Most successful Russian team (post-USSR)?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Magnitka's title kind of got me thinking.

Which has been the most successful franchise since 1991?

It seems that there are 2 clear cut contenders:
Dinamo - 7 titles, 2 2nd places, 1 3rd place
Mettalurg - 5 titles, 3 2nd places, 6 3rd places

Teams such as AK Bars, Salavat Yulaev and Lokomotiv have good resumes, but haven't been as successful.

Dinamo has more titles, but Magnitka has been more consistent.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
When history comes into play, I'd say Dynamo tops everyone and everything. In past, they got silverware. In recent years and now, they have always been a contender for the cup with great facilities and fans & of course, a good team. Well, they got silverware in recent years as well. How can I forget that 4-3 concluded in Omsk? :shakehead

However, I am never a fan of counting cups and picking a one best team, so I would put Magnitka, Ak Bars, Salavat Yulayev and some other teams in the mix as well. Though yeah, Dynamo is the team who catches the eye after post-USSR, but not in last two or three years...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I'd say it's Magnitka. Dynamo formally has more championships, but 3 of them were won in the complete chaos of CIS championship and International League (1991-1995), and let's not forget that the dominant Znarok team of 2012-13 had assimilated the KHL finalist HC MVD some years before. And, aside from those 2 seasons, Dynamo hasn't been a true force in the KHL. Meanwhile, Metallurg has been a consistent favorite in both Superleague and the KHL.
Ak Bars used to be a go-to answer until the 2010s.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Magnitka's title kind of got me thinking.

Which has been the most successful franchise since 1991?

It seems that there are 2 clear cut contenders:
Dinamo - 7 titles, 2 2nd places, 1 3rd place
Mettalurg - 5 titles, 3 2nd places, 6 3rd places

Teams such as AK Bars, Salavat Yulaev and Lokomotiv have good resumes, but haven't been as successful.

Dinamo has more titles, but Magnitka has been more consistent.

I don't think it's a valid discussion as there were two entirely diffrent periods in that time span. you can't compare Dynamo's championships from the 90s to a Gagarin Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad