Most surprising Gold winners in the World U20 Championship history

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Coming to 1993 Kariya was also dominating college hockey at will and on his way to become the first freshman to win Hobey Baker.

Yes, Kariya was Canada's best skater at the 1993 tournament. He probably would have ripped the tournament apart had he played in 1994.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No one surprised by the first 2 Finnish gold medals?
I mean, the 1987 one isn't really a shock when you remember the history. It was a round robin tournament where both Canada and USSR (the only two teams that won back then) both got disqualified for the punch up in Piestany. I mean, its shocking that Canada and the Soviets had an entire team brawl. But, with both of those teams disqualified (with Canada tracking to win the event), it sort of removes the glamour/underdog aspect around it.

1998 was shocking considering how Canada had owned the event in recent years.

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Canada needed to win Soviets by 5 goals or more to outright win the gold in that game. The brawl started around midway through the 2nd period with Canada leading by two. I guess some could consider needing to more than double that lead as tracking to win the event but most probably don't. Soviets were already out of medal competition by that point so their disqualification didn't have any affect in the medal standings.

Was it a shock though even after establishing that they won by their own merit? Based on recent history at the time Finland played close games against both Soviets and Canada in the tournaments in the 80s so getting the right results in one of these events wasn't a huge stretch.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, the 1987 one isn't really a shock when you remember the history. It was a round robin tournament where both Canada and USSR (the only two teams that won back then) both got disqualified for the punch up in Piestany. I mean, its shocking that Canada and the Soviets had an entire team brawl. But, with both of those teams disqualified (with Canada tracking to win the event), it sort of removes the glamour/underdog aspect around it.

1998 was shocking considering how Canada had owned the event in recent years.

Finland was finishing ahead of USSR regardless of the brawl. Canada would have won bronze regardless, would have won silver with a win over the Soviets, would have won gold with a five goal margin of victory. Canada was up by two goals, so the most likely outcome is the Finland still wins gold, but given the high scoring era there was still a fair chance that Canada could outscore the Soviets by three in that one period.

I think that Finland 1987 counts as a surprising winner.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
clear favorite maybe, but only had Forsberg and Naslund as good players. Canada had more depth.
Sweden had more then two good players, when does Sweden have only two good players?

Wasn't Kenny Jonnson on that team? I'll have to go check my records.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I remember the 1993 tournament fairly well. Sweden was certainly the favourite going in, as they had the big Forsberg/Naslund/Sundstrom line, the tournament was held in Sweden, and Canada was coming off a very disappointing 6th place finish the previous year, but let's not pretend that Canada winning in 1993 was the Miracle on Ice, part 2.

As was typical in that era Canada had a very solid team with good depth at defence and forward, key returnees in Lapointe (who had played in two previous tournaments), Kariya and Wright (a very good prospect at the time), and a bunch of draft-eligible guys - some of whom were key pieces (Kariya and Pronger - the CHL defenceman of the year and a top-pairing guy on this team). Gendron was the top Q goal scorer and Rathje was the 3rd overall pick in 1992. Daigle of course was a very highly-regarded prospect and a lock for going 1st overall. This was a good team going in, and they performed well during the tournament. They of course needed an all-time great performance by Legace to beat Sweden, but in my view some of the earlier golds (1990, 1991) were more surprising given the quality of the Soviet teams those years. The 1993 Swedish team was flawed, as they lacked depth after the big top line and their defense had one notable name on it - Kenny Jonsson. Canada won these tournaments in this era largely due to their depth advantage.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I remember the 1993 tournament fairly well. Sweden was certainly the favourite going in, as they had the big Forsberg/Naslund/Sundstrom line, the tournament was held in Sweden, and Canada was coming off a very disappointing 6th place finish the previous year, but let's not pretend that Canada winning in 1993 was the Miracle on Ice, part 2.

As was typical in that era Canada had a very solid team with good depth at defence and forward, key returnees in Lapointe (who had played in two previous tournaments), Kariya and Wright (a very good prospect at the time), and a bunch of draft-eligible guys - some of whom were key pieces (Kariya and Pronger - the CHL defenceman of the year and a top-pairing guy on this team). Gendron was the top Q goal scorer and Rathje was the 3rd overall pick in 1992. Daigle of course was a very highly-regarded prospect and a lock for going 1st overall. This was a good team going in, and they performed well during the tournament. They of course needed an all-time great performance by Legace to beat Sweden, but in my view some of the earlier golds (1990, 1991) were more surprising given the quality of the Soviet teams those years. The 1993 Swedish team was flawed, as they lacked depth after the big top line and their defense had one notable name on it - Kenny Jonsson. Canada won these tournaments in this era largely due to their depth advantage.
No it wasn't the miracle on ice bit it was surely an upset Gold, Canada needed an outstanding goaltending performance from Legace to win their game against sweden and the swedes whipped every other team they faced that tournament, you play that tournament 10 times and Sweden likely wins 8 out of 10 times.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
No it wasn't the miracle on ice bit it was surely an upset Gold, Canada needed an outstanding goaltending performance from Legace to win their game against sweden and the swedes whipped every other team they faced that tournament, you play that tournament 10 times and Sweden likely wins 8 out of 10 times.

Canada did too though, largely to the same degree as Sweden. Not considering the joke of a game that was Sweden-Japan and Canada's loss to Czechoslovakia on the tournament's final day (they were already guaranteed the gold medal and obviously mailed it in...and the backup goaltender played), the two teams were clearly the class of the tournament.

Personally I don't think you're giving enough credit to the Canadian team (or, perhaps more likely, you're giving too much credit to the Swedish team). Forsberg and Naslund were obviously the two best players in the tournament, but they can't play all 60 minutes and ultimately Canada had better depth and much better goaltending. I mean, they were able to ring up 5 goals on Sweden so clearly they had offensive firepower. I definitely don't dispute this was an upset but having watched the game at the time and rewatching it a few years ago, I never saw Sweden as some invincible or unbeatable team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada did too though, largely to the same degree as Sweden. Not considering the joke of a game that was Sweden-Japan and Canada's loss to Czechoslovakia on the tournament's final day (they were already guaranteed the gold medal and obviously mailed it in...and the backup goaltender played), the two teams were clearly the class of the tournament.

Personally I don't think you're giving enough credit to the Canadian team (or, perhaps more likely, you're giving too much credit to the Swedish team). Forsberg and Naslund were obviously the two best players in the tournament, but they can't play all 60 minutes and ultimately Canada had better depth and much better goaltending. I mean, they were able to ring up 5 goals on Sweden so clearly they had offensive firepower. I definitely don't dispute this was an upset but having watched the game at the time and rewatching it a few years ago, I never saw Sweden as some invincible or unbeatable team.
I loved that 1993 team and they are probably my all time favourite team Canada junior team of all time, I could hardly not give them enough credit, they won it all. I do not disagree that Canada was a really good team.

But Sweden was looked upon as the clear favourite going into that tournament, that is my point. Was Canada good? yes. Were Sweden invincible or looked upon as invincible? no.

Were they the clear faves going in? yes

Not the biggest upset of all time at that tournament but an upset.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think that's where I stand on 93 as well... I won't go back in time but I can't think of one tourney when Canada isn't considered a medal threat? Sweden had some great upside and were probably considered the favourites... but Canada was still considered a top 3 team. It wasn't that shocking they won to me. Beautiful effort, beautiful team, beautiful story... of course. But I don't know if I consider Canada winning a gold medal an upset unless they are playing soccer. They are the bar that others try to emulate.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
EASILY Finland 2014. That roster, or at least forward group, was fairly average.
If 2014 was the first Finnish win then that's my vote... if they won it the year before that, then that is my vote.

Not because the Finn's aren't awesome but they were tied with the Czechs at that point on not winning a medal for roughly a decade (Ironically, Czechs are still going strong on that 'streak' while Finland is a favourite at these tournaments now).

I'm also pretty sure the Czechs played the Finn's in that game and had a lead going into the 3rd period and the Finn's came back and then just kept rolling. I doubt I could go back and find a lot of people thinking the Finn's would win that tourney (even in Finland).

Maybe I'm viewing this as major shockers. Eg. If one of the Top 5 doesn't win Gold in this, I'd consider that a huge upset and add it to this list. But, if one of the big 5 wins it... I wont' be shocked at all. Eg. I'm hearing the Finn team isn't as strong as usual... if they won the whole thing, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Same with Russia, US, Canada and Sweden.

Now, if the Czechs, Germans, Slovaks or Swiss (I might being missing one.. Belarus?) win it... I'll call that an upset.

Reactions: Jaska

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well... Canada winning in U20 is about the least surprising thing ever, I mean what is this discussion?

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019
I dont know. Finland winning 2014 is a much bigger upset than 1993 Canada.

Finland 2014! They was not even expected to win a bronze medal. Travel to Malmö and Travel back with a gold medal, could not be easy, but they worked it out.

Remember the final game so much, we had 6 powerplays and homeice, Finland had 2. FINLAND WON!!!
Very well done!

Reactions: FinPanda

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
1985 in Helsinki for Canada. While not traditional underdogs, Czechoslovakia, the Soviet Union and Finland all had strong teams Billington back stopped Canada. Clark was fantastic against Czechoslovakia and Billington in a 5-0 win against the Soviet team.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
2011 Russia.

Although they had 7 returnees, the team was coming off 2010’s 6th place disaster; hadn't defeated Canada since 2003; Bragin’s 1st year as coach; lost the first 2 games of the preliminary round.

Eventually made it to the medal round where Finland was defeated in OT, Sweden in a SO, then won gold against Canada by scoring 5 in the 3rd.

Reactions: bebl

Buttermilk

Dec 11, 2018
I'm also pretty sure the Czechs played the Finn's in that game and had a lead going into the 3rd period and the Finn's came back and then just kept rolling. I doubt I could go back and find a lot of people thinking the Finn's would win that tourney (even in Finland).
Yep. Czezh lead 3-1 that game but finland won 3-5. Semifinals Finland (=Teräväinen) kills Canada 5-1.

But 2014 is my answer too. Nobody expect that.

Reactions: Jaska and FinPanda

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep. Czezh lead 3-1 that game but finland won 3-5. Semifinals Finland (=Teräväinen) kills Canada 5-1.

But 2014 is my answer too. Nobody expect that.
I remember your coach used some Finnish word to describe the spirit of hockey/momentum and said it took over the team. At that point it was really surprising because Finns hadn't medalled in a decade (I hope I'm right on this) and the Junior's were really the big 4 battling it out. Now the Finn's are consistently winning at this tourney too. Made it much better all around.

It was so frustrating because our last medal was against Kessel and the US in 2005. We had the lead and I kept thinking we're finally making the Semi's... then you guys took over in the third and never looked back.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2011 Russia.

Although they had 7 returnees, the team was coming off 2010’s 6th place disaster; hadn't defeated Canada since 2003; Bragin’s 1st year as coach; lost the first 2 games of the preliminary round.

Eventually made it to the medal round where Finland was defeated in OT, Sweden in a SO, then won gold against Canada by scoring 5 in the 3rd.
It was a beautiful run! I think that's the one where the media was reporting how drunk the Russian's were after and couldn't get on the plane. I couldn't help but think that EVERY nation gets absolutely shitfaced after winning gold and that it shouldn't be being reported as a story at all after such an amazing run to the Gold. No one would've predicted 5 goals in the third against Canada.

Having said that... Russia has the most medals in history at this tourney. 2nd most Gold Medals. They have, in fact, as many gold medals (13) as the US, Sweden, Czechs and Finns do COMBINED. It's not an upset when Russia wins a Junior tournament.lol

upload_2019-12-23_11-34-50.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->