Most overrated prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I rarely hear anything about Landeskog... Compared to RNH and Larsson he's kind of underrated

You're not looking then.

You don't think him being taken over guys like Larsson and Huberdeau would qualify him for hype? That alone makes him overrated in my eyes.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
There is one thing about hyping your own prospects, but don't downplay another to try and prove a point. Erixon was on par with the other two last year. He was a beast in the WJC and played on the World Championship team for Sweden. I think he'll end up being the best 2-way guy out of these three. But that being said, I'll take Larsson and Rundblad ahead of him.

who's downplaying anyone? I think that it's a little unfair to be comparing Larsson to guys who are older than him, though

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd definitely agree with Rundblad and Schenn being overrated. I'll also throw Landeskog into the mix.

Don't think Johansen is overrated at all. I'd actually go the other way and say he's underrated. Best prospect in hockey besides RNH imo.

I haven't really keyed in on Runblad so I can't comment, but I completely agree that besides RNH the prospect that I'd want is Johansen. I am very surprised that a number of people have Schenn over him TBH.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is overrated just because he was compared to Gretzky. If he was so good than he would not have gotten an 8.5C at HF, he would have overshadowed Couturier at the beginning of the year, he would have been the consensus number one pick for more than a year, and there would be no hesitation between who the Oilers were going to pick at draft day. Nobody knew that it was RNH until they called his name. Then with the fourth overall pick the Devs got Larson and people called that a steal, at fourth overall we commited robbery.

Seguin wasn't considered top 2 or 3 before his draft season started he must be a bum too then? As for the Oilers not knowing who they'd draft you obviously have no idea, Oilers fans would've been shocked if RNH's name wasn't called by us on draft day. And again I am glad that NJ feels that they got the guy that they wanted, why wouldn't I? However just because they did doesn't mean that any of the teams that passed on him isn't happy to have gotten him.

As I see it:

1) Oilers got their potential franchise center

2) Colorado got their replacement for Stewart and a terrific all around player that has leadership abilities and just about every intangible imaginable.

3) Florida took the most offensively gifted forward left on the board considering that their D is rather impressive.

So why is it that any of the 3 teams that passed on Larsson should be pissed? You mention RNH being overrated because some scouts compared his vision to #99's, well then I guess Larsson is overrated as hell since he's been oft compared to one of the greatest d-men ever and the best of this generation in Lidstrom.

Kershaw

who's downplaying anyone? I think that it's a little unfair to be comparing Larsson to guys who are older than him, though

Yes but you don't have to say Erixon is a whole tier below them when he's played as good as them last year.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
You're not looking then.

You don't think him being taken over guys like Larsson and Huberdeau would qualify him for hype? That alone makes him overrated in my eyes.

Because one team took the player they thought was the best makes him overrated?:shake head

I don't know if your a scout or something, but what makes Larsson and Huberdeau better than Landeskog? Why are random scouting services more credible now than an organization's scouting?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Because one team took the player they thought was the best makes him overrated?:shake head

I don't know if your a scout or something, but what makes Larsson and Huberdeau better than Landeskog? Why are random scouting services more credible now than an organization's scouting?

IMO Landeskog was a great pick for the Avs. Not looking forward to the Oilers having to face him 6 times a year ;)

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
There was a poll for Filatov against Loktionov, a player who's been a a PPG AHL player and he still won. The majority of the voters were Sens fans falling into the hype and kool-aid. People ignore that he's a headcase and was shipped off for a 3rd, but somehow he'll automatically turn it around. I don't buy it.

Silfverberg was ranked on par with Eberle but a couple of Senators fans, and one even mentioned him as a Loui Eriksson with a better shot. If that's not being overrated than I don't know what is.

I don't know how it's going to end up with Filatov, but things could change if a team gives him his way and lets him play offense. The Sens brought him in because they are prepared and able to do it...he may start with Spezza and on the PP. Give him his way and he may mature as he ages and appreciate the opportunity. He may buy in.

No ones tried this with him in the NHL yet as far as I know.

The Loui Eriksson comparison is only made by Sens fans because they've seen it mentioned by another publication(s?). And he does have a better shot (just check his 4-5 shootout goals on youtube). Pierre McGuire used Jere Lehtinen. I've heard Alfie-lite from a non-Brynas Swedish poster (then he came back after seeing him and said there's nothing "poor" about him). So, perhaps he is overrated...but it may not just be from Sens fans.

Biggest problem with Silfverberg is he doesn't shoot first, if he figures that out he could score a lot of goals in the NHL.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Then with the fourth overall pick the Devs got Larson and people called that a steal, at fourth overall we commited robbery.

To be fair, it was only Pierre McGuire saying that, but he often does know what he's talking about, even if he tends to exaggerate.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There was a poll for Filatov against Loktionov, a player who's been a a PPG AHL player and he still won. The majority of the voters were Sens fans falling into the hype and kool-aid. People ignore that he's a headcase and was shipped off for a 3rd, but somehow he'll automatically turn it around. I don't buy it.

Silfverberg was ranked on par with Eberle but a couple of Senators fans, and one even mentioned him as a Loui Eriksson with a better shot. If that's not being overrated than I don't know what is.

Your arguments are extremely weak.

Loktionov racked up close to PPG LAST year and a year before that while Filatov achieved the similar feat a year younger followed by doing it in the KHL the next, a far more dominant league than the AHL.

Filatov being a headcase is funny. Prior to the draft, Filatov was known as a workhorse and gave his best 110% every shift. He had trouble with Hitchcock who we all know favours players completely and problems with the Russian coach who no one liked in the first place.

Also, those comparisons about Silfverberg were actually said by others as well so try to get a bigger picture of the topic.

Rundblad is a PMD and is sorta of poor defensively, but that could change with experience. Erixon was the best all around guy on the team.

No he wasn't. LOL. Rundblad was the best in the regular season hands down. Followed by Larsson in the playoffs and yes I watched the games.

There is one thing about hyping your own prospects, but don't downplay another to try and prove a point. Erixon was on par with the other two last year. He was a beast in the WJC and played on the World Championship team for Sweden. I think he'll end up being the best 2-way guy out of these three. But that being said, I'll take Larsson and Rundblad ahead of him.

Larsson was the best player on the ice in the important game against the Russians too bad they still lost.

Kershaw

I don't know how it's going to end up with Filatov, but things could change if a team gives him his way and lets him play offense. The Sens brought him in because they are prepared and able to do it...he may start with Spezza and on the PP. Give him his way and he may mature as he ages and appreciate the opportunity. He may buy in.

No ones tried this with him in the NHL yet as far as I know.

It could change, but I already see fans penciling him as 1st line LWer of the future. His production last year wasn't impressive at all and the Jackets gave him every opportunity to succeed by giving him minutes at the beginning of the year. I just don't see how he'll marginally become an elite forward over one season. The fact that he got moved for a 3rd should say it all. I see many lists with him as the #3-5 sens prospect when he clearly hasn't done anything to prove that, it's all hype.

The Loui Eriksson comparison is only made by Sens fans because they've seen it mentioned by another publication(s?). And he does have a better shot (just check his 4-5 shootout goals on youtube). Pierre McGuire used Jere Lehtinen. I've heard Alfie-lite from a non-Brynas Swedish poster (then he came back after seeing him and said there's nothing "poor" about him). So, perhaps he is overrated...but it may not just be from Sens fans.

Biggest problem with Silfverberg is he doesn't shoot first, if he figures that out he could score a lot of goals in the NHL.

Are we looking at some youtube videos to judge shots? Eriksson already has an NHL caliber shot which helped him score 92 goals the past 3 years.

Here is an Eriksson highlight reel, his shot is very good. I don't see how Silfverberg has a better shot than a guy who's already proven his release is good enough to become a 30ish goal scorer.

Look at:

:34
:51
1:04
1:11

That is a very good shot, I think you are either underrating Eriksson or overrating Silfverberg, a player who hasn't stepped on NHL ice.

He's overrated by Sens fans since he was considered Eberle lite by a few posters in the trade section.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

No he won't. Larsson will be the best all-round guy out of those three, I saw them play 30+ games in regular season, and I saw all of their playoff games and there's nothing to suggest that Erixon will be the better all-round player than Larsson. Rundblad will improve defensivly and his offensive potential just blows Erixon out of the water. For me it's a toss up between Rundblad and Larsson and I'll give Larsson a slight edge.

Kershaw

No he won't. Larsson will be the best all-round guy out of those three, I saw them play 30+ games in regular season, and I saw all of their playoff games and there's nothing to suggest that Erixon will be the better all-round player than Larsson. Rundblad will improve defensivly and his offensive potential just blows Erixon out of the water. For me it's a toss up between Rundblad and Larsson and I'll give Larsson a slight edge.

I think Erixon is being quite underrated. He'll still likely be a top pairing guy for the Rangers, which is what Rundblad and Erixon project to be. There was a poster on the Rangers board who watched Skelleftea games, his username I believe is Ola and he claimed Erixon is currently the best all around guy of the 3. I'm not sure which poster to take credit from, but the Rangers develop defenseman very well and we could see him surpass Girardi by the end of the year.

FTR I think Erixon will be the 3rd best defender of these three. But he won't be a whole tier lower. I mean he still can become an Edler like player.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think Erixon is being quite underrated. He'll still likely be a top pairing guy for the Rangers, which is what Rundblad and Erixon project to be. There was a poster on the Rangers board who watched Skelleftea games, his username I believe is Ola and he claimed Erixon is currently the best all around guy of the 3. I'm not sure which poster to take credit from, but the Rangers develop defenseman very well and we could see him surpass Girardi by the end of the year.

FTR I think Erixon will be the 3rd best defender of these three. But he won't be a whole tier lower. I mean he still can become an Edler like player.

He's better all-round player than Rundblad, but he isn't better than Larsson, Larsson was used in a shutdown role and he excelled, he wasn't given that much chance to put up points as Erixon and Rundblad did. Larsson has great offensive instincts, he has a nice and heavy shot, he's a very good passer, and his hockey IQ is really high. His biggest flaw is that he sometimes gets overconfident, but that easily fixed through experiance and maturing as a player. That's not a knock againt Erixon, Larsson is just better.

Kershaw

He's better all-round player than Rundblad, but he isn't better than Larsson, Larsson was used in a shutdown role and he excelled, he wasn't given that much chance to put up points as Erixon and Rundblad did. Larsson has great offensive instincts, he has a nice and heavy shot, he's a very good passer, and his hockey IQ is really high. His biggest flaw is that he sometimes gets overconfident, but that easily fixed through experiance and maturing as a player. That's not a knock againt Erixon, Larsson is just better.

Larsson wasn't better than Erixon last year.

Erixon was on the top pairing with Rundblad.

Erixon shifted to shutdown role in playoffs with Larsson.

He has proven he is the better two way player currently between the two.

There is no denying that Larsson has better tools to work with. I think he'll be much more explosive. I think it'll take him a while to adjust however as opposed to Erixon. Same applies with Rundblad.

Erixon was the best Swedish D-man in the WJC, but Larsson had glimpses of dominating play like Pronger lite. Erixon is consistent.

If Larsson finds his groove, I think he has the ability to become a top 10, maybe top 5 d-man in the world.

Erixon IMO will have the toughest road to move up the depth charts. The Rangers have a better defense core than the Devils and Senators at this moment. They'll bring him up slowly, like Vancouver did with Edler. That's what I see as his upside, Edler-lite and his downside will probably be Douglas Murray at worst. He's probably the safest pick of the 3 Skelleftea defenseman IMO.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I love when people say RNH is overated.. Kid is going to be unreal. Have you heard what scouts say about this guy? RNH between Hall and Eberle in a few years will be the top line in the league.... thats not even counting the potential Hall-RNH-Yakopov line:naughty:

Now you're getting Yakupov, too??? Just how many years are you planning to suck? Surely the goal should be better than lottery this year.

I see sens fans saying Silfverberg is on Eberle's level. If that's not overrating, I dunno what is?

I don't doubt it's been said, but I wouldn't say that's a consensus in Sensland.

Kershaw

Based on what? That's just pure homerisam on your part, Larsson is the safest pick without a doubt, I can't see how would anyone can argue that.

His offense might not turn around. He was inconsistent in the WJC.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Larsson wasn't better than Erixon last year.

Erixon was on the top pairing with Rundblad.

Erixon shifted to shutdown role in playoffs with Larsson.

He has proven he is the better two way player currently between the two.

There is no denying that Larsson has better tools to work with. I think he'll be much more explosive. I think it'll take him a while to adjust however as opposed to Erixon. Same applies with Rundblad.

Erixon was the best Swedish D-man in the WJC, but Larsson had glimpses of dominating play like Pronger lite. Erixon is consistent.

If Larsson finds his groove, I think he has the ability to become a top 10, maybe top 5 d-man in the world.

Erixon IMO will have the toughest road to move up the depth charts. The Rangers have a better defense core than the Devils and Senators at this moment. They'll bring him up slowly, like Vancouver did with Edler. That's what I see as his upside, Edler-lite and his downside will probably be Douglas Murray at worst. He's probably the safest pick of the 3 Skelleftea defenseman IMO.

Nope,

Erixon and Larsson at end of year (playoffs). Its a big reason why Larsson's numbers dipped as Rundblad was taking his ice time this year.

Rundblad played with John Alm(end of year), Ville Kostinen (middle) or Fredrik Lindgren (start). A couple of others during the year. I dont think he played with Larsson like once as a true pairing

If you dont believe go to this site
http://stats.swehockey.se/

click divisions-elitserien-2010/2011-elitserien

then go complete schedule, click on the score and click lineup tab and see for yourself.

And were done here...

Kershaw

You're basing your whole argument on one WJC? I guess Duchene won't be any good in the future since he didn't have a point in the last WC.

Well what other way can we judge these players?

Erixon did have better season statistcally by all levels.

7.5B based on HF rankings also indicate he's a guarantee player.

Kershaw

Nope,

Erixon and Larsson at end of year (playoffs). Its a big reason why Larsson's numbers dipped as Rundblad was taking his ice time this year.

Rundblad played with John Alm(end of year), Ville Kostinen (middle) or Fredrik Lindgren (start). A couple of others during the year. I dont think he played with Larsson like once as a true pairing

If you dont believe go to this site
http://stats.swehockey.se/

click divisions-elitserien-2010/2011-elitserien

then go complete schedule, click on the score and click lineup tab and see for yourself.

And were done here...

The lineups apparently are interchangeable. Here is one where Erixon and Rundblad were used as a pairing:

http://stats.swehockey.se/online/43/90001/90001272/90001272_frame_default.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad