Most Points Scored in one Game and still a 'Minus'?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A bit obscure, but what is the most points one player has scored in one NHL game, while still ending up a 'minus' on the night? (Presumably, a game where the player in question scores a bunch of points on the PP, but gets beaten at even strength.)

For example, on November 24th, 1993, the LA Kings lost to Quebec 8-5 at Quebec Coliseum. Gretzky had 1 goal and 3 assists (4 points), and Robitaille scored 4 goals, yet both went -1.

But I'm sure there are more extreme examples in history...?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A bit obscure, but what is the most points one player has scored in one NHL game, while still ending up a 'minus' on the night? (Presumably, a game where the player in question scores a bunch of points on the PP, but gets beaten at even strength.)

For example, on November 24th, 1993, the LA Kings lost to Quebec 8-5 at Quebec Coliseum. Gretzky had 1 goal and 3 assists (4 points), and Robitaille scored 4 goals, yet both went -1.

But I'm sure there are more extreme examples in history...?

I would imagine Gretzky and Mario would be the most likely candidates. Especially Lemieux with his power play numbers.

Has to be high scoring game and no one played in more than those two.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I believe the answer is Wayne Gretzky on November 21st, 1982 - Quebec Nordiques at Edmonton Oilers Box Score — November 21, 1982 | Hockey-Reference.com

The Oilers lost 9-7 to the Nordiques. Gretzky had a hat trick and three assists, but finished -1. He had a goal and an assist on the powerplay, and 2 goals and 2 assists at ES. So he must have been on the ice for 5 ES goals against.

The three Stastny's:

5 goals, 6 assists

Peter a +5, his brothers +4 each

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I believe the answer is Wayne Gretzky on November 21st, 1982 - Quebec Nordiques at Edmonton Oilers Box Score — November 21, 1982 | Hockey-Reference.com

The Oilers lost 9-7 to the Nordiques. Gretzky had a hat trick and three assists, but finished -1. He had a goal and an assist on the powerplay, and 2 goals and 2 assists at ES. So he must have been on the ice for 5 ES goals against.

That looks like it. There have been quite a few 5 point games too, with a -4 from Randy Carlyle (5 PP points) against the 88 Flames looking like the most notable.

4 guys with 4 ES points in a game and who were a -1: Real Cloutier, Paul Coffey, Wayne Gretzky, Murray Oliver.

3 guys with 4 ES points who were a -2: Coffey, Norm Ullman, Nikolay Zherdev

It appears no one's ever had a 3ES + 1 SH point minus game.

Among the 14 4-point minus games in the playoffs, the only guys who had minus games while scoring 3 ES points are Wayne Gretzky (1982) and Bobby Orr (1971).

Reactions: kaiser matias

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That looks like it. There have been quite a few 5 point games too, with a -4 from Randy Carlyle (5 PP points) against the 88 Flames looking like the most notable.
Okay, I had to look that up to see if it was real. Wow!

On March 9th, 1988, the Flames and Jets tied 6-6. Carlyle indeed scored 5 points and went -4. That's sort of amazing.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
And the opposite... highest +/- in a game without scoring a point:

NHL Stats

Tim Horton's game (one of the two scoreless +7 games) is interesting:

Buffalo won 7-2 (all nine goals were at ES). Five Sabres were on the ice for all seven goals for and and none against - Gilbert Perrault (6 pts), Rick Martin (5 points), Rene Robert (5 points), Jim Schoenfeld (1 assist) and Tim Horton (scoreless). That's gotta be a record - five players all going +7 in a single game. (Then you had eight Sabres go -1 and, surprisingly, Don Luce was -2).

Reactions: seventieslord

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Weird I would have bet money on Mario as Gretzky had way better ESGF/ESGA ratios and R-on R-off ratios as well but the Stastny's eh?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
WJC in 2003 had the opening game for Canada against Sweden. It was an 8-2 shellacking. Here is the kicker, Sweden scored more even strength goals than Canada. Canada got 6 PP goals and 1 shorthanded. I don't know the plus minus for the players, but there would be some Canadians who were minus for sure. Probably not many who were a plus.

Here is an interesting stat, Sittler's 10 point game where the Leafs won 11-4 had Tiger Williams ending up being -2 on the night because the line which I assume he was covering (Ratelle) actually had a pretty good night out there ironically.

I know it isn't what the OP was looking for per se, but still interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad