Most Overrated HF Prospect of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Regardless of how whether they panned out or not, who is the most overrated prospect in Hockey's Future History? It can be either on the boards or on the rankings.

**Crosby and Ovechkin excluded**

As far as rankings, I'm going to go with Yanick Lehoux, who, IIRC, was a 9.5 at one point.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Mike Komisarek- Often called the next Chris Pronger. Will be productive, but he's no Chris Pronger.

Tuomo Ruutu- The only place that hyped him more than his agent was here.

Jason Spezza- great player, but it was crazy around here during his draft year.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
The Loose Cannon said:
Dustin Rose

Heh, I vaguely remember the name. Was he not the fake prospect? If someone could elaborate, I'd be thankful.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
yeah, Dustin Rose is a fictional person. He was created on the old boards, before the format we see and use now.

PEli*

PhoPhan said:
Heh, I vaguely remember the name. Was he not the fake prospect? If someone could elaborate, I'd be thankful.

Huge kid. Fought a bear if I remember correctly.

PEli*

Tanguay40 said:
His wrist shot was clocked at 97 mph I heard.

Awesome. I can't wait for his draft year. Only 2 years away! Let's hope he can survive more possible bear attacks and work on that pitiful 97mph wrister...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kirill Koltsov, Tuomo Ruutu, Yanick Lehoux, Alexander Frolov, Mike Komisarek all stand out to me.

All will be great players, sans Lehoux who will be lucky to stick in the NHL, but the hype around here is just too much.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
PhoPhan said:
Regardless of how whether they panned out or not, who is the most overrated prospect in Hockey's Future History? It can be either on the boards or on the rankings.

**Crosby and Ovechkin excluded**

As far as rankings, I'm going to go with Yanick Lehoux, who, IIRC, was a 9.5 at one point.

Lehoux is an excellent choice. In fact I can't really think of a prospect more overhyped on these boards.

Back on the older version HF boards, Lehoux was a god among boys and the next great Kings phenom. His rating on the team pages was always amazingly high (as you pointed out).

A few others who come to mind could be Mikhail Yakubov (although I think the verdict is still out on him somewhat despite his massive struggles in the AHL his first two pro seasons). Alexander Fomitchev, one time Oilers goaltending prospect. Although if you look now, he's developed into one of the best goaltenders in the RSL. How about Jiri Drtina?

leafaholix*

Some...

Lundmark - Done nothing.
Komisarek - Too much publicity by Habs fans... 1 point in 43 games.
Hainsey - See Komisarek... 23 years old and has 2 points in 32 games.
Boyes - 22 years old... 0 NHL games. Alot of publicity from Leafs fans. (including myself)
Koivu
Hudler - Really overrated. He gets more attention then Zetterberg at times.
Jillson

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ruutu was pretty hyped, although I would say that was just a by-product of people believing the massive amount of hype he got from The Hockey News.

Komisarek definitely comes to mind, last year you had all sorts of people picking him as the #3 player in the 2001 draft behind Kovalchuk and Spezza.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Takeo21 said:
Pitkanen most recently. The Bobby Orr comparisons are a tough pill to swallow.

Sure you don't mean Bouwmeester? I've never heard Pitkanen compared to Orr, I've heard Larry Robinson a few times though.

And now that it comes to mind, the hype on Bouwmeester has frequently been over the top with the Orr comparisons.

nucks2001

Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Kirill Koltsov, Tuomo Ruutu, Yanick Lehoux, Alexander Frolov, Mike Komisarek all stand out to me.

All will be great players, sans Lehoux who will be lucky to stick in the NHL, but the hype around here is just too much.

Frolov?? He has 17 goals already this year on a team riddled with injuries.. sure is over hyped :dunno:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
nucks2001 said:
Frolov?? He has 17 goals already this year on a team riddled with injuries.. sure is over hyped :dunno:

Last year there was a ton of "next Sergei Fedorov" stuff floating around, plus at least one "Frolov vs. Kovalchuk" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->