Most ready prospects from the 2011 draft?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
IMO, Larsson, Couturier, and Landeskog will all play in the NHL next year. There are always usually a few surprises that jump right in, such as a Burmistrov type player who people though might need to bulk up a year first, but it's tough to predict those guys ahead of time.

I think guys like RNH, Huberdeau, Murphy, etc. could surprise people and maybe one of them makes it next year, but it's pretty tough to tell right now.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Daniel Catenacci could be a suprise. His offensive game is still catching up to his speed, but his speed and grit is NHL ready. Very small to be a checker at the pro level, but I could see him playing the 3rd line on a NHL team while his offensive game continues to develop. He should be a late 1st rounder, early 2nd.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
What about a guy like Dougie Hamilton? Has the size and skill. Still needs more time?

I think all of Hamilton, Beaulieu, and Siemens all have the size and skill that could help them the jump next year. However, history suggests teams like to take their time with d-men moreso than forwards and it is pretty rare for a d-men drafted outside the top 3 to jump into the NHL as an 18 year old. It would take a very special player, a very desperate team, or a combination of both for it to happen this year IMO.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I think all of Hamilton, Beaulieu, and Siemens all have the size and skill that could help them the jump next year. However, history suggests teams like to take their time with d-men moreso than forwards and it is pretty rare for a d-men drafted outside the top 3 to jump into the NHL as an 18 year old. It would take a very special player, a very desperate team, or a combination of both for it to happen this year IMO.

Columbus sounds desperate enough :laugh:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
:laugh: True, you guys do need a puck mover and all around great d-men, but I think it was the right choice to wait a year with Johansen, so I think they would do the same with Hamilton despite the need for a PMD.

Yea unless he really impresses in camp (whoever we get). I think its a possibility but its slim considering we are most likely going to have Moore and Johansen on the team. Possibly Savard too.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Daniel Catenacci could be a suprise. His offensive game is still catching up to his speed, but his speed and grit is NHL ready. Very small to be a checker at the pro level, but I could see him playing the 3rd line on a NHL team while his offensive game continues to develop. He should be a late 1st rounder, early 2nd.

I'll second this...Catennacci's no wimp and his speed may allow for an easier transition to the speed. Brandon Saad is another guy, depending on situation, could easily find himself in a bottom 6 role with his size, athleticism and ability to protect the puck down low.

4Isles4*

i was watching him in the prospects game and i thought i was watching Cutuierier.....really impressed me

4Isles4*

I'll second this...Catennacci's no wimp and his speed may allow for an easier transition to the speed. Brandon Saad is another guy, depending on situation, could easily find himself in a bottom 6 role with his size, athleticism and ability to protect the puck down low.

most teams want thier rookies getting a good amount of ice time so they can develope....it would have to be top 6 IMO...for a rookie to be a keeper

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think the most obvious 3 are of course Larsson, Landeskog and Couturier. All 3 SHOULD play in the NHL next year.

There could be a few surprises though. It all depends on the teams players go to though, and that team's needs.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Next year Larsson and Couturier are really the only players I can pretty much guarantee are ready to step up next year and make an impact. There will be some other surprises and guys who play in the nhl, but no one else even Landeskog are 2011-2012 blue chip impact players.

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area

This. I've heard a lot of comparisons to him and Ryan O'Reilly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack an NHL team next year.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
no one's picking RNH? any particular reason? physical maturity?

It's gonna come down to which team picks him and how much weight he can put on all summer before camp. He definitely has the talent to step in a little light for the NHL, similar to Burmistrov this year, but he would have to really impress at camp. If Boston or the NYI pick him, I think he auto goes back to junior. If the Oilers pick him, I hope we send him back unless he is dominating the camp and is clearly ready to play as the 2C on our team, which seems a little unlikely right out of the gate. I would rather him dominate in Red Deer than play on the Oilers 3rd line.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Catenacci? Really?

Landeskog, Larsson, and Couturier are most NHL ready.

Seimens, Hamilton, Murphy, and Puempel could be surprises.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Just because some one scores a ton of points, doesnt mean they are ready for the NHL. Catenacci has world class speed at 17, he has been on the PP and PK since game 1 in the OHL. Im not saying he is as good as Couterier or RNH, but I think he could crack and NHL roster because of the way he plays... with speed, skill and grit. He has had to play his entire OHL career without ever having a drafted player on his line, and usually is stuck with alot of checking line players to protect him. This year he has played with Quesnele who has 4 goals and Findlay who was an undrafted free agent. Put him on a line with a guy like Saad for an entire year and see what he would be able to do. Its hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
Just because some one scores a ton of points, doesnt mean they are ready for the NHL. Catenacci has world class speed at 17, he has been on the PP and PK since game 1 in the OHL. Im not saying he is as good as Couterier or RNH, but I think he could crack and NHL roster because of the way he plays... with speed, skill and grit. He has had to play his entire OHL career without ever having a drafted player on his line, and usually is stuck with alot of checking line players to protect him. This year he has played with Quesnele who has 4 goals and Findlay who was an undrafted free agent. Put him on a line with a guy like Saad for an entire year and see what he would be able to do. Its hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys.

Saska Sault you are bang on! This kid is one of my favourites and will make some NHL GM look like a genious. He hasn't had anyone to play with in the Soo and yet still finding a way to put up points. If he was surrounded by some good players he would lead the OHL in points. I love how this kid and how he gives 100% every shift. I was just as passionate of Skinner last season when he too was ranked lower by Central Scouting only because of his size like Cat at 5'10. We all know how that turned out by making them look bad. They had Skinner ranked in the second round but he went 7th overall. I have said may times that Catenacci along with Landeskog are the most complete players in this draft. Catenacci's speed is second to none. His time of 14.017 at the CHL fastest skater competition also beat Michael Grabner's time at this years NHL All-Star Skills fastest time of 14.238. This kid is very strong and skilled enough to be one of the few 18 year olds to crack an NHL roster next season.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Percentage Murphy makes the NHL next year?

5%. I think for d-men it is much tougher, as they can't hide. In the case of Murphy, it will be double tough given his size. Look at Ellis - he has spent two years dominating the OHL since being drafted and should be in the AHL, but the Preds won't throw him to the wolves in the NHL. Same thing for Murphy, in particular given he needs to add strength and weight. Even the other physically developed d-men are perhaps only 1 chance in 5 (Hamilton, Siemens, Musil, Beaulieu).

Aside from the top 3, other top 10 guys will be given a look and you never know when they will physically develop enough. Guys like Strome, RNH and Huberdeau have shown enough scoring at the junior level that is they make a splash at camp, will get an 8 game trial at least, which could lead to a full-time gig, especially in the right situation.

I think guys like Puempel, Jensen, Bartschi, Jenner, and yes, Catenacci all might surprise, although odds are against them.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Landeskog, Couturier and Larsson will all be in the NHL next year for sure IMO.

I think Nugent-Hopkins will go above Couturier, but I can't see him in the NHL. Depending on the team I could see Siemens or Musil in the NHL, same with Hamilton or Murphy.

bberry

Nov 16, 2010
Musils foot speed isn't even close to NHL calibre at this point.

RNH will play in the NHL next season. What more can he do in junior? Put up 175 points next season? What good will that do him as far as development is concerned? RNH has that elite hockey sense that will keep him out of physical trouble in the NHL.

Also as stated by other posters. I wouldn't rule out Daniel Catenacci playing in the show. That kid can flat out fly. It will depend on the team that takes him and what kind of oppurtunity he'll have there but he is an all world skater already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad