Most Under-Rated Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Padawan said:
Yes he has. He was selected as the best forward in Karjala Cup about a year ago. He has shown that he can score points and play well in the international level also. Last season he didn't make the WC team but was close of getting a roster spot. This season he hasn't played that well but on the other hand, he has played much in the SM-Liiga. He was tired before the Rosno Cup already and with OJ being there, he couldn't get a place in the two top lines. If you want the get the best out of Immonen, you should let him play in an offensive line. He isn't that great in a checking and defensive role. He's no grinder at all.

I didn't see him being that close to a roster spot. I mean, we did have 6 guys, who can play center. O. Jokinen, S. Koivu, M. Koivu, N. Kapanen, T. Ruutu and Riku Hahl. The next one on the line for center spot would have been Jari Viuhkola, who can also play good defense. We did have offensive centers, meaning that Immonen wasn't even close.

Didn't remember that Karjala Cup HM. My mistake, I apologize. But I won't change my opinion on that matter, though I'll take it down a notch.

It's true, that he's no grinder. And that'll be his downfall. I'm not really that confident, that any coach would give Immonen the center spot on either topline, before he has played on the lower lines to show, that he can play at the top-level in the NHL. A coach, who doesn't want to give opponent's big leverage, won't put Immonen on the ice with the only purpose of preventing the opposition to score a goal.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
John Flyers Fan said:
Not that I was able to watch the game last night, but I still think he's under-rated and equal to Zach Parise.
Richards is not as good offensivly as Parise....I don't even see your argument here.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
Richards is not as good offensivly as Parise....I don't even see your argument here.

He's very close, IMO.

He's not as smooth but makes things happen nonetheless. I think their offensive contribution could end up looking similar.

They are both definitly among my favorite prospects.

CH Wizard

I forgot to mention Zakharov.

I don't know why this guy is so underrated.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
He's very close, IMO.

He's not as smooth but makes things happen nonetheless. I think their offensive contribution could end up looking similar.

They are both definitly among my favorite prospects.
Not saying the skills are all that different but what Parise has in hockey sense seperates the two by a good margin. I am a fan of Richards but when people start saying he is Parise's equal...then I step in.

X-SHARKIE

Steve Bernier.

This guy gets no rep and Canada has overlooked him completely in the past two years, yet he's a monster. He's huge at 6-2 230 he uses his size to his advantage, has high real hits, he also skates very well for a man his size and has come along way since being drafted.

His two way play is extremely improved since he was 17, he also has great offensive skills, he's a sniper yet he's a great playmaker, he can do it all.

People might not talk about him because his numbers drop but his play is really coming along and he's devoloping extremely well.

He's going to be a very good powerforward who scores in the NHL.

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
Steve Bernier.

This guy gets no rep and Canada has overlooked him completely in the past two years, yet he's a monster. He's huge at 6-2 230 he uses his size to his advantage, has high real hits, he also skates very well for a man his size and has come along way since being drafted.

His two way play is extremely improved since he was 17, he also has great offensive skills, he's a sniper yet he's a great playmaker, he can do it all.

People might not talk about him because his numbers drop but his play is really coming along and he's devoloping extremely well.

He's going to be a very good powerforward who scores in the NHL.
Do you know why he's been cut that last couple years from our national team?

:dunno:

Roger's Pancreas*

Forget Richards for one second, he's the captain of team Canada. Ryan Potulny isn't mentioned by anyone asides from Flyers' fans and Minnesota Golden Gophers' fans. Most people says he gets his goals from being in the right place at the right time, I say he puts himself there and dictates the plays around him. (not in the captain sense mind you)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:

.... lets try this again

Neither are overly fast, but get to where they need to be.
Neither has a great shot, but manage to find ways to put the puck in the net.
Neither are big, but they're big enough

Both are excellent playmakers.
Both have great hockey sense.
Both are winners.

The big difference, one had a dad that played in the NHL, the other did not.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Leafaholix said:
Do you know why he's been cut that last couple years from our national team?

:dunno:

Because he's enigmatic. I'd be afraid he's too high maintenance for a short tournament if I didn't know him well and knew exactly how to get the best out of him.

His decision making is subpar.

I'm not surprised he hasn't made it for such events.

This guy needs linemates with whom he clicks perectly and a coach who has the patience and wits to get the best out of him. If he ever figures it out, he'll be something half way between Leclair and Bertuzzi.

Simply put, he is worth more as a prospect than as a short tournament player.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I'd take Parise over Richards by a hair. Depending on where you stand, Jeff Carter is very underrated as well as Voloshenko and Hannu Toivonen.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
I'd like somebody to prove to me that anybody mentioned in this thread is under- or over-rated relative to anybody else.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
I think the most underrated prospect is Ryan Getzlaf. This guy is a tremendous passer, a decent skater and he has pretty good hands.

Heimy

Feb 28, 2002
I was just here
Visit site
silver_made said:
for florida:

john hecimovic (264th overall in '03)
martin tuma (162nd overall in '03)

You damn spanky silver_made! And I'll add Vince Bellissimo (158th overall in '02.) All three are 2nd day picks and I'd wager all three work their way into the NHL.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Legionnaire said:
What is the sound of one hand clapping, Master?
If the sound could be manifested electronically, would it be a grown man named "Stan" trying in vain to suggest through several posts over the past week that the emperor has no clothes, that we're really not getting anywhere with subjective opinions?

Eh, I'm thinking of taking the blue pill because it's so much easier to fit in that way...

Stan (post-blue pill): I like Richards, but subjectively (key word here) I can't really say if he's underrated. He's undersized physically, but his numbers - which is the bathing suit to the SI model on these boards - is a string bikini. Furthermore, I am too close to the Flyer board to give an objective subjective answer. I'll let somebody who isn't more subjectively intimate with the Flyers prospects provide the subjective opinion.

(For the record, I still like reading this thread. I like reading what people think about things.)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Noah ****ing Welch

Tomas Duba is pretty badly underrated too. All the results and potential of Lundqvist, none of the hype.

I agree Duba's underrated but he isnt "all" of Lundqvist, he's only had one great year, compared to Lundqvist's two+ and is a bit older. Another Lundqvist in the making? Maybe but not the same.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Buffalo Sabres round 8 #241 overall 2002 NHL Entry Draft
Are you kidding, Dennis Wideman as an 8th rounder!?! Buffalo STOLE Wideman with that pick. I watched Wideman play in london and he is lighting up the AHL in his rookie year. Nice pick!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Noah ****ing Welch

Tomas Duba is pretty badly underrated too. All the results and potential of Lundqvist, none of the hype.
One decent year in the Czech league is all the results of Lundqvist?(Considering that his numbers were worse than 40 year old Petr Briza, I don't know how good they really were)

Since I would surmise that the Swedish Elite League is a better league with better players and Lundqvist has performed at a higher level longer, I have to really disagree with the Duba comparison.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
One good year?

I'd say two.

2002-03 Saipa 9-17-5 3 SO 2.00 GAA (I don't know his SV%)
2003-04 Znojemsti Orli 27-17-3 4 SO 2.41 GAA .927 SV%

Saipa finished 11th out of 13 in 2002-03 and Duba's back-up went 1-10 with Znojemsti. I don't know his stats from this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad