most protective gloves?

pastamania

Sep 12, 2013
Boston
I recently broke my arm near the wrist, and it was a really bad compound fracture, so now I have metal plates in my arm. I can't get on the ice for a while, but I'm wondering if when I do I should invest in a pair of really good, protective gloves. Would they make a difference? And if so, any you'd recommend?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
There are too many protective gloves out there to name, you need to be more specific on what kind of protection you want and where.

If it's the wrist, consider getting a pair of wrist slash guards.

The Reebok 11K, 9K and 7K all have an extended cuff that stays with your wrist when you flex.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Healing Process

I recently broke my arm near the wrist, and it was a really bad compound fracture, so now I have metal plates in my arm. I can't get on the ice for a while, but I'm wondering if when I do I should invest in a pair of really good, protective gloves. Would they make a difference? And if so, any you'd recommend?

Let the complete healing process take place, followed by the appropriate rehab. During the rehab process discuss the question of playing hockey with your doctor and physiotherapist or sports therapist.

These medical professionals will know all the details of your injury, how it healed and the risks you face. They will guide you through rehab, evaluate your needs to play hockey again and suggest the best protective equipment and accessories.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would get some slash guards if I were you. There are a bunch of them out there, but maybe order a few and return the ones you don't like. Then you might want to check out gloves that have an open cuff so they don't knock into the slash guards. Most of the high end gloves (over $100) should have inserts for slash protection, but make sure to try them on with your elbow pads and slash guards so there aren't any gaps.

pastamania

Sep 12, 2013
Boston
Yeah, it wasn't the wrist, it was the radius+ulna, but pretty close to my wrist. Basically right outside of where the cuff of my glove ended. I'm mainly worried about all the metal that's now inside my arm because my doctor told me if I were to somehow break it again, I'd be pretty much screwed, and this is already my 2nd time breaking that arm (though it wasn't in the exact same area, and wasn't as bad the 1st time). So basically I'm wondering if gloves that go higher up my arm would be better. I will definitely get some slash guards. I also have the additional issue that I'm kind of weird with glove sizing. I have long forearms, but I'm a girl and have smaller hands. My hands fit in a size 12, but that means that my wrists are barely covered. 13 is a little roomy, but much better length-wise. According to glove sizing charts though, I should be a 14/15 :/

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
If someone else is buying your equipment (college, nice parents, etc.) or you have adequate funds, you can always try a custom glove route. Pros get messed up all the time and they get the coolest/nicest one offs made for them.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
but she's not a pro so unless she knows someone willing to help, the chances of that are slim, again take a look at those Reeboks. if those don't work, see about contacting Eagle

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Clearly probably not a pro on an online forum, but custom gloves (that fit her and maybe with a longer cuff) as you recommended with Eagle are certainly possible.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Gloves nowadays don't protect the forearms. If there's a gap between your elbow pads and your gloves, pick up some slash guards. Check the link in my previous post. Bring your elbow pads to a store, grab some slash guards, and then try on different gloves until you find something comfortable. Even better, bring your stick and a ball and try everything on then do some stick handling to make sure they are comfortable in all kinds of positions.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
After you fully heal, which is very important, get some wrist guards. I have these and they are great, you barely notice them and I have taken a slash to the wrist and, although it still hurt, I shook it off and was able to finish off the shift with a wrister and it was fine.

pastamania

Sep 12, 2013
Boston
Thanks guys, I'll check out the Reeboks next time I'm at the store, I looked online and they looked pretty great. I'll also look into the Eagles, are they really expensive to get customized?

After you fully heal, which is very important, get some wrist guards. I have these and they are great, you barely notice them and I have taken a slash to the wrist and, although it still hurt, I shook it off and was able to finish off the shift with a wrister and it was fine.

Those look good, I'll definitely get them, thanks!

I went to get a cast put on today and the doctor said everything is healing really well, none of the potential complications from that kind of injury happened, so that's some good news! And I get the cast off a week before my birthday :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->