most potential points from '06 forwards...

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
since we now know where each of the top forwards are going to be playing, who do you see with the highest potential for big point seasons?

staal with crosby/malkin in pittsburgh?
kessel running the show with bergeron in boston?
backstrom and AO in washington?

thoughts?

does kessel's offense outweight staal's and/or backstrom's? or does someone else stick out for a certain reason?

i guess my question applies to the next few seasons and is more based on what you think their potential production could be for points per season.... i listed some linemates since those are the players they would possibly be teamed with once they make an NHL roster (whenever that may be)

thanx

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
3 Very impressive groups of players.

I didn't realise that Crosby moved to the wing in the WHC, so Kessel and Bergeron should fit really well together. They went out and got a piece to the puzzle.

I am most impressed and excited about what Washington did, getting a really good Center for Ovechkin. Backstrom did nothing this year but improve his stock and he has so much potential, I really look forward to these 2 connecting and putting up some big numbers.

As for Malkin and Crosby and Staal when he finally makes it to the NHL, I guess one of them will move to the wing. Mario, Jagr and Francais come to mind or at very least, Forseberg and Sakic.

Out of the 3, I think Backstrom makes Washington next year, if he decides to play in the NHL and has the biggest impact. I don't know how close Staal is, but Malkin and Crosby should also have a quick impact.

Kessel and Bergeron might have to wait a few years to play together.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The questions and talk out of Pittsburgh have Staal moving to wing. But I still am not sure if he makes that transistion well or even should do so. Some compare him to a Malkin type of player and I could never see Malkin on wing. And rolling out three lines of Crosby, Malkin and Staal is just illegal. Maguire of TSN sems to imply that he thinks that we will and should do just that:

McGuire: Penguins will be dynamic
TSN.ca Staff

6/24/2006

When you think about Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, this is an embarrassing array of riches down the middle for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

How are people going to beat these guys? How do you draw up a game plan to stop a player like Staal at 6'4" and 215 lbs.? This team will run scores up on people and it will be a dynamic thing to watch.

If they can ever add some quality defense and get a goaltending coach for Marc-Andre Fleury, the Penguins are going to be for real. And it will be very tough for whoever coaches that team. To divvy up all that ice time will be virtually impossible.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/pierre_mcguire.asp

The long and short of it is, that if Staal is on Crosby's or Malkin's wing his totals are going to be much higher than if he is the third line center. God, can you imagine that, Jordan Staal as your third line center. I can hardly even type that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think it is a bit early to predict any of this... It will be interesting to watch, but at this point in time it is very premature.

I'd have to wager that Kessel probably still has the most individual scoring talent (and offensive tools beyond assists) and should be able to demonstrate that. The only question I still have is whether or not he will be able to do anything to help anyone else on his line.

While Backstrom could conceivably put up some decent numbers in the NHL next season, I really think if he is here, the Caps will look to work in defensive responsibility first and foremost. Then after he gets that down, turn him loose. As far as production, if he plays healthy minutes on Ovey's line by the end of the season, he'd probably end up with something like 10 goals and 30 assists, and I'd be more than happy with that type of year. I'd hope for more, but really I think the Caps will move slowly with him and increase his minutes down the road and in the latter parts of the season.

As for Jaded-fan's admirable glass half full, lets at least wait until all three players put on the skates. I mean, the team wasn't able to do anything with a little Mario, a little Palffy, an aging Leclair, some Recchi and Sidney (plus no defense) what is to say 3 young kids can carry the team to a winning record now. I think that Staal, Crosby and Malkin are going to be solid NHLers (and maybe 2 of the best in the game out of the 3) but they won't be such from day one (at least definitely not in Staals case). Similarly, what is to suggest that they're ready to dominate right away where other players with solid talent levels who were NHL vets, weren't able to do it. I equate a lot of the Pens situation to a certain NFL football situation up the road from Pittsburgh. The Detroit Lions took 3 quality reciever prospects, all top draft picks, and some suggested to be some of the best in the game. You have to build something else around them. Having 3 #1 centermen might be a luxury, but I don't see how you could logically pay all 3 when you have a absolute hole at defense. Maybe Staal can play some defense. Maybe not. It will be fun to watch the 7-5, 6-3 games, but with ol' Gonch and the rest of the Ole' defensive corps up there, I wouldn't expect to be lifting the cup this next year. While today is a good day to enjoy the draft and picking up Staal, I really think in the future you need to pray that your team one, builds a new stadium or works a deal (or you'll be seeing those riches play in Kansas City or some other town), and two finds some solid defensemen who play for cheap, because in 3-4 years time when your team gets good, you'll have 16-17 million sunk down the middle on 3 players (and probably another 4-5 on MAF if he turns out to be worth anything).

Bégin is the bestest*

Derick Brassard, a great playmaker, will get a lot of points with Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev. i think Brûlé will play on the 2nd line with Picard because Nash needs more a playmaker like Brassard on his line than a player like Brûlé. Brûlé and Picard will be a terrific 2nd line for Columbus. :)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Chimaera said:
As for Jaded-fan's admirable glass half full, lets at least wait until all three players put on the skates. I mean, the team wasn't able to do anything with a little Mario, a little Palffy, an aging Leclair, some Recchi and Sidney (plus no defense) what is to say 3 young kids can carry the team to a winning record now. I think that Staal, Crosby and Malkin are going to be solid NHLers (and maybe 2 of the best in the game out of the 3) but they won't be such from day one (at least definitely not in Staals case). Similarly, what is to suggest that they're ready to dominate right away where other players with solid talent levels who were NHL vets, weren't able to do it. I equate a lot of the Pens situation to a certain NFL football situation up the road from Pittsburgh. The Detroit Lions took 3 quality reciever prospects, all top draft picks, and some suggested to be some of the best in the game. You have to build something else around them. Having 3 #1 centermen might be a luxury, but I don't see how you could logically pay all 3 when you have a absolute hole at defense. Maybe Staal can play some defense. Maybe not. It will be fun to watch the 7-5, 6-3 games, but with ol' Gonch and the rest of the Ole' defensive corps up there, I wouldn't expect to be lifting the cup this next year. While today is a good day to enjoy the draft and picking up Staal, I really think in the future you need to pray that your team one, builds a new stadium or works a deal (or you'll be seeing those riches play in Kansas City or some other town), and two finds some solid defensemen who play for cheap, because in 3-4 years time when your team gets good, you'll have 16-17 million sunk down the middle on 3 players (and probably another 4-5 on MAF if he turns out to be worth anything).

I don't know if you noticed, but the rest of Pittsburgh's picks were almost all defensemen. Those will still be far away from UFA status, (as most of them are college-bound and thus, spending a few years developing for free off the Pens' books) when the Pens are ready to compete, IMO.

justdanickoftime*

i see backstrom being a top 3 guy for the calder next year, with AO, he could have at least 60-75 points, most of them assist

AgentNaslund*

justdanickoftime said:
i see backstrom being a top 3 guy for the calder next year, with AO, he could have at least 60-75 points, most of them assist

He signed a 2 year deal with his Swedish club. He wont be in the NHL for at least 2 more years.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Pittsburg might be in a situation in 4-5 years like Colorado many years ago when they had Sundin, Forsburg and Sakic.

You basically trade one guy to help you get top flight talent back. My guess of the bunch, Malkin will be the guy delt to get a defenseman/wingers since it will be hard to have both him and Crosby together in a cap world.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Unless the Hawks make some key free agent signings Toews looks to be our most offensively talented center. If he is good on faceoffs, He might even center the #1 PP unit. He should have a decent rookie year as he should get a lot of ice time. I see him by midseason centering our top line with Ruutu on one wing and likely a free agent sniper like Samsonov or Parrish on the other.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
My prediction is Little cracks the Thrashers line-up and gets top two-line ice time and ends up being to the top point scorer this year from '06 draft class. If slips into Savard's spot with Ilya, look out (60-70 points perhaps).

Another scenario is Kulemin playing on a line with Sundin and Ponikarovsky and getting 40-50 points.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
boredmale said:
Pittsburg might be in a situation in 4-5 years like Colorado many years ago when they had Sundin, Forsburg and Sakic.

You basically trade one guy to help you get top flight talent back. My guess of the bunch, Malkin will be the guy delt to get a defenseman/wingers since it will be hard to have both him and Crosby together in a cap world.

One way or another the Pens should have the wherewithall to pay the maximum cap by then. Either here with a new arena - we almost sold out the crappy old one we have so the new revenues should enable that . . . or elsewhere with an arena that maximizes revenues.

We have seven years to evaluate the three and will I am fairly sure absent a very good offer keep the top two, trading the third. You can pretty easily keep two franchise players under a max cap despite the doom and gloom scenerios as we have seen with various teams. My guess is that Staal will end up being the odd man out if he developes into something like another Malkin. I just can not see us being so lucky that he actually hits that high though. If so though, something will have to give. We have almost a decade before we have to worry about it though, so I am pretty happy right now. The Pens could do nothing else except sign a couple of average FA's to play wing and become a very good scary as hell team a couple of years from now. Now just keep them in Pittsburgh so that my season tickets mean something and I am there when it happens.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
brassard if he ever plays a full season in the nhl. no offense to the kid, but he is the skinniest hockey player at 18 that "I" have seen. i just dont get gmdm drafting strategies. we might have a team that has 8 first rounders in the line up in a year, and at some point in the year, have all 8 out with injuries

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Behn Wilson said:
Unless the Hawks make some key free agent signings Toews looks to be our most offensively talented center. If he is good on faceoffs, He might even center the #1 PP unit. He should have a decent rookie year as he should get a lot of ice time. I see him by midseason centering our top line with Ruutu on one wing and likely a free agent sniper like Samsonov or Parrish on the other.

Is there any possibility Toews will play on the wing in Chicago? I´ve heard that the Hawks want Ruutu to play Center in the future....

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I can only see one reason why the Pens drafted Staal over Toews who is the only center that proved to play wing: Staal´s trade value might be higher than Toews.

With the Rangers in desperately need for a big firstline center I wouldn´t be shocked if a Staal - Staal trade would happen. The Pens could also fill two holes at once in a deal with the Rangers, who likely would give up Fedor Tyutin + Petr Prucha for Jordan Staal.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What about a pure Sniper like Vasyunov with Gomez or Parise? I never seen the kid play in my life so I don't know what type of players he would mesh with or what his top end potential is.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Hockey-Freak said:
Is there any possibility Toews will play on the wing in Chicago? I´ve heard that the Hawks want Ruutu to play Center in the future....

Ruutu doesn't have the play-making abilities to be a #1 center.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Call me crazy, but I see Patrik Berglund every bit as capable as Jordan Staal offensively. Now, Berglund does not have a Crosby/Malkin to help his point total...but I think the Blues got an absolute steal at the end of the 1st round...

Not touting him for the 2008/9 Calder trophy or anything....but when asking which forwards of the 2006 are offensively capable, Berglund will be in the discussion before all is said and done...

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Jackmans Domain said:
Call me crazy, but I see Patrik Berglund every bit as capable as Jordan Staal offensively. Now, Berglund does not have a Crosby/Malkin to help his point total...but I think the Blues got an absolute steal at the end of the 1st round...

Not touting him for the 2008/9 Calder trophy or anything....but when asking which forwards of the 2006 are offensively capable, Berglund will be in the discussion before all is said and done...

you're crazy

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
JackBauer said:
backstrom centering AO and Alex Semin scares me...good thing they have nobody else in their offense.

Crosby and Malkin who do you play defense against if they are on 2 different lines or on the powerplay? :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->