Most Respected Fighter

Phaedrus

Dec 23, 2008
dion phaneuf.......

H aha ha aha ha haa... good one. :D The question was "most respected fighter, not "most overrated defenseman." ;)

What does it mean to ask: "Who is the most respected fighter?" Is it the fighter others are hesitant to 'go' with because they will more likely than not get their arse handed to them, or is it to ask which fighter plays with the most respect (follows the code, does not play dirty, etc... you know, all those things that make MacIntyre a less effective version of Boogaard).

On both counts (arse-kicker or code-follower) I vote MacIntyre.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Players that are gun slingers know their role on the team quite well and most of them are pretty good guys. The really good ones pick their spots to help the team or make a point and they generally do not pick fights with unworthy opponents or guys who can not fight.
There is always a lot of talk about fighting. I do not like cheap shots, running players, high sticking and high hits to the head, which is doing far more to end players careers prematurely than fighting.
Most respected fighters would probably go to George Parros and DJ King.

straka91*

Players that are gun slingers know their role on the team quite well and most of them are pretty good guys. The really good ones pick their spots to help the team or make a point and they generally do not pick fights with unworthy opponents or guys who can not fight.
There is always a lot of talk about fighting. I do not like cheap shots, running players, high sticking and high hits to the head, which is doing far more to end players careers prematurely than fighting.

:handclap: Solid post.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
my thoughts exactly...there is a big place for it still (and always) which is why ALL players defend fighting because the true ones are the stand up type of guys...

as far as enforcers go i think they all seem to follow "the code" pretty well...i will say i dont ever remember parros going after anyone who was a mismatch (undersized) than him nor do i recall him dropping bombs when he has someone in a vulnerable position...i often see him patting guys on the shoulder or mouthing "good fight" after one...im sure this is the case for most of them though

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
George Parros

Shawn Thornton is a jerk off the ice...

Thornton is actually a pretty good guy to kids and those of us who are with our kids. He told me once that he can't stand it when adults pester him for pictures or autographs because a lot of them just sell the autographed stuff.

My kids and I have met him a couple of times and each time he spent a good 5 minutes joking with them while signing each of their shirts.

Kind of don't blame him about the attitude he takes. As an adult, I'm pretty well past the stage of hunting for autographs from run of the mill types.

Not saying that if I was in an elevator with Ovechkin or Crosby, I wouldn't ask for one but I certainly wouldn't stand in line to get one.

nmain3*

Jody Shelley and Ryane Clowe never seem to hit a guy when he's down or take advantage of the situation.

You mean shelly the guy who sucker punched alberts when he was not looking and better yet just got back from2 game suspension:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad