Most uncommon thing ever happened in hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I liked Marc Bergevin's own goal while with the Blues a few years back. There's a cross ice dump in and he just catches it, realizes he's holding onto the puck so he throws it... right past his goalie. :D

Claypool_*

Didn't the Ducks mascot try to jump through a ring of fire and fail miserably?

Of the handful of games I've attended I remember a puck was shot out of play and Sebastian Caron caught it while siting in the locker room ally. He didn't even have to get up, just came right to him. :)

Minibus 19

Jul 15, 2005
Hull
"Missing" Link Gaetz has done some "interesting" things over the years. This former enforcer
low point came in 1993, when he was arrested for breaking into his old roommate's apartment, stealing his television, and urinating on his bed. Said the victim of the crime, "I came home and the television was gone and there was urine in my bed. The mark of Link."

He has also been kicked out of one of his team because he threw his skate at his coach's head.

Link has had a strange and varied career. Born October 2, 1968, he was originally drafted by the Minnesota North Stars, whose general manager Lou Nanne once said, "in the first round we drafted Mike Modano to protect the franchise, in the second round we drafted Link to protect Mike, and in the third round we should've drafted a lawyer to protect Link." He appeared in 17 games over two seasons with the North Stars, and was then selected by the Sharks in the expansion draft. (Sharks' scout Chuck Grillo referred to Link as "one of the meanest kids living.")

Link Gaetz Bio

The freakiest thing I've seen in an Hockey game was 5 or 6 years ago in the Quebec Semi Professional Hockey League. The Joliette Blizzard was playing the Asbestos Aztecs in a regular season game. After a few fights on the ice, a drunk fan threw his glass of beer at the Joliette players, then, the 20 players jumped in the crowd and started hitting the fans with their sticks, their skates and wathever they could find. The fans took a pretty bad beating until the Aztecs players threw bundles of sticks to the crowd so they could defend themselves. I was there and I could thell you this was friggin ugly, it took a dozen policemen to put an end to this!! After this game there has always been a few police behind the visitors bench.

In an other Aztecs game, after an awesome fight, both guys where kicked out of the game, and you could see them running at each other all over the place, untill they finally made it to the arena's bar and continued their brawl untill the police put an end to it.

Pancake Repairman

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa, ONT
Back in the day (80's, was it?) when the Bruins were playing the Rangers and a fight broke out. Don't remember what caused the incident, but several Bruins ended up climbing over the boards and starting laying some smackdown on the fans.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Zamboni falling through the ice in San Jose.

I seem to remember a playoff game that was delayed because of fog in the arena, but I can't remember the exact details. Anyone help out here?

Goalies scoring is always a hoot.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
The streaker from the Flames game is actually a good buddy of mine. He was taking Professional Golf Management at LCC in Lethbridge, Alta. at the time of the incident and had classes with a roommate or two of mine.

He was up in Calgary at the game with some other buddies and decided to streak as a dare, there was money on the line, but needless to say it didn't go quite as planned.

He was a rebel back in the day, but all good things come to an end and this guy is now married and working as a golf pro in Banff, Alta. at one of the nicest courses in Canada. The ball and chain has officially capped his days of streaking at NHL games and he is apparently looking forward to fatherhood :biglaugh:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The details are very scetchy because I was probably about 5 years old. It was a long time ago, maybe G Wally remembers.

The Winnipeg Jets were playing in Boston, it was an afternoon game - probably in the mid 80's. Some drunk fan jumped over the glass and started running towards the ref when a linesman saw it and skated over, absolutely crushed the guy with a bodycheck.

I don't know if he was knocked out, but he was definitely down for the count.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
I don't remember the player' s name but I'm sure a Kings fan will help me out:

A Kings player loses his stick, then gets hooked by a player on the opposing team, rips the guy's stick away, uses it for a while and goes back to his own bench for a change (while still holding the opposing player's stick). The guy whose stick he stole chases the Kings' player just as he's about to change and punches him in the back of the head, earning a penalty for his troubles. He really complained to the ref about that one. I believe the Kings scored on the ensuing PP. :handclap:

Oh, yeah, I forgot:

When the Ducks first came into the NHL, on their TV broadcasts every time a Duck would score, an animated Tinkerbell would fly in and tap the scorer with her magic wand, sending a shower of sparks everywhere. No lie.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
grapeshine said:
Zamboni falling through the ice in San Jose.

I seem to remember a playoff game that was delayed because of fog in the arena, but I can't remember the exact details. Anyone help out here?

Goalies scoring is always a hoot.

