Most surprising players with NMC, NTC

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I suppose he got it because there were other teams interested and Lou gave to him to ward off others as well as respect for a player who's done great service for many years. Thing is, when players reach his age they sometimes value security more than money. They do not want to uproot their family, move kids' schools etc and that is more important than being a few hundred thousands more

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
It isn't necessarily surprising that he has one, but the fact that Bergevin apparently had such little leverage in his negotiation with Price that he not only gave him 8 years at 10.5 million, he also gave him a NMC over those 8 years

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It isn't necessarily surprising that he has one, but the fact that Bergevin apparently had such little leverage in his negotiation with Price that he not only gave him 8 years at 10.5 million, he also gave him a NMC over those 8 years

I'm not that shocked that Price got a NMC, I am surprised that they made the NMC effective immediately (as in, before the new contract even came into effect). That's what happens when you rely on goaltending though.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Cam ward and Chris Kunitz with the hawks. Only one year deals and I’m guessing they would wave to go to a contender.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Actually, this was given mostly for star players. But there also some players, that may surprise you.

For example Valtteri Filppula. How did he came to this insurance?

The answer is probably as simple as it was important to him, and he left money on the table in order to get it.

'You can pay me less, but I won't be as valuable to you as a manageable asset down the road.'

Seems fair.

I'm not that shocked that Price got a NMC, I am surprised that they made the NMC effective immediately (as in, before the new contract even came into effect). That's what happens when you rely on goaltending though.

Pretty common practice, especially for those franchise player contracts.

Usually the only time there's a wait for the NTC to kick in is when there are still RFA years, a la Carter, Subban, and Myers.

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

If Price didn't get the NMC included effectively. Habs would technically be able to trade him anywhere before to the contact kicking in, and also the team acquiring him would be able to void the NMC.

FYI any sort of NMC/NTC can only cover UFA years.. Subban was given a NMC on his 8 year deal with MTL, but he first 2 years of the year were RFA, and hance Mtl was able to trade him. And now the Preds voided Subban NMC.

Having the NMC effective immediately was likely the easiest part of making the deal.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
NMC:
Brad Richardson
Brandon Dubinsky

NTC:
Michael Frolik
Michael Stone
Marcus Kruger
Carl Soderberg

Also, what the hell is wrong with Holland? Detroit NTC's: Abdelkader, Daley, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Green, Helm, Kronwall, Nielsen, Nyquist & Vanek.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yzerman gave those things away like candy. Most TB players have some sort of NTC or NMC.

I think that’s kind of why he got such good value. Having someone take a discount then flipping them to a bottom feed one year later would be something players would want to be protected from

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
NMC:
Brad Richardson
Brandon Dubinsky

NTC:
Michael Frolik
Michael Stone

Marcus Kruger
Carl Soderberg

Also, what the hell is wrong with Holland? Detroit NTC's: Abdelkader, Daley, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Green, Helm, Kronwall, Nielsen, Nyquist & Vanek.

Limited NTC's on both but yeah. 10/15 respectively.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
David Backes

Has an NMC through this season that becomes an NTC for the final 2 years

Really his contract from Sweeney has flown under the radar as crap despite being just as bad as Lucic's.

Same type of player, age, money, length, NMC and Backes has fallen off the same cliff Lucic found.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that’s kind of why he got such good value. Having someone take a discount then flipping them to a bottom feed one year later would be something players would want to be protected from
The flip side is that if anyone took less then they are not going to be that open to being traded in the future. The list would be very short of where they would be okay to go to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad