Most overrated duo by their own HF fans?

Most overrated duo by their own HF fans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get fans of other teams not wanting to wade into the cesspool that is the Canadiens Board, but Jesperi Kotkaniemi + Cole Caufield as the most overrated duo with almost twice as other is kind of hilarious as a Habs fan.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Would Marner and Matthews be considered the Leaf's duo? If so, then I would say the Leaf fans overvalue those two. Salaries, IMO, are connected to player value, as is playoff success.

Mar 14, 2011
1 month ago the answer would be Matthews and Marner but you cant really say that now as many Leafs fan have finally soured on Mitch Marner. Just go check the Leafs board during this past few weeks, lots of frustrations are clearly being directed to Mitch now that Andersen isn't around to be the team's undeserved scapegoat anymore.

Reactions: Garthinater

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I vote for whichever Canadian team is still actively playing games right now instead of quietly in their offseason.

Oh look everyone agrees.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Thinly veiled attempt at bringing up the Rangers.

I do think some Rangers fans overrate Zibanejad but that's balanced by the fact that Buchnevich is underrated based on how people react to him on the trade board.

I don't know why it's so mind-boggling that a well-rounded top six forward might be worth something.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have seen this year several of these players get dumped on by their own fans. Jesperi Kotkaniemi has been called a bust by seemingly half of the Habs fans. A lot of Rangers fans would be thrilled to trade Zibanejad for a responsible center who scores half as much. "Is Jack Hughes that good?" is still the question of the day with Devils fans. I would not have picked this group.

And honestly Matthews and Marners are now loathed by half of Leafs fans! They finally agree that they're overpaid, and many are seeing the light on Dubas. So not that either.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I have seen this year several of these players get dumped on by their own fans. Jesperi Kotkaniemi has been called a bust by seemingly half of the Habs fans. A lot of Rangers fans would be thrilled to trade Zibanejad for a responsible center who scores half as much. "Is Jack Hughes that good?" is still the question of the day with Devils fans. I would not have picked this group.

And honestly Matthews and Marners are now loathed by half of Leafs fans! They finally agree that they're overpaid, and many are seeing the light on Dubas. So not that either.
Matthews isn't overpaid but yeah Marner definitely is. I think most would agree that he was overpaid pretty much as soon as he signed that contract.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Matthews isn't overpaid but yeah Marner definitely is. I think most would agree that he was overpaid pretty much as soon as he signed that contract.

Matthews definitely is over paid.

11.34 x 5 with a career high of 63 points at time of signing. Shortest term of anyone out of the top 25 highest paid. Way under ppg during playoffs. If he had signed for 8 years it would've been more than mcdavid and his 12.5! Matthews literally has a more player friendly deal than the best player in the league. Just an insane contract. 11 x 8 would've been more than fair for him.

Also marner only got his contract because of auston. Mitch had a 94 point season. Much more impressive than anything auston had done at that point.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Only marner is loathed. Matthews basically escapes all criticism from the leaf fan base. Many still consider auston the 2nd best player in the league. He is still over rated but marner is definitely not anymore.

Reactions: Fatass

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Matthews definitely is over paid.

11.34 x 5 with a career high of 63 points at time of signing. Shortest term of anyone out of the top 25 highest paid. Way under ppg during playoffs. If he had signed for 8 years it would've been more than mcdavid and his 12.5! Matthews literally has a more player friendly deal than the best player in the league. Just an insane contract. 11 x 8 would've been more than fair for him.

Also marner only got his contract because of auston. Mitch had a 94 point season. Much more impressive than anything auston had done at that point.
Matthews just ran away with the Richard trophy this year and is likely to finish 2nd in Hart and Lindsey voting as well. Not to mention he still played well in the playoffs (was competing hard in all 3 zones and averaging 5 shots a game), he was just snakebitten.

In what way is that overpaid?

Never change HF :laugh:

Mar 14, 2011
Matthews just ran away with the Richard trophy this year and is likely to finish 2nd in Hart and Lindsey voting as well. Not to mention he still played well in the playoffs (was competing hard in all 3 zones and averaging 5 shots a game), he was just snakebitten.

Playoffs
Auston Matthews; 24 points in 32 games
Marner; 25 points in 32 games
Pasta; 68 points in 63 games
MAcK; 69 points in 50 games
Kucherov; 114 point in 102 games
Aho; 35 points in 34 games
Drai; 27 points in 21 games
Rantanen; 52 points in 43 games

I'm sorry, but Matthews is in the same boat as Mitch when it comes to grossly underachieving in the playoffs. Come playoff time, Marner and Matthews are putting up numbers comparable to guys like Eberle and Bailey all the while eating up prime PP minutes and more than 2 times the amount of Cap compare to those 2.

Their regular season is fine and all and yes you can make an argument that they are only slightly overpaid paid if you look at their regular season numbers alone, but the number 1 goal has always been to win the Cup not the president's trophy or divisional championships, playoff numbers matters big time and both AM and MM numbers has been very abysmal compare to their fellow star players, all of whom are getting payed less compare to the Leaf's duo.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Playoffs
Auston Matthews; 24 points in 32 games
Marner; 25 points in 32 games
Pasta; 68 points in 63 games
MAcK; 69 points in 50 games
Kucherov; 114 point in 102 games
Aho; 35 points in 34 games
Drai; 27 points in 21 games
Rantanen; 52 points in 43 games

I'm sorry, but Matthews is in the same boat as Mitch when it comes to grossly underachieving in the playoffs. Come playoff time, Marner and Matthews are putting up numbers comparable to guys like Eberle and Bailey all the while eating up prime PP minutes and more than 2 times the amount of Cap compare to those 2.

Their regular season is fine and all and yes you can make an argument that they are only slightly overpaid paid if you look at their regular season numbers alone, but the number 1 goal has always been to win the Cup not the president's trophy or divisional championships, playoff numbers matters big time and both AM and MM numbers has been very abysmal compare to their fellow star players, all of whom are getting payed less compare to the Leaf's duo.
Small sample size. Both have shot well bellow (16.2% to 9.5% for Matthews and 11.3% to 6.3% for Marner) from what they have usually put up so I'm fairly confident that they will figure it out/start getting more puck luck eventually.
Also if you're gonna nitpick Matthews and Marners postseason production why not also criticize someone like McDavid who's production has also seen a dip come postseason?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They're not equal. Marner has 5 career playoff goals and 5 career playoff delay of game penalties for flipping the puck into the stands.

Mar 14, 2011
Small sample size. Both have shot well bellow (16.2% to 9.5% for Matthews and 11.3% to 6.3% for Marner) from what they have usually put up so I'm fairly confident that they will figure it out/start getting more puck luck eventually.
Also if you're gonna nitpick Matthews and Marners postseason production why not also criticize someone like McDavid who's production has also seen a dip come postseason?
McDavid definitely was as disappointing as AM was during this playoffs, but his 22 points in 21 games still has the Leafs Duo CLEARLY beat. Like I said, its been half a decade of playoff appearances now and AM and MM numbers is still in that "2nd liner category" except they are doing that with 1st line minutes and generational cap hit numbers, so dont give me this excuse that they've just been snakebitten, they got paid significantly more than their peers, they dont have the luxury to make that excuse when it has been half a decade already.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Gotta go with NJ duo. I don't think they're necessarily being overrated because I don't see anyone on a mountain top singing their praises(prob just don't notice or don't go in their threads) but they're probably the most disappointing (FOR NOW).

MTL duo is prob more "overrated" that I've seen.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
McDavid definitely was as disappointing as AM was during this playoffs, but his 22 points in 21 games still has the Leafs Duo CLEARLY beat. Like I said, its been half a decade of playoff appearances now and AM and MM numbers is still in that "2nd liner category" except they are doing that with 1st line minutes and generational cap hit numbers, so dont give me this excuse that they've just been snakebitten, they got paid significantly more than their peers, they dont have the luxury to make that excuse when it has been half a decade already.

McDavid doesn't have 22 pts in real playoff games though, remove his playin series and he has been downright horrible(for being as good as he normally is of course).

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It’s sad how predictable you are.

“Matthews can’t be criticized! Look at player x who has also struggled”

Switch out who x depending on whether it’s a regular season or post season debate

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid doesn't have 22 pts in real playoff games though, remove his playin series and he has been downright horrible(for being as good as he normally is of course).
Why are we removing the play in series? His team was clearly a playoff team and the NHL officially recorded those games as playoff games.

Seems like you want to arbitrarily take them away for some biased argument. All the play in games count for all players/teams.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Art ross / heart / lindsay are all worth far more than the rocket.

Matthews is the 3rd highest paid player with the shortest term of anyone in the top 25. His contract stands out like a sore thumb on cap friendly.

At time of signing he had a career high of 63 points.

Apparently for an 8 year deal matthews wanted 13+. Completely insane and clearly not a team player.

Matthews has played 32 PO games and only has 24 points, good for a 0.75 ppg or 62 points / 82 games. That is not even close to enough for what he's getting paid.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Art ross / heart / lindsay are all worth far more than the rocket.

Matthews is the 3rd highest paid player with the shortest term of anyone in the top 25. His contract stands out like a sore thumb on cap friendly.

At time of signing he had a career high of 63 points.

Apparently for an 8 year deal matthews wanted 13+. Completely insane and clearly not a team player.

Matthews has played 32 PO games and only has 24 points, good for a 0.75 ppg or 62 points / 82 games. That is not even close to enough for what he's getting paid.
ok but like I also said he is likely to finish 2nd in both Hart and Lindsey voting this year sooo.... :dunno:...
like trying to talk with a brick wall, some of you on here...

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
It’s sad how predictable you are.

“Matthews can’t be criticized! Look at player x who has also struggled”

Switch out who x depending on whether it’s a regular season or post season debate
it's sad how predictable you are.

Bash Matthews at every turn regardless of what he has accomplished at such a young age in his career thus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad