MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Balk said:
Ans: Colin Paterson

Assess the accuracy of this statment.

Where does this answer come from??????

Terrific defensive forward in the late 1980s, probably comparable to a guy like Brian Skrudland in terms of ability but had his career ruined by injuries. Excellent on the 1989 Flames championship team. Didn't get as much recognition as he deserved because he was never healthy and only played 70+ games in a season once. Probably under-rated (as are all non-HHOF players from the 80s), but I wouldn't call him one of the more under-rated guys of all time.

Most under-rated player of all time is probably Andy Bathgate, who was top-5 in scoring something like 10 consecutive years, but isn't remembered on nearly the level of his peers.

jb**

Battochio30 said:
1 for Brian Propp!
I was going to say the same thing along with Mark Howe, Tim Kerr and Mike Gartner, Steve larmer

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
budscweizer16 said:
Ron Francis

Seconded, especially after watching the local special on the 1991-92 Penguins Stanley Cup victory. After Adam Graves broke Mario Lemieux's hard, Ronnie carried the Pens through their victory over the Rangers. The team was unhappy when popular John Cullen was traded away, but it sounds like Francis won them over with his attitude and his play.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
7 characteristics of an underrated player according to Bill James ( changed from baseball to hockey:

1- Players who are great at one thing but below average at everything else (i.e. Dino Ciccarelli) are overrated; players who are very good at everything but great at nothing (i.e. Rob Brind`amour) are underrated.

2- Players who are lucky to play on championship teams (i.e. Kevin Lowe) are overrated; players who are stuck on weak teams (i.e. Charlie Simmer) are underrated.

3- Players who are charismatic and quoteable (i.e. Brett Hull) are overrated; players who are quiet and modest are underrated. (A better example is in the NFL where Randy Moss and Terrell Owens get lots of press while Marvin Harrison gets little despite being just as good a receiver.)

4- Players on teams in high-profile hockey cities (i.e. Wendel Clark) tend to be overrated; players in teams in non-hockey hotbed cities (i.e. Ron Francis) tend to be underrated.

5- Players whose strengths lie in undocumented aspects of the game like leadership or clutch play (i.e. John Tonelli) are underrated.

6- Defensive players in offensive eras (i.e. Brad McCrimmon) and scorers in defensive eras (i.e. Patrik Elias) are underrated.

7- Players who bounce around from team to team (i.e. Claude Lemieux) tend to be underrated; players who play with the same team for all or most of their career (i.e. Bill Barber) tend to be overrated

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
reckoning said:
7 characteristics of an underrated player according to Bill James ( changed from baseball to hockey:

1- Players who are great at one thing but below average at everything else (i.e. Dino Ciccarelli) are overrated; players who are very good at everything but great at nothing (i.e. Rob Brind`amour) are underrated.

2- Players who are lucky to play on championship teams (i.e. Kevin Lowe) are overrated; players who are stuck on weak teams (i.e. Charlie Simmer) are underrated.

3- Players who are charismatic and quoteable (i.e. Brett Hull) are overrated; players who are quiet and modest are underrated. (A better example is in the NFL where Randy Moss and Terrell Owens get lots of press while Marvin Harrison gets little despite being just as good a receiver.)

4- Players on teams in high-profile hockey cities (i.e. Wendel Clark) tend to be overrated; players in teams in non-hockey hotbed cities (i.e. Ron Francis) tend to be underrated.

5- Players whose strengths lie in undocumented aspects of the game like leadership or clutch play (i.e. John Tonelli) are underrated.

6- Defensive players in offensive eras (i.e. Brad McCrimmon) and scorers in defensive eras (i.e. Patrik Elias) are underrated.

7- Players who bounce around from team to team (i.e. Claude Lemieux) tend to be underrated; players who play with the same team for all or most of their career (i.e. Bill Barber) tend to be overrated

Thanks for typing up this list! I agree with all the points, especially the first two. Reckoning, the examples you chose here were all pretty good, particularly Simmer, Brind'Amour and McCrimmon (surprisingly, he's top ten all-time in plus/minus).

I agree with MS; Andy Bathgate was the first player I thought of. How many players can say they were a top five scorer nine years in a row? Plus he won the Hart when he was up against Howe, Beliveau, Plante, etc.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For me its Jacques Lemaire. No awards as a player and not even an all star selection, yet so important to his team winning. Also Teppo Numminen and Reed Larson come to mind.

lemieux32*

I have no idea how anyone can say Kevin Lowe was overrated.

That being said my vote is for Claude Lemieux. A great checking forward, five 30+ goal seasons, one 40 goal season, nine 25+ seasons, huge in the playoffs (3rd in gwg), scored more then 10 goals during three Stanley Cup winning runs while shutting down the oppositions top scorer in every series in at least one of those. Plyed a physical game. What more can you ask for.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
lemieux32 said:
I have no idea how anyone can say Kevin Lowe was overrated.

When TSN was touting him as the best defenseman currently eligible for the Hall, that isn't in was a joke.

Lowe was a good NHL defenseman, certainly not Hall of Fame calibre, and not close to being the best not in the Hall.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I'd say that Kerr and Gartner were overrated.

Wow....a bit surprised that you say Kerr was overrated.....I lean the other way on that. Mark Howe is definitely underrated IMO (but no....he should not have won the Norris over Langway)

lemieux32*

John Flyers Fan said:
When TSN was touting him as the best defenseman currently eligible for the Hall, that isn't in was a joke.

Lowe was a good NHL defenseman, certainly not Hall of Fame calibre, and not close to being the best not in the Hall.

He was one of , if not the, best defensive defenseman in the biggest offensive era in hockey. If he played in the late 90's people would be singing his praises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad