Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Vlad The Impaler said:
Miller is one guy I haven't seen on this thread who deserves it as far as I am concerned. The hype last year was a little crazy and he's unremarkable compared to many other goalie prospects.

Miller has yet to get his fair shake at the NHL level, IMHO. It seems everytime he has played so far, he has been behind a Buffalo team that didn't show up at all. He is doing very well in the AHL, and I still believe him to be the real deal. Only time will tell, though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Sejna is another big one, I predicted he wouldn't do anything(and was pretty much alone with that sentiment).

He's a small overrager dominating in college.

If he was doing that at a younger age I would have taken more notice, but he was 24.

He's still doing even worse than I was expecting though.

But he had a goal in his first NHL game!!!!!11

That projects to a goal a game!!!!!1

OMG! If he plays 1,000 games...he'll have 1,000 goals, am I right???/ WTF!!11

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Picking the most overrated out of a field where pretty much everyone is overrated is a tough job.

I'll go with Komisarek. Still a pretty good defensive prospect, and that's fine, but the hype machine was roaring for him.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
Frolov was over hyped but hasn't been a disapointment.

Komisarek was over hyped and is still over hyped.

Hell, which prospect wasn't over hyped?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Vlad The Impaler said:
-Good performances at WJCs: Some people read WAY too much in the short tournaments. This is what happened to Frolov. That fools a lot of people.

Frolov in his second year is on the pace for a 30 goalseason together with excellent defensive play, so I've really no idea what you mean. Tell me, what did you expect from him ?

Vlad The Impaler said:
The year before that, there was "next Jagr" stuff too. Horrible...

C'mon normally you present yourself as sensible man on these boards, so why don't you act like one right now. The people who said he's the next Jagr are idiots and a guy like you should take that with a grain of salt.

Epsilon said:
Last year there was a ton of "next Sergei Fedorov" stuff floating around, plus at least one "Frolov vs. Kovalchuk" thread.

Well there is nothing wrong with a (poor man's) Fedorov comparison but he will never get the offensive output from Kovalchuk.

Finally I would like to say, it's a shame that the word "overrated" has been used by players like Spezza, Frolov etc. Both Spezza and Frolov are still young and the hype around them is not their fault and besides, they play quite well. It wouldn't surprise me that many people who are active in this thread have been the same people with those ridiculous comparisons.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Frolov 6'3 said:
Frolov in his second year is on the pace for a 30 goalseason together with excellent defensive play, so I've really no idea what you mean. Tell me, what did you expect from him ?

Didn't have any expectation except a pretty good NHL player. To tell you the truth, I'd like to still have the archives so we could see the exact words.

Frolov 6'3 said:
C'mon normally you present yourself as sensible man on these boards, so why don't you act like one right now. The people who said he's the next Jagr are idiots and a guy like you should take that with a grain of salt.

Well... that's the point of the thread I think. To show the greatest examples of overrating. There were several posters pimping Frolov as the next Jagr and it lasted long enough for me to remember him as a good example.

I do take all cases of overrating with a grain of salt :p

I don't know what was said that upset you. I'm just presenting what I remember, it's no big deal.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Vlad The Impaler said:
I don't know what was said that upset you. I'm just presenting what I remember, it's no big deal.

Oh no, I'm not upset at all.

However, too many people on these boards expect 40 goals from certain players but they forget it's damn difficult to score 40 goals these days. Besides, players who are excellent in their own end are way too underrated here.

Lets put it this way, I guess I just wasn't in the mood 45 minutes ago. :)

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Sejna is another big one, I predicted he wouldn't do anything(and was pretty much alone with that sentiment).

*high five* me too. had to counter all those people who said 'he scored one goal in one game so that means he's great

Certainly ruutu is overhyped a bit, though his lack of early production is due mostly to his previous knee surgery. Others include Chistov (yea, he's alright, but people were saying he was the next kariya), Kobasew and Komisarek

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PhoPhan said:
Regardless of how whether they panned out or not, who is the most overrated prospect in Hockey's Future History? It can be either on the boards or on the rankings.

**Crosby and Ovechkin excluded**

As far as rankings, I'm going to go with Yanick Lehoux, who, IIRC, was a 9.5 at one point.

Alexandre Daigle...

I would give the Sedin Twins Honourable mention...

Bure9*

Liquidrage said:
It also shows that Ranger prospects get overhyped on the boards. I really didn't think Lundmark or Blackburn were bad prospects at all. Just that the level of play didn't match the high praise they were getting on the boards.
Blackburn could get totally lit up in a game, and yet if he made one great save that's what some people focused on. Dunham came in and blew Blackburn's play out of the water, so it wasn't just the poor Rangers D doing it to Blackburn.
I don't think the Rangers handled Lundmark well either. But there comes a time when if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, you gotta stop calling it an eagle and just call it a duck.

I guess it has absolutely nothing to do with the hype these prospects receive before they are even drafted. Before Lundmark was even drafted he was compared to Yzerman. Blackburn was drawing comparisons to Cujo. Fans will always overhype their players and prospects. There just happens to be a lot of Rangers fans on these boards so it will be magnified. In comparison, Devils prospects never seem to be overhyped because there are only two of you. Or should I say only a parking lot few

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Vlad The Impaler said:
That's strange. A few months ago, somebody actually DID compare Pitkanen to Orr and this post suggests you agreed with him. At the very least, it looks like you responded to him so you should know better:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=374746&highlight=Orr+Pitkanen#post374746
I know what you are thinking, but you misunderstood my post. I wasn't replying to the Pitkanen-Orr comment, I was agreeing with SopelFan about how lame it is for chicks to pretend to like hockey just because they think the players are cute. I probably should have cut out the Pitkanen-Orr thing, but I just responded to the whole post.

Any time Pitkanen has been compared to Orr, all I've seen are comparisons, not really saying he's going to be the next Orr. Of course, there will always be a few misguided fans/homers, but it's just been a few isolated incidents, (Pitkanen-Orr comparisons) however, I've seen numerous posts saying that Bouwmeester is the next Orr, which is why I think he is overrated.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
WhamBamCam8 said:
Chris Higgins and Andy Hilbert....
higgins ... i've never heard any bad comments on him .. and i've heard that he's the favorite habs prospect of our organization !! yeah over komisarek,kastitsyn and perezhogin !!...

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I'm surprised this name hasnt gotten more attention but MAF.

After he started his first two or three games this year, was shelled, but nonetheless put up a decent save percent, the hype went nuts. He might well turn out to be a franchise goalie, but still way too early to tell, and I think even pens fans can reluctantly agree that he isnt quite NHL callibre yet.

Another I'm surprised doesnt get more notice is Sejna.

Frolov was hyped, but he has turned into a decent player. It is so common for prospects to be labeled the next ______, that they can really only be considered the worst of the overhyped if they really, really bomb like Daigle.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
MojoJojo said:
I'm surprised this name hasnt gotten more attention but MAF.

After he started his first two or three games this year, was shelled, but nonetheless put up a decent save percent, the hype went nuts. He might well turn out to be a franchise goalie, but still way too early to tell, and I think even pens fans can reluctantly agree that he isnt quite NHL callibre yet.

Another I'm surprised doesnt get more notice is Sejna.

Frolov was hyped, but he has turned into a decent player. It is so common for prospects to be labeled the next ______, that they can really only be considered the worst of the overhyped if they really, really bomb like Daigle.
Fleury is NHL caliber already. On a team like Philly he wouldve put up stellar numbers. He's looked shaky at times, but was playing awesome the couple of games before he got sent down, even though he gave up 5 goals per game those two nights. He's NHL caliber. It's our defense save Orpik that's not.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Takeo21 said:
Pitkanen most recently. The Bobby Orr comparisons are a tough pill to swallow.

Never eard Orr comparaision with Pitkanen...

BTW he's one of the rare prospect that perform as well as it has been said on this board.

I dont get your point!!!!

BJ21

M V Pete

Jul 1, 2003
New Jersey
Bure9 said:
In comparison, Devils prospects never seem to be overhyped because there are only two of you. Or should I say only a parking lot few

Still better than a darkened arena come Spring-time....

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Fleury is NHL caliber already. On a team like Philly he wouldve put up stellar numbers. He's looked shaky at times, but was playing awesome the couple of games before he got sent down, even though he gave up 5 goals per game those two nights. He's NHL caliber. It's our defense save Orpik that's not.

True. On another team, the composure he started the year with may not have been ruined. Although this can be written off as speculation, the fact he was drafted first overall are enough to warrant a high prospect ranking alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->