Most Overrated NHL Team

Most overrated team of 2018/19

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't really get how the Leafs are overrated. I mean, their D is a problem but they should be able to outscore a lot of their problems this season.

They're certainly on the short list of Cup contenders.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't really get how the Leafs are overrated. I mean, their D is a problem but they should be able to outscore a lot of their problems this season.

All that matters right now is putting up points in the standings.

The team that is playing out there right now likely won't look like the team lining up in April.

If the defensive issues continue, it might be a cause for concern but that's a long way off.

Ultimately they have to win a playoff series this year. I think the fans expect that. After that, a lot depends on who they are facing and how they are playing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Theyre not one of the top cup contenders (pitt wash etc)
But in the grouping right after? Sure

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Theyre not one of the top cup contenders (pitt wash etc)
But in the grouping right after? Sure
I don't know - all of the top contenders seem to have flaws to me. Pitt and Toronto both have pretty bad defenses. Washington is interesting, because I still think that looking at their roster they don't look that great, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum of their parts (in stark difference to years past where the opposite was true). Tampa still has issues with consistency and certain players not showing up in big games. Winnipeg has some question marks through their line up. Nashville is missing gamebreakers at forward.

They're all in the same lump to me. Maybe you give bonus points to the proven winners, but it shouldn't be *that* many.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't know - all of the top contenders seem to have flaws to me. Pitt and Toronto both have pretty bad defenses. Washington is interesting, because I still think that looking at their roster they don't look that great, but the whole is definitely greater than the sum of their parts (in stark difference to years past where the opposite was true). Tampa still has issues with consistency and certain players not showing up in big games. Winnipeg has some question marks through their line up. Nashville is missing gamebreakers at forward.

They're all in the same lump to me. Maybe you give bonus points to the proven winners, but it shouldn't be *that* many.

The bolded is the biggest component you're lacking. And yes I give huge bumps for that.

Pitt, Wash, Tampa...Nashville. I think those 4 are tier 1.

You could argue that "on paper" Toronto's roster is as good as most teams - but it's one thing to be good enough to be supposed to win, and it's another thing to actually go ahead and win. And until Toronto does, i won't see them as a top cup contender. All those other 4 teams either won cups or went very far lately - and also have a few key proven playoff competitors.

Matthews is the type of player who you think "should" be good in the playoffs - but he's not proven it yet. and even JT has very limited playoff experience.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The bolded is the biggest component you're lacking. And yes I give huge bumps for that.

Pitt, Wash, Tampa...Nashville. I think those 4 are tier 1.

You could argue that "on paper" Toronto's roster is as good as most teams - but it's one thing to be good enough to be supposed to win, and it's another thing to actually go ahead and win. And until Toronto does, i won't see them as a top cup contender. All those other 4 teams either won cups or went very far lately - and also have a few key proven playoff competitors.

Matthews is the type of player who you think "should" be good in the playoffs - but he's not proven it yet. and even JT has very limited playoff experience.
Certainly defensible. I kind of take the opposite tack - you have to prove to be a choker more than you have to prove to be a winner in these discussions. Winnipeg's lack of PO experience still took them to the WCF in their first year in the playoffs. Unless you're the Sharks, Blues, or pre '18 Caps, you get the benefit of the doubt that talent wins out for me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
East: Leafs
West: Blues

I think the Leafs have a great future and could very well become a contender. However they aren't yet, not until they get a legit D core.

Blues made a lot of moves but I dunno, kinda feels like it's the same old story with them.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Certainly defensible. I kind of take the opposite tack - you have to prove to be a choker more than you have to prove to be a winner in these discussions. Winnipeg's lack of PO experience still took them to the WCF in their first year in the playoffs. Unless you're the Sharks, Blues, or pre '18 Caps, you get the benefit of the doubt that talent wins out for me.

Yeah you notice I didn't have Winnipeg listed there precisely for that reason, despite last year's run. I'd put them in the same grouping as the Leafs (and i actually prefer the Leaf's roster).

And the Leafs haven't won a single playoff series with their core yet. Maybe if they had beaten Boston (who finished ahead, and was favored) and then lost in a tough round 2 match with Tampa, u'd think "ok i bet they learned, overachieved slightly, and next year they're going to storm back". but they still just lost in round 1, 2 years running.
I'm not saying the Leafs are chokers but they've had exactly 0 playoff success so far. And they have questions at defense (and in my opinion - in nets).

If they had added a proven playoff warrior (so instead of Tavares - a Malkin or Crosby, or even a player of Karlsson's caliber whose better than JT) - i'd be ok labeling them as a top contender even without any real playoff success yet. As it is i have them as tier 2 until they prove they can win.

I'd probably also have Sharks as a top tier cup contender - but solely on how much I value Karlsson as a player, even though so far it's not looking very convincing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think the Leafs have a great future and could very well become a contender. However they aren't yet, not until they get a legit D core.

Blues made a lot of moves but I dunno, kinda feels like it's the same old story with them.

I voted Blues too.

Same old imo. Maybe bubble playoff team, and even if they somehow make it (and even if they finish high in standings) - I have exactly 0 faith in them going far in the playoffs.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I voted Blues too.

Same old imo. Maybe bubble playoff team, and even if they somehow make it (and even if they finish high in standings) - I have exactly 0 faith in them going far in the playoffs.
Even with Tank I feel like they're missing that game breaking talent, along with having horrible goaltending.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Even with Tank I feel like they're missing that game breaking talent, along with having horrible goaltending.
They just feel like a worse Predators across the board. Same strengths (but less strong), same weaknesses.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I've always felt that about the Blues. Very solid team that just needs more game-breakers to go over-the-top. Minnesota in some seasons feels like that as well.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Pittsburgh won two cups with a mediocre defense. Why exactly cant Toronto?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
... since 2017?

Ah figured you ment their earlier cups. Was the Pens D that bad the past few years? I didn’t realize.

Still, Teams do have strong offence and defence that can score as well and have got better. Tor isn’t there yet

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Letang and Murray have nothing to do with their defense? Okay.
You never mentioned Letang and no Murray does not play on the defese

Your defense was mediocre and yet you still won two cups. No reason Toronto cant either, no matter what irellevant reasons you come up with

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You never mentioned Letang and no Murray does not play on the defese

Your defense was mediocre and yet you still won two cups. No reason Toronto cant either, no matter what irellevant reasons you come up with
Your? I'm not a Pens fan. And yes, I did mention Letang.
I'm not in the business of feeding your insecurity.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Your? I'm not a Pens fan. And yes, I did mention Letang.
I'm not in the business of feeding your insecurity.
Lol continue hating on the Leafs for no other reason than its cool

'Pittsburgh has a mediocre defense, wins two cups, Toronto cant possibly do that though for reasons like forwards and goalie' lmao

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lol continue hating on the Leafs for no other reason than its cool

'Pittsburgh has a mediocre defense, wins two cups, Toronto cant possibly do that though for reasons like forwards and goalie' lmao

Not hating on the Leafs at all. Did you miss me saying they're a great team and an eventual contender?

No idea why you continually are acting like I didn't mention defense, Letang is a defenseman. Along with Matt Murray being phenomenal in both their runs.

Just because I don't think there will be a cup celebration in Toronto this June doesn't mean they can't get there in a few years, that isn't hating it's being realistic.

Anyways, not going to derail yet another thread into a Leafs one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad