Most underrated/overrated prospects on HFBOARDS?

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Come on guys, this is HF we're talking about.

Overrated: All NHL prospects
Underrated: Current roster players

I wouldn't trade (insert prospect) for (insert player) because one day if the stars align (insert prospect) might become as good as (insert player) and he's younger!

:handclap: most accurate appraisal i've ever read here

CH Wizard

Overrated: Luc Bourdon!!! (top 2 dman? lmao...2nd pairing dman at best)

Underrated: Slava Trukhno (Awesome speed and all around skills...will do so fine) or Patty O'Sully

Geese_Howard*

Come on guys, this is HF we're talking about.

Overrated: All NHL prospects
Underrated: Current roster players

I wouldn't trade (insert prospect) for (insert player) because one day if the stars align (insert prospect) might become as good as (insert player) and he's younger!

:clap:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I believe that T.J. Oshie is under rated because I believe that he will be a top line talent in the NHL and I never hear any talk what so ever.

I was wondering if John Tavares was considered a prospect because I have already heard talk about him being a generational talent. If he is then he is being overrated because although he is exceptional I do not believe he is generational.

45 goals in the O for a 15 year old is no mean feat. Tavares is gonna be some kind of sniper, and he had some acute vision when I saw him play at the under-18s to boot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The most overrated prospect around here is Evgeny Malkin.

He is quite easily, the most overrated prospect ever to be mentioned on these boards.

We may as well burn every tape in the NHL offices because the way you guys talk about Malkin, he is already better than Gretzky and Lemieux combined. Erase every name on the cup and write MALKIN on it because hockey will begin and end with this guy....

Honestly, if he score sless than 150 points in his opening season, I will consider him to be below expectations taking into account what I've read from you people.

I see someone has been taking note of "MALKIN IS GOD!!!"'s subtle contributions :sarcasm: . A lot of people get worked up about Malkin because he's got virtually no flaws in his game, and excels at nearly everything. A 19 year old, 6'4" 215lb pivot who tore the second-best league in the world a new corn-hole offensively, whilst acting as a defensive stalwart and constant threat on the PK is something to get excited about. The big russkie will net 80+ points next season and play an outstanding overall game.

The "Malkin = Lemieux" comments are getting tiresome, I'll admit. But no current prospect deserves these lofty comparisons more than Malkin.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Overrated: Zach Parise. Okay, I was on the bandwagon too when his draft year came around, and I was pissed that Mike Smith picked Brent Seabrook instead of him at the time (feeling kind of silly about that now), but I don't see him becoming much more than a 2nd liner. Which isn't a bad thing for a first rounder, but its nowhere near what he was hyped as.

Underrated: Cam Barker. I really hate to toot my own horn, but this guy gets no press at all. I sort of expect that to change this year as the #1 defenseman in Norfolk.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I'm only going to comment on the prospects for my team, as I have seen them much more often:

Chicago Blackhawks:

Overrated: David Bolland
Underrated: Jack Skille

Bolland is very smart, and has great hands. But he isn't aggressive in the offensive zone, doesn't create space, and can't outskate anyone on the ice. That combined with his stature means to me he will struggle in the NHL as a scoring center/winger.

Could he make it? Absolutely. But I think his London Numbers will not be indicative of his NHL play.

Jack Skille, on the other hand, was our best forward prospect at camp- bar none (including Toews). He has explosive wheels- maybe not the greatest top end speed, but he goes from standing still to flying up the ice in two strides. That combined with his willinginess to play when it gets rough, and with his big shot has NHL power forward written all over it.

He has some issues to work on, like lower leg strength/staying strong on the puck.

Who he reminds me of (i'm not saying he will be this good) is a young Jarome Iginla. Someone with a huge shot, great burst, and willing to do dirty work (hit/take a hit, etc).

We'll see if he has Iginla's ridiculous work ethic (which is what it would take to get anywhere near that good)- but the Billy Guerin comparison's were not off, the kid is a player.

I wanted Kopitar with that pick. When Brule Fell, I was irked that Tallon didn't attempt to trade up with MTL to get him.

After seeing Skille's development in camp this season- I think he was absolutely the right pick. He is what we hoped Mark Bell would be, IMO.

-fullmetalninja

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If Parise bulks up and becomes stronger there is going to be alot of people eating crow in this thread. Thats the only reason why he didn't produce at a scary pace this past year.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
If you think Malkin is overrated, you simply don't understand hockey. Just because one or two people go around saying Malkin = Lemieux or whatever doesn't mean anything.

I have a feeling that most of these people saying Malkin's overrated were shot down when they made trade proposals for him and now are jaded.

Anyway, definitely feel Noah Welch is underrated but I wouldn't say he'll be better than Whitney at all. He's a much more solid player in his own end at this point, but he's also a year older than Whitney and doesn't have nearly as much talent. In fact, I'd argue Whitney's underrated too. He's not Phaneuf but he does deserve mention among the tier tight below Dion with guys like Shea Weber and the like.

I'd also say Robbie Schremp and Phil Kessel are becoming very underrated here. One more underrated guy is TJ Oshie. I saw someone call him a third-liner in another thread. Simply ridiculous.

As for overrated, Carey Price, Alex Radulov, Jonathan Toews and Braydon Coburn all come to mind.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Most overrated: id like to say Malkin but since he hasn't even had a chance to play at NHL lvl it would make no sence to value him.
So i will go with JASON SPEZZA
I don't see why some people mention him among the crosbys and Ovechkins.
flame away

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Overrated: Pogge by leaf fans

Underrated: Pogge by all other teams fans

CH Wizard

Most overrated: id like to say Malkin but since he hasn't even had a chance to play at NHL lvl it would make no sence to value him.
So i will go with JASON SPEZZA
I don't see why some people mention him among the crosbys and Ovechkins.
flame away

Since when is Spezza a prospect?

AwaKe

Jul 22, 2006
Over-rated : Benoit Pouliot, Bobby Ryan, Travis Zajac

Under-rated : Robert Nilsson, Ryan Potulny, T.J. Oshie, Lauri Tukonen

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
No mention of Cam Ward ??

This guy is grossly overrated around here...

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
No mention of Cam Ward ??

This guy is grossly overrated around here...

I'd agree with that. He did perform in the playoffs and that counts for a lot, but he was not good by any stretch in the regular season. The descrepancy is siginificant enough to believe his playoff performance was a fluke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->