensively during the season and international tournaments. Arguably on par, or nearly on par at least, with fellow teammate Alexander Steen and quite ahead of Isles' Robert Nillson, yet Eriksson remained unnamed on the top 50 prospect list, while these two were, and not even low either. He didn't even get a consideration or even was on the radar from my understandings.

Jussi Jokinen - 21 years old - One of the top talents in Finland yet is rarely talked about. No potential superstar or anything, but his skillset and other attributes should warrant some attention and credit, he even has the stats to back it up. Coming off a decent season in the FNL, likely remaining in Finland for at least one more season.

There are more, but those are the hard working/3rd line checking types (Hagos, Tjarnqvist, etc.), but I figure these are pretty much underrated in common.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
jcpenny said:
You are not alone on this one. Next Mario? I didnt see that yet. Ive only sen him play during the WJC the past two years and for now i still think that Kovalchuk was more productive at the same age. Time will tell...

Ovechkin will be a special player, if he pans out like he's hyped to be. But the 'hype-machine' experts or amateurs should always remember, that hype doesn't make the player, it's the player who must want it enough. Remember Daniel Cleary, hyped to be the next big thing ?? I'm sure there are other examples, but Cleary was a big one :amazed:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
wilka91 said:
Ovechkin is underrated. The media tells us he's the next Mario, but he could blossom into a God!!! :lol:

Ovechkin isn't in the NHL yet ;)

I'd say Josef Balej, Alex Semin, and Grigorenko.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Kryoptix said:
tough question...
Balej would have been my vote but since he has been traded to the rags, people now understand how good he is....
hummm..
hah i was going to say Balej, i never knew how good he was till he came here and man he is good

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Kryoptix said:

One guy I think is going to be a huge suprise for many is Rob Globke from the Florida Panthers.

I also agree with Jason Pominville who Sabres fans say is expendable because of their RW depth :dunno: .

Another under-rated prospect is Petr Prucha of the New York Rangers.

Yet another would be Anton Babchuk of Chicago.

And just because I dislike the Islanders, Ill give their prospect goalie Wade Dubiec... ? the nod for most under-rated goaltender.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The next Mario good god if he can even hold a candle stick to him at the end of his carreer he will have massively overachieved.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Padawan said:

Well, I agree with the other poster who questioned his comparison to Mario Lemieux. I mean come on, Mario was a once in a generation player, I just don't see that in Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MisterUnspoken said:
One guy I think is going to be a huge suprise for many is Rob Globke from the Florida Panthers.

I also agree with Jason Pominville who Sabres fans say is expendable because of their RW depth :dunno: .

Another under-rated prospect is Petr Prucha of the New York Rangers.

Yet another would be Anton Babchuk of Chicago.

And just because I dislike the Islanders, Ill give their prospect goalie Wade Dubiec... ? the nod for most under-rated goaltender.

Good call on Globke. IMO his game is better suited for the NHL, and that's after being very productive at the college level. Good size, great skating, and a nice touch around the net. Bill Guerin?

thestonedkoala

Most people think I'm nuts when I talk about the Wild prospects...

Jean Michel Bolduc - Most people don't realize that his stock dropped because of off ice issues with his team and his coach. He put together a solid season with the Ramparts this season and looks to continue that next year. Is a project but has great size and should fill out. Could end up as a late bloomer, but being a 3rd-4th round pick in a deep draft that fell to the 8th, this guy is a steal.

Georgii Misharin - Unknown prospect coming out of Russia that played on their World Junior Teams, Misharin put together a good season with the Spirits as their resident pest on the blueline. He doesn't get much press but he should be a solid fixture for the Wild and their blueline if they sign him next year.

Matt Foy - Most people don't realize he was injured a lot last year in the beginning but when he finally broke out, he broke out. Houston was a mess too, so it didn't help that he didn't have very good teammates or on ice veterans to help him but he ended up playing extremely well in the end. Should break out next year if he can stay healthy.

Rickard Wallin - I don't know if you can call him a prospect still but he has good size, and has preformed extremely well down in the minors with a brief call up in the NHL. Is the only real center the Wild have that can keep up with Gaborik, so points won't be a hard thing for him. Is a bit injury prone. People think I'm silly for calling him a top 6 forward but he has the skills, the hands, and the speed to be one. Like Foy, he's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind, type of prospect. Is built similiar to the Sedins.

Josh Harding - This guy gets little press as a top end goaltender. While the Wild do need to bring in more goaltenders, they have a top end for the future in Harding. Saw over 200 shots in the 2002-2003 playoffs with the Regina Pats and let in only 13. Had a up and down year this year but should rebound. Needs to prove himself in the AHL though to be cemented as a top end goaltender.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Is this who are the players on your team that we are not talking very much or an underrated thread ?

I understand the need to say, my prospect on my team bla bla bla is not talk often, but not talk often does not mean underrated.

Jean Michel Bolduc ? Underrated ? HOW? Is he a future TOP 3 D ? dont think so !

Same thing for Trevor Byrne.

Everytime this type of thread turn into a pissing contest on how my team prospects is not talk very often.

I can understand some Rickard Wallin or Shawn Belle but there's no reason to show us the top 10 prospects of each team.

+ the fact that it's the most underrated prospect IN the NHL

To get back on the subject I think Marek Svatos is underrated, Jonathan Cheechoo was not talk very much for his great season, Antti Nieminen even he didn't played a whole season. There's probably more of them but that's who is on my mind right now.

thestonedkoala

You might not think so, but IMO he does have a ton of upside to him and has finally broken out in the QMJHL after some pretty bad seasons. And that's exactly why I think Bolduc is underrated along with Misharin is BECAUSE NO ONE believes they have any upside to them because they are 1) unknown 2) taken in the netheregions of the draft.

Back on the subject Stefan Liv and James Howard don't get much press and I think they are pretty damn good goalies. Klein, Weber, and Egener are good defensemen too.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
You might not think so, but IMO he does have a ton of upside to him and has finally broken out in the QMJHL after some pretty bad seasons. And that's exactly why I think Bolduc is underrated along with Misharin is BECAUSE NO ONE believes they have any upside to them because they are 1) unknown 2) taken in the netheregions of the draft.

Back on the subject Stefan Liv and James Howard don't get much press and I think they are pretty damn good goalies. Klein, Weber, and Egener are good defensemen too.

The question is more what the word underrated means to you ?

Underrated is no one talk of 1 player & because of that he's underrated ?

To me underrated is a person that was considered a good prospect no more/no less & suddenly he's underrated because he's now have the potential to turn into a top 6 forward or a top 3.

Can you honestly say that Bolduc will turn into that ? I can't say it. I dont say Bolduc is not good but he's not underrated either. He's just where he should be.

Underrated/Overrated is not based on what HF posters think or because so many HF poster talk about a guy that he becomes overrated. I think it's a misconception that many including tend to think.

The world doesn't resolve around HF. If Pavel Datsyuk suddenly is talked by 20 posters in the same week that doesn't make him OVERRATED & the same thing apply because no one talk about Bolduc that he's now UNDERRATED. I could agree that Wallin got some very good potential & that he is TOP 6 forward material.

thestonedkoala

Up until the draft Bolduc was looked to be a very good defenseman coming into the draft. He was rated pretty high in the CSB, 84th overall but dropped significantly because of his off-ice issues with both coaches and the team to the 281st spot. That is a huge drop for a player rated 84th. Bolduc could easily turn into a top 3 because of his size and skill. He might never be a real big point producer like he is in the QMJHL.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
in the hall said:
hah i was going to say Balej, i never knew how good he was till he came here and man he is good

people often look draft rank and then see Balej ,a 3rd round pick with small size .

Balej leaded the AHL in scoring when he was trade to New York and he's now one of the best project around imo .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->