Most underrated player of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
lemieux32 said:
He was one of , if not the, best defensive defenseman in the biggest offensive era in hockey. If he played in the late 90's people would be singing his praises.

Lowe on his best day wasn't in the same league as Mark Howe.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mothra said:
Wow....a bit surprised that you say Kerr was overrated.....I lean the other way on that. Mark Howe is definitely underrated IMO (but no....he should not have won the Norris over Langway)

Kerr was very very good, but he often the most talked abuot of the mid-80's Flyers, while Propp and Howe were far and away the two best players.

Howe's best was after Langway's 2 Norris wins, so I wouldn't argue that, but I would say that Howe was a better player and had a better career than Langway.

Howe excelled at both ends of the ice. Howe had a much bigger edge in the offensive end than Langway did in the defensive end.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Kerr was very very good, but he often the most talked abuot of the mid-80's Flyers, while Propp and Howe were far and away the two best players.

Howe's best was after Langway's 2 Norris wins, so I wouldn't argue that, but I would say that Howe was a better player and had a better career than Langway.

Howe excelled at both ends of the ice. Howe had a much bigger edge in the offensive end than Langway did in the defensive end.

I would agree that Howe was the better overall player in their primes.....not sure about having a better career.....two Norris Trophies, a Stanley Cup, and the face of the franchise that he pretty much saved from extinction is hard to top

lemieux32*

John Flyers Fan said:
Lowe on his best day wasn't in the same league as Mark Howe.

Two different types of D-men. Lowe was a pure defensive defenseman and as I said he was one of the best in the most offensive eras of hockey, therefore he gets little credit.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
MS said:
Most under-rated player of all time is probably Andy Bathgate, who was top-5 in scoring something like 10 consecutive years, but isn't remembered on nearly the level of his peers.
Nice to see a very knowledgable fan.
In his day Bathgate was recognized plenty as is attested by his 1st team
and 2nd team all stars and Hart trophy.He earned those going up against
the likes of Rocket Richard,Gordie Howe, and Boom Boom Geofrion as the
other right wingers of the era(inarguably the greatest era for right wing in
history).

However history doesn't seem to have been as kind and when greatest players of alltime lists are made he is ranked way too low.This is a guy that beat out
Gordie Howe a couple of times on all star teams and once for the Hart Trophy
and did so when Howe was in his prime.

So on the basis of how he is remembered now no question the most underrated
and forgotten player in history.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
All time? Don't know, haven't been around for all time, but of more recent vintage, Michel Goulet, Esa Tikanen and Ron Francis.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Hadn't considered Bathgate and really should have. I'm going with Jean-Claude Tremblay.

He had the misfortune of playing the best years of his NHL career in an era when there was only one d-man in the whole league, it seems. Guy named Orr from Parry Sound.

Overlooked even by the Habs, who have not seen fit to mention him in their Hall of Fame. He wasn't a guy who had a lot to do with the media so he's not necessarily fondly remembered by old time scribes.

The guy could kill penalties all by himself. Great skater and wonderful stickhandler. If he didn't want to let go of the puck, nobady else got it. He was also a wizard with the stick, not for inflicting physical damage, let's face it he wasn't too good at laying on the body, but to take the puck off pretty much anyone coming in on him with it.

If Bobby Hull gave some legitimacy to the WHA outside Quebec, Tremblay did the same for the Nordiques whan he jumped from the Habs. Come to think of it, this might have something to do with the Habs not recognizing his years with them.

Some guy named Ivanans now wears the number 3.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
pei fan said:
Nice to see a very knowledgable fan.
In his day Bathgate was recognized plenty as is attested by his 1st team
and 2nd team all stars and Hart trophy.He earned those going up against
the likes of Rocket Richard,Gordie Howe, and Boom Boom Geofrion as the
other right wingers of the era(inarguably the greatest era for right wing in
history).

However history doesn't seem to have been as kind and when greatest players of alltime lists are made he is ranked way too low.This is a guy that beat out
Gordie Howe a couple of times on all star teams and once for the Hart Trophy
and did so when Howe was in his prime.

So on the basis of how he is remembered now no question the most underrated
and forgotten player in history.
Agree wholeheartedly. bathgate played in the shadow of some grear right wings. A close second is Ed litzenberger another right wing of that era who payed on some bad blackhawk teams but finished in the top 6 scoring 3 straight years. this is in the 50's when 30 goals was a major accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->