Music: Most Overrated and Most Underrated Rock Band in History

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I was curious of people's opinions on who they believe is the most overrated rock band in history and who they believe is the most underrated rock band in history. Now there can be different ways to interpret this question, so you can answer in 1 or multiple ways or with 1 or multiple bands as answers. For example, you can gauge this overrating or underrating based on commercial success, or talent, or impact on music/future musicians, or impact on audience, or personal taste, or what have you.

I'll start.

Most overrated band in rock history to me would be Nirvana. I say this because I think their influence on music is overrated or misjudged, metal and punk/post-punk bands before and around the same time as them had been played around with what Nirvana was doing but just never hit commerical success or as much commercial success, post-grunge and nu metal bands that grew from/after their movement are imo a pretty bad genre with not many notable quality artists or music coming out of this sector, and lastly from a personal standpoint I just think their music is very rough on the ears. The elements in grunge, Nirvana's grunge specifically, for me just too many times sound like incoherent or unimpressive noise. I get heavy and distortion, I enjoy a bunch of metal bands that can do it harmoniously with much more appeal and intelligent feel to it. On the flip side of this topic, Elliott Smith is an artist who's place in history should be much greater than Nirvana. His lyrics, virtuosity, and overall talent are levels above Nirvana's work.

Most underrated rock band in history to me would be The Yardbirds. They started Clapton, Page, and Jeff Beck's careers. They played and influenced blues/blues rock, psych rock, pop rock, and early hard rock, showing a very wide range of successful music. The music and bands that directly and indirectly evolved from the Yardbirds were incredibly impactful and successful in rock. And of course they had a good amount of hit singles, with a decent range of music.

Reactions: BSHH

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
The entire rock genre is pretty big, but as far as metal bands go I would say Saxon is the most underrated.

For overrated....that's a tough one, I could name a half dozen super popular bands that I personally don't like their music. The biggest one though would have to be the Eagles. I think they are bland, mediocre, generic garbage and if it wasn't for Joe Walsh and Don Henley the noise they made wouldn't even qualify as music.

Reactions: BSHH

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Overrated: The Beatles. Great, but still overrated.

Underrated: The Strokes. After early hype they became kind of a punching bag for hipster critics, but they’ve built an outstanding catalogue. Their worst albums still have gems and are listenable overall. Best rock band of the last 20 years

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not going to do individual bands because I see genres as the more important aspect in mainstream/underground music scene.

The most overrated for me is classical rock and just because it's overrated doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it gets played a ton over and over to the point of no return (such as Eye of the Tigre). Bands that fit this description includes Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Guns 'n' Roses, Journey, AC/DC, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Def Leppard (though I love them), etc.

Hard to say what's the most underrated because I love progressive metal, speed metal, industrial scene like NIN, and others, but I suggest that jazz is the most. You either love or hate jazz, but in regards to talent I can't think of any other genre that has some of the most talented musicians on the planet than this one genre. So many offbeat signatures and funky cords that makes it unstoppable.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The idea of the Velvet Underground is far more compelling than the actual music.

What do you mean? I genuinely don't know what the idea of the Velvet Underground is, but I've always found their playing highly original (both their abrasive tracks and the pop ones), stylish vocals (whether it's Reed, Cale, Nico or Yule) and one of the few rock acts whose lyrics are actually worth a shit and improve/coordinate well with the music.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What do you mean? I genuinely don't know what the idea of the Velvet Underground is, but I've always found their playing highly original (both their abrasive tracks and the pop ones), stylish vocals (whether it's Reed, Cale, Nico or Yule) and one of the few rock acts whose lyrics are actually worth a shit and improve/coordinate well with the music.

I don't put much of a premium on originality in my assessment of the musicality of a band, it's more of a bonus for me.

A band can be wholly original and then someone comes along and improves massively on the content and that band is ultimately providing a better musical soundscape.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't put much of a premium on originality in my assessment of the musicality of a band, it's more of a bonus for me.

A band can be wholly original and then someone comes along and improves massively on the content and that band is ultimately providing a better musical soundscape.

For sure. No disagreement there. I just don't see a similar band having done so on the VU's music. I think they hold up perfectly.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Overrated: Nirvana, I agree with the OP as well. Had a discussion about this on Saturday night, actually.
Underrated: Dream Theater, vocals to me are kind of "eh" but I truly believe that John Petrucci is the GOAT guitarist.

Reactions: Fripp

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Not going to do individual bands because I see genres as the more important aspect in mainstream/underground music scene.

The most overrated for me is classical rock and just because it's overrated doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it gets played a ton over and over to the point of no return (such as Eye of the Tigre). Bands that fit this description includes Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Guns 'n' Roses, Journey, AC/DC, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Def Leppard (though I love them), etc.

Hard to say what's the most underrated because I love progressive metal, speed metal, industrial scene like NIN, and others, but I suggest that jazz is the most. You either love or hate jazz, but in regards to talent I can't think of any other genre that has some of the most talented musicians on the planet than this one genre. So many offbeat signatures and funky cords that makes it unstoppable.

So, the most underrated rock band in history is jazz? :huh:

Overrated on HF: Velvet Underground

Fixed it so we could agree.

Reactions: NyQuil

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Overrated: The Beatles. Nobody could live up to the accolades they've received.

Underrated: R.E.M. Best American band ever.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->