Most productive rookie next season...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Corona-12 said:
Again, breaking his leg is just unforunate. He took an strange hit. It shouldn't effect the rest of his career.

True but remember, this came at the height of the ''Brule won't survive in the NHL'' backlash, and it was sort of funny seeing him go down after only 2 games. Didn't he suffer another injury afterwards? Regardless, he's my second favourite player from that draft.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I'm going to say Malkin takes the beatdown stick to the NHL, particularly considering who else he's going to have to play with.

bigdeal44

Dec 11, 2005
MALKIN MALKIN MALKIN
Did anyone see AO this past season???
Heres the guy that pushed for his number uno spot in the draft

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
While I think we'll have an outstanding rookie class again next season, I think its tough to bet against Malkin. Playing with Pittsburgh, Crosby at his side, I think he'll put up some monster numbers next year.
I do think we could see significant rookie contributions as well from the likes of Wolski, Brule, Radulov and the like.
Wolski showed this year he could hang with NHL'ers, and look pretty darn good in the process.
On a side note, saw him play a few times in Brampton this season, and I swear it was like I was looking at an entirely different player from years past.
I've covered Wojtek since his rookie year with the Troops, and while he always had the talent, he often seemed very...indifferent, I suppose is the right word.
This year he was like a man amongst boys. I know some will say he's only playing junior, but I've seen quite a few players come throuh the OHL, and Wojtek showed something this season that is very rare. He showed a Gretzky-eske quality of anticipating what was going to happen next, being where the puck was GOING to be, instead of just following it around.
And no, I am NOT comparing Wojtek to the Great One. ;)

It's players like Wojtek though that really do give the saying "we're not drafting the player for how they are at 18, but for what they will develop into" legitimacy.
Thing is, I thought it would take him a lot longer to develop into a player this good. He really is going to be something special (IMHO).

Edit - Sorry, changed my 4th line... I meant I DO think we'll see significant contributions. One too many. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Wolski for sure, this guy showed us what he can do in the OHL he almost caught up to Bolland and Schremp. If he didnt have the bad start he did at the beginning of the year he would have been neck and neck with them. Another guy i think that will be a great rookie next year, since everyone thinks Wolski will produce next year since his numbers in the OHL, is a guy by the name of Robbie Schremp. He will get alot of time on the PP and i can see him on the 3rd line for edmonton. With all the leadership on th oilers they will help curb this guys huge ego and i dont think he will be doing anything like what he did in the OHL like drink from the other teams water bottle!

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
LeftKinger said:
He wont win it playing for Minnesota.

Hard to say - if Minnesota acquires one more decent forward (Parrish is a favorite rumor), with Bouchard maturing, that gives the Wild Rolston, Gaborik, White, free agent, Bouchard, and O'Sullivan, i.e. 2 legit scoring lines, something the Wild have never had. The scale may be tipping in favor of the Wild becoming more of a scoring team.

O'Sullivan has surely done well at every level he's played at.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Bookman said:
Hard to say - if Minnesota acquires one more decent forward (Parrish is a favorite rumor), with Bouchard maturing, that gives the Wild Rolston, Gaborik, White, free agent, Bouchard, and O'Sullivan, i.e. 2 legit scoring lines, something the Wild have never had. The scale may be tipping in favor of the Wild becoming more of a scoring team.

O'Sullivan has surely done well at every level he's played at.

I think he will be a great NHL talent, and have a fantastic rookie year next season, but the Wild have big time problems by the name of Gaborik. He is in all likely hood going to take the Wild to arbitration as he is a restricted free agent, and then will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of '07. He knows he will make the money wherever he signs, and he has publicly stated that the defense first strategy of Lemaire, is hindering his career. Look for O'Sullivan to carry the team in the years ahead, too bad he won't have Gaborik on his wing for it.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
True but remember, this came at the height of the ''Brule won't survive in the NHL'' backlash, and it was sort of funny seeing him go down after only 2 games. Didn't he suffer another injury afterwards? Regardless, he's my second favourite player from that draft.

Didnt he had a ribs cage injury or something like that also?

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
I think Erikkson has a chance to be a 50 point player for Dallas especially if Guerin is bought out . He was a point agame guy in the AHL after Christmas last season and could play with Modano and Lets if Jokinin becomes the #2 center

digitalmonkey*

LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
You forgot -90. :sarcasm:

I said Oilers, not Leafs. Edmonton actually scores without the man-advantage so he'll get some +'s there.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Grigorenko is not coming over next season.
Hudler might land a spot, but it's to be seen if he can gain any favor with Babcock and possibly see the ice more than 5min a night.

Malkin is the obvious choice. It'd be interesting to see if Kessel is picked by the Pens if he'll get brought straight up to play with either Sid or Evgeny. Maybe have Sid on the top line and the rookies on the other. Might get interesting.

kenito

May 5, 2006
Aalborg
Malkin for sure. What about Frans Nielsen do you guys think he'll get any shifts next year in the NHL?. How many points do you think he'll make in his rookie season?? I think he will surprise alot of people and have a great rookie season but then again i'm Danish soo i have high hopes for Frans nielsen and Jannik Hansen.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
norrisnick said:
Grigorenko is not coming over next season.
Hudler might land a spot, but it's to be seen if he can gain any favor with Babcock and possibly see the ice more than 5min a night.

Malkin is the obvious choice. It'd be interesting to see if Kessel is picked by the Pens if he'll get brought straight up to play with either Sid or Evgeny. Maybe have Sid on the top line and the rookies on the other. Might get interesting.

Now that is an intriguing possiblity. Kessel on Malkin's line would make that Calder race very interesting indeed. Though I would trust in Malkin's ability in making plays on his own enough to put him comfortably in the lead despite Kessel being involved in many of the goals as well.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Corona-12 said:
I think it was a sprained ankle, but I could be mistaken, it was also before the broken leg.

Roman Hamrlik caught Brule with a clean hit and fractured his sternum in mid-October after two games... He missed six weeks, played 5 more games, and then broke his leg.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Does Alexander Semin still qualify as a rookie???? if so and I cant pick Malkin ill say Semin should have a dynamite year with ovechkin............If he doesnt qualify as a rook still then ill say another guy who will play with ovechkin who gets no love on these boards.......Eric Fehr........he should be in the NHL next year and the kid has one of the best wrist shots in the game and can snipe.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Crosby will be the most productive rookie next season, after the NHL extends his rookie period since he's only 18, and they want his name on the Calder ;) :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->