It was at Boston Garden in a playoff game, I believe and the weather was real hot in Boston. Can't remember who they were playing though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Islanders vs. Rockies: on a delayed penalty Rob Ramage sends a drop pass the length on the ice into Colorado's net. Billy Smith gets credit for the goal. The Rockies win the game though.

fischer8

Jul 9, 2004
I don't remember much about it, but didn't "Sharkie" get stuck in the rafters before a San Jose/Detroit game? He was supposed to be lowered to the ice and something got messed up and delayed the game for 20 minutes.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
santiclaws said:
I don't remember the player' s name but I'm sure a Kings fan will help me out:

A Kings player loses his stick, then gets hooked by a player on the opposing team, rips the guy's stick away, uses it for a while and goes back to his own bench for a change (while still holding the opposing player's stick). The guy whose stick he stole chases the Kings' player just as he's about to change and punches him in the back of the head, earning a penalty for his troubles. He really complained to the ref about that one. I believe the Kings scored on the ensuing PP. .

This one makes me think about Fleury. While as a Ranger something about similar happened to him. After beeing hooked by a player, he took this player's stick, go back to his bench (with the player still folowing him) and broke it in front of him. Or that time when he gave us his beautiful chicken dance 'cause a player didn't want to fight him or something like that.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hasbro said:
Islanders vs. Rockies: on a delayed penalty Rob Ramage sends a drop pass the length on the ice into Colorado's net. Billy Smith gets credit for the goal. The Rockies win the game though.
Oates did that while with Anaheim and Brendan Shanahan (who was going to get whistled for the penalty) got the goal.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
santiclaws said:
It was at Boston Garden in a playoff game, I believe and the weather was real hot in Boston. Can't remember who they were playing though.

I want to say Montreal, but I'm not 100% about it.

I think the '03 AHL Philadelphia/Binghampton brawl was crazy on its own, but Neil Little's superman impression took it to a new level of insanity.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Minibus 19 said:
"Missing" Link Gaetz has done some "interesting" things over the years. This former enforcer

He has also been kicked out of one of his team because he threw his skate at his coach's head.

Link Gaetz Bio

The freakiest thing I've seen in an Hockey game was 5 or 6 years ago in the Quebec Semi Professional Hockey League. The Joliette Blizzard was playing the Asbestos Aztecs in a regular season game. After a few fights on the ice, a drunk fan threw his glass of beer at the Joliette players, then, the 20 players jumped in the crowd and started hitting the fans with their sticks, their skates and wathever they could find. The fans took a pretty bad beating until the Aztecs players threw bundles of sticks to the crowd so they could defend themselves. I was there and I could thell you this was friggin ugly, it took a dozen policemen to put an end to this!! After this game there has always been a few police behind the visitors bench.

In an other Aztecs game, after an awesome fight, both guys where kicked out of the game, and you could see them running at each other all over the place, untill they finally made it to the arena's bar and continued their brawl untill the police put an end to it.

Swedish Aftonbladet had a pretty long interview with Link Gaetz a while back, maybe a year or so. He was still pretty shaken up from the car accident. I think he still had problems with his left leg or something. He gets paid 500 usd for every fight he gets into.

There are pictures of him at this link:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,447445,00.html

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There was an article in ESPN the Mag about Link a year or two ago, mostly old stories and talking about his life in the lower league.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How about Mike Milbury, as a player with the Bruins, beating a fan in the stands at Madison Square Garden with the fan's own shoe? :yo:

"Dec. 23, 1979 — Boston Bruins forward Stan Jonathan was hit in the face by an object thrown by a fan, and right wing Terry O'Reilly was harassed by a stick-wielding fan at the end of a 4-3 victory at the New York Rangers. Several Boston players, including O'Reilly and Mike Milbury, went into the stands to fight with spectators. Milbury removed a shoe from a fan and beat him with it."

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
When Dale Hunter's stick got stuck in the boards, he went to steal some goalies stick and tried to play with it. The ref stopped the game though immediately.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I saw Robert Svehla with the Leafs get a penalty for playing with two sticks.

He picked up the stick of a teammate, and then I guess wasn't thinking when the puck came along the boards towards him, as he started stickhandling the puck between the blades of the two sticks, one in each hand.

Bob Cole: "Now that's something you won't see for another decade."

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
The unfortunate incident in which Marian Hossa took a shot right as Bryan Berard tripped, ending up with Hossa's stick nearly blinding Berard

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Forgot about this one: 13 goal game for the Flames about 8 years back now against the Sharks.They scored 7 goals, got the goalie(Irbe?) pulled, scored 5 goals on the backup(Hackett?)and got him pulled too. Irbe ended up finishing the game after all. Final score was 13-1.

There was also again where Sergei Fedorov scored all 5 goals for the Wings in a 5-4 win over Washinton(?)

Believe it or not, in the newspaper score column, where they usually have tiny team logos, They Had Fedorov's name and pic

it read

Fedorov 5
Washington 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad